Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mahooha
New Member!
Female 

05-02-2012, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
Have you dog DNA tested for MDR 1-the gene responsible for the adverse reactions, it can be done by"buccal"swab(swab taken from the inner cheek of the dog)& sent off to the Laboklin then you will know whether it is safe to give to your puppy
Hi there, just thought I'd point out that after fully reading the link in this post I can see that milbemax is only classed C which means "Can be used only in the permitted application form and dose!" for dogs with MDR1. So I'm guessing with my dog not reacting to it, and it being classed as C, she is ok with it. She was very sick after another wormer(prazitel) she'd been given so I'm now inclined to use the milbemax, I will ask the vet about it but I don't think he knows too much about MDR1 anyways as he didn't mention it.

I was also wondering about getting dogs neutered and is there a risk with this? Has anyone got an MDR1 dog neutered/spayed and did they need to take any special precautions? I feel a bit paranoid/puppy hypochondriac asking a vet to use specific drugs etc when spaying my dog because she MIGHT have a mutant gene he's never even heard of, haha.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2012, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooha View Post
Sorry JoeDeeUk I just realized the price is on the link to laboklin, and that you can do it yourself, I'll discuss this with my husband and see if we can find the funds for it. Have you used this service before?
All my BCs are tested & don't have the mutant gene so I have no worries about a reaction. You don't have to have it done immediately if you ensure that your vet is aware of the drugs not to give(print off a list & give it to him)

I'm lucky my vets are all very interested in health testing & the results
rita1
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-05-2012, 03:01 PM
My collie is prescribed Milbemax & Advocate, & I, too, didn't realize about danger to collies until I read labels. Vet said Milbemax goes out of their system quickly, & as she's shown no adverse reaction, neither should cause a problem. I would prefer not to use them though, & I do alternate Advocate with Frontline Plus, but there are so many slugs about & I'm concerned about lung worm so difficult to know what to do for the best
houndi
New Member!
Female 

16-05-2012, 06:23 PM
ive 4 rough collies and never use this,i use panacur,and frontline
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2