Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2009, 06:45 PM
Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
It's a shame we can't pm new members, bijou, you have a lot to learn. You have made me cross with your shabby treatment of a well respected member of Dogsey.

Red mist decending, I'm going for a cuppa.
2 sugars, milk for me please, any bickies?
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2009, 06:45 PM
Sorry bijou, I apologise for my last post.
I have PMd you.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2009, 06:46 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
2 sugars, milk for me please, any bickies?
Coming up!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2009, 06:46 PM
It's a shame you can not understand the reasoning here. Also I doubt whether there are any puppy farm on Orkney....it's not big enough and not in easy reach.

The BC's you will get there however, will be sturdier and more weathered than your average bred Border Collie.
Fernsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2009, 06:52 PM
Originally Posted by bijou View Post
...and this is OK ? - sorry but irresponsible breeding is just that - whether it's done in Orkney or some puppy farm in Wales

The pups are here , what would you suggest be done with them .Should they be PTS because they were not planned and their parents have not been health tested ?
Do they not have the same right to have a decent home and life ?
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-01-2009, 06:53 PM
look I'm really not being difficult here and I apologise if I've upset Snorri or his friends - it's a big bug bear of mine that the working world seem to think that their dogs are somehow exempt from inherited diseases and don't bother to get them health tested etc and that the rules that the rest of us try to adhere to do not apply to them ! - I just could'nt work out why folk were just accepting that it was ok to get a pup in this way

thank you Nippy for your PM - I do understand the specific difficulties in this case - I wish Snorri well in his hunt for a new companion.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by bijou View Post
look I'm really not being difficult here and I apologise if I've upset Snorri or his friends - it's a big bug bear of mine that the working world seem to think that their dogs are somehow exempt from inherited diseases and don't bother to get them health tested etc and that the rules that the rest of us try to adhere to do not apply to them ! - I just could'nt work out why folk were just accepting that it was ok to get a pup in this way

thank you Nippy for your PM - I do understand the specific difficulties in this case - I wish Snorri well in his hunt for a new companion.
Thanks bijou....... friends?
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
It's a shame you can not understand the reasoning here. Also I doubt whether there are any puppy farm on Orkney....it's not big enough and not in easy reach.

The BC's you will get there however, will be sturdier and more weathered than your average bred Border Collie.
Totally Agree YS

I don't think anyone would disagree Bijou, that in general terms of course health testing is important, and is a vital part of breeding any breed of dog.

It is also important, IMO, to note, that in places like Orkney (Sorry Snorri) breeding is not done to make money, it is not a case of farmers churning out badly bred pup after badly bred pup purely for fiancial gain.

The working dogs up in that neck of the woods are predominantly that, they live outside, pretty much fend for themselves and are there to provide a service to their owners. One or 2 lucky ones end up in a pet home like Kali and the late Shorri-dog. The ages these dogs live to is testimont to their health as they are often livingin pretty harsh conditions (no offence Snorri - yours are lucky lucky pups)

Many of the farmers, owners etc are able to quickly diagnose complaints and illnesses where some vets would struggle because that is the way it has to be in remote (apologies Snorri) communities especially Island communities.

Is it right? Many would say its not, BUT that is the way it is. And if Snorri and people like him want a dog that is where they have to get one from and the means they go about getting one. If these same farmers churned outlitter after klitter of pups and advertised them throughout the uk for vast sums of money many people would be up in arms. BUT this is acaase of hardy bred working line dogs having a litter and local people giving them a home.

I bet the level of recues in that neck of the woods is lower than most other places.

JMO for what its worth
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-01-2009, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
My Kali is a tough wee b*gg*r who won't take any cr*p from man or beast, and he doesn't give a cuss about weather. His late brother (Snorri) was tough about weather, too, but not as tough psychologically (which made him an even better pet).

Snorri

E.T.A.: the rehoming agency here has closed, because there was nothing for it to do. It was a one-woman show anyway.
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-01-2009, 06:57 PM
The pups are here , what would you suggest be done with them .Should they be PTS because they were not planned and their parents have not been health tested ?
Do they not have the same right to have a decent home and life ?

...but unless we shout form the roof tops that buying pups from unhealth tested, unplanned litters is WRONG then we will never win the battle against all the thousands of irresponsible breeders out there !.
Page 6 of 14 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »