Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Dobionekenobi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2013, 11:49 AM

5 month old puppy - sloppy poo!

Hi all, just wondered if i can pick your collective Dogsey brains for 2 seconds.
Our Dobermann pup is now 5 months old and coming along beautifully. However, i don't know if i am being paranoid but i am slightly worried about her poos. They are really quite sloppy and smell incredibly strongly. She's eating well (am not over feeding her) and is otherwise the picture of health including still being wormed regularly. Should i be worried? She doesn't have any trouble passing them or anything else that would raise flags for me but i don't know if i am just being silly. Would appreciate your thoughts!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-01-2013, 11:52 AM
What is she fed on? Is every poo sloppy? How long has it been going on for?
Dobionekenobi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2013, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
What is she fed on? Is every poo sloppy? How long has it been going on for?
She's on Arden Grange puppy dry food which she's been on since she came to us. I cut out all other treats/biscuits incase it was something else triggering it but hasn't made any difference. The first one of the day is generally a lot more solid than the others but it's still not comparable to the "normal" poo from my other dogs.
Her poos have never been super solid but the last week they have been much looser. It's also the fact that they seem to smell so much more than the terriers (although obviously they are much bigger!!!!)
Dobionekenobi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2013, 11:57 AM
PS i have a vet's appointment booked for 3 weeks time anyway (figured a 6 month check up wouldn't be a bad thing) but should i bring it forward and get her checked out asap?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-01-2013, 12:19 PM
Well usually no two dogs poo the same even when fed on identical food etc, If the colour is normal and she seems fine in herself I'd probably keep the appointment you already have. One of my Dobermanns has always had looser poo than the other two, even now they are raw fed his although solid are not like the pebbles the others produce.
Dobionekenobi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2013, 12:27 PM
Thanks Trouble. Really appreciate it. Yes, the colour is fine and everything else about her says she's doing fabulously! Might have to indulge myself and go and post a few more pictures to show you how she's getting on!!!!!!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

02-01-2013, 02:49 PM
Here's a chart to help you identify it better:

And this thread might be of some interest: Dog Poop/Faecal Scoring Chart

Runny poo isn't normal.. so depending on how 'sloppy' it is I would want to investigate further - even if just to put your mind at rest.
Dobionekenobi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2013, 03:06 PM
Thanks Azz. Glad i had finished my lunch
Hmmm... at the moment her first of the day is a no.4, the second is a no.5 and her night time one is no.6.

My husband has just decided to order a bottle of Yum Puppy
http://www.lintbells.com/online-store/11/yum-puppy
as we have been so impressed with Yumove in the past and it says it aids digestion.

Either way, i think i might see if i can get a vet's appointment later this week - it can't hurt to have her check up happen a little earlier than planned.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-01-2013, 03:17 PM
Have her ears gone all sticky outty by any chance? Or one of them a bit funny shape wise?

Im wondering whether she may be changing her teeth?
Dobionekenobi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-01-2013, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
Have her ears gone all sticky outty by any chance? Or one of them a bit funny shape wise?

Im wondering whether she may be changing her teeth?
Nope to the ears but she is definitely teething like crazy at the moment! I found one of her teeth just yesterday - husband thinks i'm crazy as i have put it away in a special box for my mementoes etc!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >