View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2009, 02:23 PM
As he is old enough, why not just get him neutered anyway?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2009, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
As he is old enough, why not just get him neutered anyway?

I don't have my dogs castrated except on medical grounds, why should I put him through an operation when there is no medical reason for doing so.

Suprelorin can also be used to gauge the effect of physical castration, unlike Tardak, which is female hormone based. If Suprelorin doesn't affect a male's behaviour, then there is no point in castration. Suprelorin mimics castration
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
I don't have my dogs castrated except on medical grounds, why should I put him through an operation when there is no medical reason for doing so.

Suprelorin can also be used to gauge the effect of physical castration, unlike Tardak, which is female hormone based. If Suprelorin doesn't affect a male's behaviour, then there is no point in castration. Suprelorin mimics castration
Each to their own. But IMHO, for a fully mature pet dog that is not to be used for breeding, that is displaying hormonally charged behaviour, why not just go ahead and neuter? Pretty much all of the intact males around here behave as the OP's dog does. Following my neutered male, licking his parts, desperately trying to mount and jump all over him. I could care less about dogs being intact provided they are under control and well trained, but managing/training an intact male isn't always easy. For those that can, great. For those that can't, get them fixed so they don't bother other people.

I know that neutering won't magically solve all hormone based behaviour problems, but I don't think that it is a coincidence that 95% of intact males around here (which, thankfully, there are not many of) behave in the way I described above and we have never had a problem with neutered males.
gemma riley
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Our 6yr old male Sibe has had the implant in.

He's changed from a grumpy old man to a silly puppy, even playing with the puppy we have!

The implant is perfect for us as we can still show him, which he really enjoys but we dont get any of that horrible boy stuff going on.

Its only £42 aswell! Bargain in my eyes!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-09-2009, 04:47 PM
Originally Posted by labradork View Post
Each to their own. But IMHO, for a fully mature pet dog that is not to be used for breeding, that is displaying hormonally charged behaviour, why not just go ahead and neuter? Pretty much all of the intact males around here behave as the OP's dog does. Following my neutered male, licking his parts, desperately trying to mount and jump all over him. I could care less about dogs being intact provided they are under control and well trained, but managing/training an intact male isn't always easy. For those that can, great. For those that can't, get them fixed so they don't bother other people.

I know that neutering won't magically solve all hormone based behaviour problems, but I don't think that it is a coincidence that 95% of intact males around here (which, thankfully, there are not many of) behave in the way I described above and we have never had a problem with neutered males.
The reason entire dogs are interested in your dog is because he is castrated

He doesn't follow every dog/bitch around just my bitch isn't going to be bred from & will be spayed in due course.

I may breed from him at some stage(health tests permitting)& I'm not a lop them off because they are there person anywhere.

I do hate(& I mean hate)the Americanism"fixed"my dog doesn't need to be"fixed"as he isn't broken. It's used to make people with entire dogs/bitches feel inferior because their dog/bitch hasn't been"fixed"

There's a good old Yankee saying"If it ain't broke why fix it ?"
Schip
New Member!
Female 

17-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Something to consider before using the Supelorin it can have a negative effect on a male too. I used it in Jan on my 9 yr old male in a bid to reduce his prostrate gland, something that can affect males later in life. To start with it upped his sex drive, didn't help the girls came into season earlier. We had to do 2 tardak jabs to calm the urges down which was great but once the 2nd one had worn off I had a wreck on my hands.

It had a devastating effect on his personality to the point where he bacame agraphobic, he'd go out do his business and then dig at the door to be let back in, once in he'd do the same with his crate door. The implant is wearing off but he is still not wanting to be out for longer than 30 mins never again will I use this implant for any of my boys.

At least now he's happy to have his cuddles again and doesn't 'need' to be in his crate 23 hrs a day, he's happy to sleep on the bed/sofa/chair with me and a 9 yr old rescue that's with us at the min.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-09-2009, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Schip View Post
Something to consider before using the Supelorin it can have a negative effect on a male too. I used it in Jan on my 9 yr old male in a bid to reduce his prostrate gland, something that can affect males later in life. To start with it upped his sex drive, didn't help the girls came into season earlier. We had to do 2 tardak jabs to calm the urges down which was great but once the 2nd one had worn off I had a wreck on my hands.

It had a devastating effect on his personality to the point where he bacame agraphobic, he'd go out do his business and then dig at the door to be let back in, once in he'd do the same with his crate door. The implant is wearing off but he is still not wanting to be out for longer than 30 mins never again will I use this implant for any of my boys.

At least now he's happy to have his cuddles again and doesn't 'need' to be in his crate 23 hrs a day, he's happy to sleep on the bed/sofa/chair with me and a 9 yr old rescue that's with us at the min.
hi,
the implant is not indicated for use in reducing the prostrate gland(ypozane tablets made by the same company is)
i would find it very hard to believe that the implant has caused your dog to be 'agraphobic'
still,im glad things are looking up for you and your dog.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
From the first day I got Jessie he wouldn't leave her alone & as she hadn't had a season & at that time I was hoping to breed from her(won't because her hips are c*** & she has had one very odd season), within a week or so of him having the implant the first week it was available, he lost all interest in her & when she did eventually have a season despite her throwing herself at him, he either ignored her or offered her one of his tuggies to play with.

Apart from the side effect of testicle size reduction, nothing physically has changed with him-he is a BC smooth coat BTW
Thats great Dyane, just the sort of thing I wanted to hear.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2009, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
hi,
the implant is not indicated for use in reducing the prostrate gland(ypozane tablets made by the same company is)
i would find it very hard to believe that the implant has caused your dog to be 'agraphobic'
still,im glad things are looking up for you and your dog.
The hormone Deslorelin is a treatment for human prostate cancer.
A non-surgical method to suppress testosterone - first launched in Australia in December 2004 and New Zealand September 2005. It can be used for long or short term suppression of reproductive function of dogs and in situations where a reduced testosterone level is required, such as controlling antisocial behaviour and treating prostatic enlargement.

My Rjj isn't the bravest of dogs, but his behaviour hasn't changed, except for him no longer pestering Jessie, which is exactly what I wanted it to do.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by Schip View Post

I do hope that your vet has reported this to Peptech. Did your dog actually have an enlarged Prostate ?
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >