Our sister sites
Our sister sites
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2009, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I'm suck a dick

Was in a bad mood but you have cheered me right up today!!!
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

17-01-2009, 08:09 PM
all this cracks me up!!!!pidge i thought you were a vegitarian....LOL....sorrry......
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

17-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
I wouldnt get wound up by it, In one way its good to know people care enough to say things like that, Yes it may feel a bit Patronising, but I wouldnt let it upset you, it may just be because hes a puppy, Just say something like,
Yes I had realised that when the last one lived for 12 xmas days! And there was me thinking by mid jan it would just vanish in a puff of blue smoke
even if you didnt have a dog before.
I can see how that might seem patronising but I agree with Shona, please don't assume the worst in people and don't get fazed when people say this to you. Bear in mind that there's probably far more people in the world who don't give a damm about dogs than there are caring loving owners.

You may well be in the latter category but how am I to know if I meet you and your fabulous dog

The rescue centres are becomming overloaded because people don't understand the commitment that having a dog involves.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
Monty was off the lead on the beach the other day and i took my eye off him for a split second and he'd run up to a couple who had a little girl of about 6 or 7. I ran to retreive the dog and by the time i got there the little girl was in floods of tears so i naturally felt bad and apologised and said that Monty just loved people. This woman had a right go at me and said they hadn't had chance to introduce her kids to dogs and that my dog should be on the lead.

Anyway i just politely said to her that there were a lot of dogs off the lead on the beach that day and that again i was very sorry - the little girl is really crying hard now - and went on my way.

Sure i appreciate that not everyone likes dogs but why is it my fault if her kid has developed a fear of dogs and then they go to a place where there a lot of dogs?!?!
Hi Esmed, not having a pop but you do need to try and put yourself in the child's shoes.

I love dogs, always have, always wanted one but wasn't able to until a few years ago. I also have 2 kids who, when they were little, were scared of dogs as we didn't know anyone who had one. We'd be in the park and cute little fluffy things would run up to us, I'd be wanting to pet them but my kids would be trying to climb up me in fear. The owner would usually shout over that the dog was friendly but by then, of course, the kids would be too wound up to be introduced calmly.

Now I confess that I have also been on the other side of this, knowing what it was like I was always careful with Pepper around children but one day a family came round a corner and Pepper's enthusiastic greeting upset a child. I was mortified and like you I apologised and I was fortunate that the family wasn't too cross. But please bear in mind it was your off lead dog who didn't recall to you that has really upset their child, so you need to think about their response in that context and not try to shift any of the responsibility.

I also think it is completely unreasonable to suggest that people shouldn't go to this place if they don't like dogs! Although, as the owner of an overly people friendly dog I'd like to ban all non-dog lovers from any where we go, but it's just not going to happen, is it?

J
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2009, 12:43 PM
why not ? im Sh*t scared of bananas, so i wont go to places where there are peeled ones. I dont expect people not to eat bananas infront of me or tell them not to. i just move before the ...arghhhh PEELING...... i will NOT tolerate people putting the skins in my bin in the office though OMGGGGGGGG!!!!!!
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
why not ? im Sh*t scared of bananas, so i wont go to places where there are peeled ones. I dont expect people not to eat bananas infront of me or tell them not to. i just move before the ...arghhhh PEELING...... i will NOT tolerate people putting the skins in my bin in the office though OMGGGGGGGG!!!!!!
LOL LOL

I'm so sorry to mock the afflicted but that did make me laugh. Although I have to say my 6 year old reacts in a similar fashion to bananas!

But the key phrases are "I dont expect people not to eat bananas infront of me" and "i will NOT tolerate people putting the skins in my bin". So you don't avoid bananas but expect people to keep their bananas under control.

I think you have just agreed with me!

J
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2009, 01:23 PM
I appreciate all the comments good and bad and know that we have to work harder on Monty's recall, majority of the time he is very good at it.

My point was, i was very nice about it, apologetic and she spoke to me like i was something she had picked off the bottom of her shoe and that was what annoyed me. I know its probably mothering instinct or something but there was no need for the rudeness.

She is just as entitled to be on that beach as me and my dog are - more so in some ways as had it been summer Monty would not be allowed there.

Maybe its my lack of understanding as i've always had dogs in the family and even after being pinned to a wall at the age of 7 by one i still love dogs. I appreciate that not everyone is tolerant of them or is used to them but then i'm also not used to kids and how kids react to things as i've never had one.

I feel a bit disheartened by this thread to be honest and am now wishing i had not posted as some comments here have made me feel like i'm failing as a dog owner.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

18-01-2009, 01:35 PM
I feel a bit disheartened by this thread to be honest and am now wishing i had not posted as some comments here have made me feel like i'm failing as a dog owner.
please, please PLEASE don't feel that way.
Mother*ship
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2009, 01:38 PM
I appreciate all the comments good and bad and know that we have to work harder on Monty's recall, majority of the time he is very good at it.

My point was, i was very nice about it, apologetic and she spoke to me like i was something she had picked off the bottom of her shoe and that was what annoyed me. I know its probably mothering instinct or something but there was no need for the rudeness.

She is just as entitled to be on that beach as me and my dog are - more so in some ways as had it been summer Monty would not be allowed there.

Maybe its my lack of understanding as i've always had dogs in the family and even after being pinned to a wall at the age of 7 by one i still love dogs. I appreciate that not everyone is tolerant of them or is used to them but then i'm also not used to kids and how kids react to things as i've never had one.

I really hope you don't think you are failing! Please don't be disheartened or stop posting. OMG! How old is Monty????? He's still a baby! In that case I am a complete disaster as a dog owner!!! Pepper is 2 1/2 and still has to trail a long line because, despite all the hours and money I have spent on her, she is an over confident mare who follows her nose and becomes selectively deaf.

Also that woman shouldn't have been rude to you, it was unnecessary when you had apologised, but she may have been stressed by the distress of her little girl.

I just think the earlier post came over a wrong, sorry if I misinterpreted it.

You are so lucky to have grown up with dogs, I really envy you, I'm always telling my parents that I had a deprived childhood because they wouldn't let me have a dog! I plan on making up for it now, 2 so far and certainly more to go!

J
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2009, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I'm suck a dick
Lol and I thought vegetarians only went for the nuts?
Page 4 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »