Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by Greyhawk View Post
Why do you assume that good breeders are only interested in showing/working. All the reputable breeders I know want good homes for their pups above all else. If they go to a working or showing home then that is merely a bonus.
The very nature of working and showing causes the breeder to produce pups that are less suitable as pets.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Originally Posted by Paddywack View Post
No Greyhawk my comparison was with regards to line bred dogs. Like I mentioned to reduced the risks of a pup ending up with health problems is to purchase from a breeder who doesn't line breed but does health test
Not necessarily, an out crossed litter can be just as much (if not more) of an unknown. As well as out crossing further perpetuating a defective gene throughout the gene pool, you never know when two of those defective genes will meet up - therefore you can not categorically state that an out crossed litter will be healthier than a line bred one.
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-08-2008, 09:49 AM
Not necessarily, an out crossed litter can be just as much (if not more) of an unknown. As well as out crossing further perpetuating a defective gene throughout the gene pool, you never know when two of those defective genes will meet up.
Two defective genes for the same condition are a lot less likely to meet in an opened gene pool through out crossing than in an inbred reduced gene pool.

therefore you can not categorically state that an out crossed litter will be healthier than a line bred one.
Certainly very likely, and even more so if out crossing to a different breed.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2008, 09:50 AM
The very nature of working and showing causes the breeder to produce pups that are less suitable as pets.
I will acknowledge that working dogs tend to have more drive and are not always suitable for pet homes however how does showing cause a pup to be less suitable as a pet? On the whole, show dogs should have better temperaments as they have to be in close contact with multiple dogs of a vast number of different breeds which they have never met before. They also have to be gone over by a large number of people, again all strangers.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Two defective genes for the same condition are a lot less likely to meet in an opened gene pool through out crossing than in an inbred reduced gene pool.
Not if that line does not carry the defective gene.

Certainly very likely, and even more so if out crossing to a different breed.
Why on earth would anyone want to outcross to a different breed? The vast majority of people do not believe in cross breeding and those that do are mostly in it for the money (thinking of all the designer cross-breeds here - cockerpoos etc).
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Not if that line does not carry the defective gene.
That's the thing the breeder has no idea of the majority of defective genes their line is carrying (some can be tested for, many many more can't) Some will start showing themselves in the pups they've sold from an inbred mating.

I will acknowledge that working dogs tend to have more drive and are not always suitable for pet homes however how does showing cause a pup to be less suitable as a pet? On the whole, show dogs should have better temperaments as they have to be in close contact with multiple dogs of a vast number of different breeds which they have never met before. They also have to be gone over by a large number of people, again all strangers.
Show dogs who have been inbred/line bred are less likely to produce healthy pups free from hereditary conditions. I'll find some links later for anyone who's been following this thread.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2008, 09:58 AM
Show dogs who have been inbred/line bred are less likely to produce healthy pups free from hereditary conditions. I'll find some links later for anyone who's been following this thread.
I would certainly be interested in seeing those links, I am still amazed that you think that breeders who have been health testing for generations and removing affected dogs from the genepool are less likely to produce healthy dogs than people who don't health test or people who breed solely from pets.
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-08-2008, 10:02 AM
Strange how your stats are very different to that of other rescues. It seems bybs and pfs outweigh dogs from reputable breeders but certainly no where near asmuch as you suggest.

Many of the ones bred as pets will have come from bybs pfs not ethical breeders breeding pet quality. Although they of course will end up in rescue too.
I don't think our stats are strange, they are just stats - an honest reflection of the dogs that have come in to us.
Out of interest, in our breed I haven't come across "ethical breeders breeding pet quality" (lots of people breeding "pet quality" but none of them ethical!).
To me a commercial breeder is a commercial breeder and the difference between someone "breeding pet quality" in relatively small numbers and a puppy farmer is just one of degree.

Mick
Paddywack
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-08-2008, 10:08 AM
I would certainly be interested in seeing those links, I am still amazed that you think that breeders who have been health testing for generations and removing affected dogs from the genepool are less likely to produce healthy dogs than people who don't health test or people who breed solely from pets.
Greyhawk are you deliberately trying to twist what I have been saying?

I have not said a breeder who doesn't health test produces healthier pups than those who don't.

To quote myself, as you have obviously intentionally or unintentionally misread me somewhere along the line.
My advise, if a person has chosen to buy, is to find an reputable and ethical breeder who doesn't show or work their dogs but is breeding quality pets from health tested parents. Show dogs tend to be line bred, working dogs tend to be too hyper/'worky'. The majority of dogs in this country are kept as pets, therefore people should search for a breeder who treats this as a priority over anything else.
No Greyhawk my comparison was with regards to line bred dogs. Like I mentioned to reduced the risks of a pup ending up with health problems is to purchase from a breeder who doesn't line breed but does health test
I'll have a look for the links later and post them on here.
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

08-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Paddywack - Maybe it's just me, but I find your assertion that show dogs and/or working dogs aren't likely to make good pets quite funny. We work and show our dogs, and, as you can see they make awful pets:-

Mick
Page 5 of 14 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »