Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 09:13 PM

Duck wings

I got Jake a whole load of duck wings... but he isn't too keen on them. He will crunch them up, but won't actually eat them. I even tried to hide one in with his chicken wings, but he just picked it out and left it by his dish

I'm not sure whether to just persevere and keep giving him them, and seeing if he will eventually eat them... or, flash fry them so they are partly cooked but the bone isn't... what would you do?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Louie just snatched his two off me.. I'm surprised I still have fingers.. how odd of Jake..
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 09:21 PM
If it were me, I'd get my other dog to eat it (presuming that they liked it), just to get their jealousy up a bit to spur them on actually eating it, then if it kept happening, I'd just stop feeding it to them.

Would it help if you gave Paddy one, and then get Jake to watch him eat it?
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-02-2012, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by SLB View Post
Louie just snatched his two off me.. I'm surprised I still have fingers.. how odd of Jake..
Jake does that with chicken wings just not the duck... It is a new taste for him though, so it might just be realising that... I did wonder if he thinks it is a funky tasting chicken wing I got 10kg of the blooming things though so he will eat them!

Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
If it were me, I'd get my other dog to eat it (presuming that they liked it), just to get their jealousy up a bit to spur them on actually eating it, then if it kept happening, I'd just stop feeding it to them.

Would it help if you gave Paddy one, and then get Jake to watch him eat it?
I'm not sure if Paddy would eat them either... When he stayed here, I fed him raw and the only thing he wasn't sure about was chicken wings I think it was the texture, but like Jake, he crunched them a lot and them left it for Jake to eat He didn't hesitate to eat the chicken necks though... or anything else I gave him Might give Paddy a try though...

Failing that, I hope it won't be too long until there is a new addition, so hopefully they will like them
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 09:28 AM
My 3 were a bit off with duck the first time they had it. I chopped them into chunks with my poultry shears and they ate it then and have been fine since. Must have a completely different taste.
cava14una
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 09:30 AM
I bought mine reduced duck legs as a Christmas treat once. Cava ate his fine but Zymi deboned his ate the bone and left the meat
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 09:48 AM
mine wouldnt eat the duck wings either... i dont know why.. i got rid of them because i knew dogs that would eat them with no bother, and i couldnt be bothered with me messing about tempting them to eat
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Wyrd View Post
My 3 were a bit off with duck the first time they had it. I chopped them into chunks with my poultry shears and they ate it then and have been fine since. Must have a completely different taste.
Oh, I will give that a try with Jake It must be confusing sometimes for them when things look the same, but taste different... I do wonder if Jake thinks it is a funky tasting chicken wing

Originally Posted by cava14una View Post
I bought mine reduced duck legs as a Christmas treat once. Cava ate his fine but Zymi deboned his ate the bone and left the meat
Oh, clever Zymi!

Originally Posted by x-clo-x View Post
mine wouldnt eat the duck wings either... i dont know why.. i got rid of them because i knew dogs that would eat them with no bother, and i couldnt be bothered with me messing about tempting them to eat
Oh, Jake will be getting hounded to eat them after getting 10kg, I will give it my best shot I do hope though, that if he doesn't like them, then my future dog will so they won't go to waste...
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post

Oh, Jake will be getting hounded to eat them after getting 10kg, I will give it my best shot I do hope though, that if he doesn't like them, then my future dog will so they won't go to waste...
how long do you plan on keeping the duck wings in the freezer for?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-02-2012, 07:33 PM
I guess they might taste quite different to usual
I know with fish I have to chope them up a bit for mine to eat them - so mibby if you chop some chunks to give him a taste

I was saying I would buy them off you but I dont have room for 10kg!!!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >