Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 10:40 AM

Vets today for booster

Tilly's having her annual booster jab this afternoon & a general check up. I'm actually chickening out & getting hub to take her. I hate having to hold her still & I don't think I portray calm vibes! Since being spayed, the vets is not her favourite place & she'll need a muzzle.
Is there any after effects of boosters? I'm wondering if I'm in for a grumpy evening tonight.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-02-2010, 10:56 AM
Ollie is the same has too be muzzled and the whole ordeal stresses him out.

I always book vet visits when Gorden is around he takes over for me as I stress even before we leave the house. It doesn't seem to make a lot of difference but I am sure if I had him it would be 10x worse.

He is absolutely fine when we have left and he is never grumpy afterwards.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 11:02 AM
No idea! I don't do boosters for my dogs. Waste of time and money.
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-02-2010, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
No idea! I don't do boosters for my dogs. Waste of time and money.
I am interested in this theory. But how do you stop them picking things up like parvo etc.,
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I am interested in this theory. But how do you stop them picking things up like parvo etc.,
Hi Lynn

There is no real scientific evidence to suggest that annual re-vaccination is necessary, and that the effects may even be negative rather then beneficial. I do puppy vaccinations but that is all.

This is a good article summarizing the thoughts of numerous vets on the subject:

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/HEALTH/vacc.htm
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 11:29 AM
Hi Lynn

There is no real scientific evidence to suggest that annual re-vaccination is necessary, and that the effects may even be negative rather then beneficial. I do puppy vaccinations but that is all.

This is a good article summarizing the thoughts of numerous vets on the subject:

http://www.lowchensaustralia.com/HEALTH/vacc.htm
im interested in this too because daphni is due for hers, but i dont know whether to take her. surely they dont need them every year? we dont have booster vaccinations every year for ourselves. maybe every 3 years, or maybe for i mated her, more for antibodies for the pups, but every year?
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
im interested in this too because daphni is due for hers, but i dont know whether to take her. surely they dont need them every year? we dont have booster vaccinations every year for ourselves. maybe every 3 years, or maybe for i mated her, more for antibodies for the pups, but every year?
There is certainly no evidence to suggest this. Quite the contrary actually. People just accept it because their vet tells them to do it every year and then they don't second guess it.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 11:40 AM
There is certainly no evidence to suggest this. Quite the contrary actually. People just accept it because their vet tells them to do it every year and then they don't second guess it.
yeah thats what i mean, we dont have boosters every year so why should a dog? i know the breeder my nana got her dogs off has hers vaccinated, then boosters, then she has them titre tested.
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 12:21 PM
I just got Louis revaccinated, I was tossing up the idea it wasnt needed every year, but I was to scared not to, from what I have read so far nothing solid is pin pointed either way, I just read the web site info given, and found it said they arent saying dont vaccinate but they have a theory which is yet to be studied and they feel it will lead towards yearly vaccinations not being needed.
I have not read enough yet to be convinced of this, and where I live is a huge parvo area and am not willing to risk it, that being said I won't be revaccinating Scratch as he is not in the best health and his liver is a bit dodgey, so he will not get done (except for maybe parvo), but Louis is in good health has no obvious side effects and since he hasnt got the goods anymore there will be no little Louis' running around in the future, so the gene pool issue doesnt worry me.
PS hugs to you and Tilly hope it all goes well and Tilly is home quickly.
Lorna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-02-2010, 12:45 PM
I have always had my dogs boostered and will have to with Chase because we plan on taking him abroad most summers (money permitting lol!) so he's had his passport jab etc.

I hope Tilly isn't grouchy Chase wasn't and neither have any of my other dogs been - Tara has been jabbed every year and she's nearly 15 - quite poorly at the moment, but I don't think thats anything to do with her jabs....old age got her in the end!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >