Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
parsonsmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2012, 04:13 PM

Carpal Hyperextention

I will be speaking with the vet again about this problem, but in the meantime, has anyone else have experience of this with their dogs? ......and should I even consider it regarding Jacks age?

Jack is an almost 9 year old PRT. He injured his front right leg as a young pup, an unknown injury, he was in the garden, screamed and ran to me holding his paw aloft.

Vet said he had injured the ligaments and advised it was not good to operate at that time as Jacks bones were still growing and the extended crate rest he would have to endure after an op could be psychologically damaging to a young terrier pup.

He was treated with metacam, rest and he had a cast for about 6 weeks. Gradually reintroducing exercise.
He coped really well, would still run around, but sometimes overdo things and then be limping the following day.

I bought a leg splint/boot thing for him to wear on his walks, to support his leg in the correct position, but that didn't really work as he would just carry his leg when he wore it.

The last 6 months or so, things have got worse. Some days he will start limping after just 10 minutes walking in the park off-lead. Other days he'll run but be limping after resting in the evening.

The vet only offers metacam, no treatment as such.
Should I ask about an op? or is it too late for that? is it unfair to put a 9 year old dog through it all?

Jack is a fit lil dog, loves his walks and it seems so unfair that he's hampered by this.

I've added this link to show the problem.....
http://www.michvet.com/Client%20Educ...n%20injury.pdf
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2012, 06:30 PM
The problem with small dogs and foot injuries is that they can manage perfectly well with 3 feet unlike larger dogs.

TBH I would imagine that his ligaments have ossified and tendons and muscles have shrunk irreparably after so many years.

Have you considered Physiotherapy via an ACPAT practitioner?

They can work wonders or at least tell you if they can help or not.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2012, 06:35 PM
Many JRTs I've known run about on 3 legs sometimes for what seems like just the fun of it? Or just because they can.

Your dog's condition sounds just like my own. Really bad accident on ice in the UK 2+ yrs ago. Left leg will never be 100% now. Will go for ages just fine and then suddenly have me limping and struggling and cramp and all sorts.

And ALWAYS bad first thing in the morning until I 'get going'. This is where owning a dog has really helped. Have to get out there and walking whether I feel like it or not and it always eases off when I've been walking for 10 mins or so.

But - if I go too far or walk on difficult terrain - it comes back to remind me and I am limping home!
parsonsmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2012, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
The problem with small dogs and foot injuries is that they can manage perfectly well with 3 feet unlike larger dogs.

TBH I would imagine that his ligaments have ossified and tendons and muscles have shrunk irreparably after so many years.

Have you considered Physiotherapy via an ACPAT practitioner?

They can work wonders or at least tell you if they can help or not.
So I should forget about going down the op route then?
I agree, Jack gets about on 3 legs quite efficiently, but it has given him other problems too.
The fact he compensates for the bad leg throws his spine out of alignment and he gets a trapped nerve. He goes for chiro treatment 2-3 times a year and she straightens him out. He also gets regular massage at home.
I haven't tried physiotherapy, so will look into that option.
Thanks for your input.
parsonsmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Many JRTs I've known run about on 3 legs sometimes for what seems like just the fun of it? Or just because they can.
Yes it does seem to be quite common to the breed. My other PR does it, but that's more of a skip with his back leg.

Jack doesn't limp in the morning after resting all night, it's only when out and about or after resting after a walk in the evening.

Sometimes I wish he he could talk and tell me exactly how he feels! He has such a 'pathetic' look when he holds his leg up and yet he never shows any sign of pain when his foot is touched, even when the vet examines him. I guess that's a terrier stoic thing.