View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2012, 12:56 PM
I still dont get why apple cores a bit issue (used to have this argument when I had rabbits (argue with rabbit people...scary!)

Although, will never forget the look on Ruperts face when he stole some raw onion that I dropped a few years ago..."what the hell is that, thats not food"
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-05-2012, 01:01 PM
Originally Posted by krlyr View Post
You'd need to feed a dog probably a cup of apple pips to cause any harm, and crush them first, so the odd apple core isn't going to do much at all!
That's good because I've created an apple core devouring Monster.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2012, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by labaddicted91 View Post
Over the years I have heard obviously chocolate, raisins, grapes, fatty foods and caffine are bad for dogs, which seem to be common knowledge.

But then I've heard others- e.g. garlic, potatoes, brocolli, red meat, certain nuts, apple cores, dairy products and cereals are apparently lethal to dogs or not very good for them, which sort of goes straight against the idea of using liver cake for treats with garlic and cheese! Also alledgedly the 'best' foods for dogs and puppies use these ingredients.

Please can we put together a list of must not, should not, not often, occassionally, shouldn't harm your dog if he's not allergic and harmless?!

I just look at nature ... what does a wild canid eat ... and that is what I feed my dogs. Raw meat, raw fish including bones, carcase, skin, feather and innards - especially raw green tripe. Raw fruits and vegs. In addition they get aloe vera, EPA and they get cooked vegs, scraps and left-overs. This latter sentence of course is not "natural" food, but I don't like waste and I like to give supplements.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2012, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Potatoes (and tomatoes) are part of the nightshade family, which I guess is why potatoes have made it onto the list.

I wouldn't eat a green potato, therefore, I wouldn't feed it to my dogs...

My two have milk every morning (and a weetabix! ) and they are just fine (at 5 and 6)
I've been told that weetabix is really good for dogs by various people down the line ha.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2012, 04:56 PM
One of my GSDs once dug up and ate the gladiolus bulbs I had just planted! I was told I should have worn gloves when planting them so she couldn't smell my scent on them!

Lord if you saw a list of things old Sal ate in her time - by no means all of them came under the heading of 'edibles'
Bitkin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 09:01 PM
I suppose that as with humans, some dogs may become ill after eating certain foods........but if Jimmi does very well indeed on salmon and potato, and windfall apples and plums if I don't get to them first! He also has garlic tablets every day.

Chocolate is of course a definite poison for dogs though.
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Originally Posted by Bitkin View Post
I suppose that as with humans, some dogs may become ill after eating certain foods........but if Jimmi does very well indeed on salmon and potato, and windfall apples and plums if I don't get to them first! He also has garlic tablets every day.

Chocolate is of course a definite poison for dogs though.
strange how there are lots of dogs that eat chocolate with no problem what so ever,
my old dog et stupid amounts of choclate in his life time and lived till 15
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 09:17 PM
One of the guys at my oh's shoot feeds his dogs a mars bar for lunch every day when they are out working
Hanlou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-05-2012, 09:18 PM
Originally Posted by marley123 View Post
strange how there are lots of dogs that eat chocolate with no problem what so ever,
my old dog et stupid amounts of choclate in his life time and lived till 15
Just like people that smoked 20 a day and lived to be 90 - still doesn't make it advisable.

Whisper never gets chocolate from us. To her - a treat is just that - liver treats are designed for dogs but they are also safe for her. I think we 'humanise' treats too much! Yes I love chocolate but I think Whisper is just as happy with her Pet Munchies Liver treats and they don't present the danger of toxicity that chocolate does. So why take that risk? I won't.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2012, 09:21 PM
The dog across the road here howls when he hears the ice cream van and wont shut up till he gets his flake - every day
Hes 10

Not that I am feeding my dogs chocy but I am sure in the undergrowth behind the railway they get allsorts - Ben has had a chicken curry and a spag bol and Mia found a whole roast chicken ( crazy woman leaves food out for foxes)
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >