Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-05-2012, 11:31 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
It's worth asking your vet whether you have lungworm in your area. I asked mine and he said in 35 years he has never seen one case of it.
It seems to be spreading like wildfire at the moment. I'd never heard of it round where I live until my neighbour a few doors up nearly lost one of his dogs to it and got landed with a £1700 vet bill.

Needless to say, mine are now on a preventative.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2012, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
It's worth asking your vet whether you have lungworm in your area. I asked mine and he said in 35 years he has never seen one case of it.
My vets may say the same I don't know but maybe because people are becoming morw aware and giving preventative treatment.

Because I have never taken an affected dog or aksed for treatment does not mean there is no issue as I get my wormers online.
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2012, 01:48 PM
OK, but as worms can only be treated and not prevented, how often do people think dogs ought to be wormed in order to prevent a serious infestation?

I rarely worm my dogs, but they are due a treatment as they have had a few rabbits lately, and I am considering changing from Drontal to Panacur, just to cover all bases.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2012, 01:50 PM
Remember that the standard worming dose of Panacur won't treat lungworm, it's a 7-10 course (at half dose). Personally I just started treating with Advocate monthly so they're constantly covered in case of an infestation, too many slugs and snails around my area for my liking, when my two are serious grass grazers. But if lungworm isn't so prevalent, I'd perhaps do it everyone 3-4 months, so 3 or 4 times a year? I'm not sure how long a worm burden needs to cause permanent damage, but I don't think I'd want to leave it more than a few months.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2