Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-12-2006, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by nissanmad View Post
I don't agree on cross breeding dogs to get them to be born without tails,that's our choice not the dogs.
Yes you could very well breed out some problems but introduce even more health issues.Out crossing is a risk,the fault maybe a recessive gene but if both dogs carry it then chances are you could introduce this fault into your breeding programme.
No i don't agree that dogs are bred purely to be pleasing to the eye,responsible breeders do alot of research,breeding for type temperament and quality,not so they look good to the eye.
but dont you think some times crossing two similar breeds can get rid of certain health issues
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-12-2006, 08:49 PM
Originally Posted by Hayley SBT View Post
Think about what you just said thier staffer

So why would you want to carry on breeding more health problems
and the only reasons dogs suffer so many more health problems today is because people what to breed for comestic reasons without regards to the dogs itself, or preserving the orignal breeds, only wanting to change them for the worse

Look at the british bulldog, the show world has changed these dogs in to the canine cripple where u need to wipe its bottom after the toliet, you can cripple a dog physically but the sadest part of it all is you wont cripple the dogs mind and it proberly thinks it can bait a bull (which i dont agree with before u all jump) but because of the comestic reasons then it cannot all because of the wonderful mankind

sorry but the tail is the apart of the spine, why would you want to mess around with it, leave it alone before we damage our dogs even more than they are
so we should all stop breeding
yes its part of the spine
but isnt it better to try and breed dogs with no tails rather than butcher them?
even if the ban comes in do you think ppl are going to stop i dont think so so wouldnt it be better to try and breed them with no tails as when the man comes in lots of porr dogs are going to die a painful death because they are going to be docked behind doors and if anything go,s wrong do you think they will be taken to a vet for treatment i dont think so they will be left to die
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-12-2006, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by Nicci_L View Post
There are also numerous problems with other breeds so lets not go there...

No one is asking you to understand, no one has asked you to own a Bulldog and until you did you wouldn't know what some of these dogs are actually capable of..I think sometimes you go a little OTT.

My gran bred and showed Toy Poodles for over 40 years, she did extremely well with her dogs and yes she did have to wipe their bottoms.

I owned a St Bernard and admit to having to also wipe his bottom!

I wouldn't know Hayley, I don't have the answers to that question I didn't live 100's of years ago...
what haley go other the top never
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2006, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by staffer View Post
but dont you think some times crossing two similar breeds can get rid of certain health issues
No,not always,especially if there are hereditary issues,
We don't need to cross any breed,we need to improve what we already have,otherwise what is the point?
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-12-2006, 09:08 PM
No,not always,especially if there are hereditary issues,
We don't need to cross any breed,we need to improve what we already have,otherwise what is the point?
sometimes if we need to improve we have to out cross its been done for centurys .
and when i mean cross i mean two similar breeds
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2006, 09:21 PM
Outcrossing is different to deliberality breeding two different breeds,outcrossing is a term i would use to describe the breeding of two dogs that are unrelated within the first four or five generations of a pedigree,within the same breed,it does have it's place in a well thought out breeding programme.
Crossing of two different breeds,in this day and age,when there are so many dogs needing homes i think is irresponsible.
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-12-2006, 09:24 PM
Outcrossing is different to deliberality breeding two different breeds,outcrossing is a term i would use to describe the breeding of two dogs that are unrelated within the first four or five generations of a pedigree,within the same breed,it does have it's place in a well thought out breeding programme.
Crossing of two different breeds,in this day and age,when there are so many dogs needing homes i think is irresponsible.
no out crossing can be with a differant breed and in any age when we first started to make pedigree dogs ther were still many dogs needing homes that will all ways happen and the dobermann would not have been here if it hadnt been for rescue kennels or dog pound
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-12-2006, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by inkliveeva View Post
I see your getting an Akita soooon, have you owned one before ?
Unfortunately, no.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-12-2006, 09:38 PM
Originally Posted by staffer View Post
no out crossing can be with a differant breed and in any age when we first started to make pedigree dogs ther were still many dogs needing homes that will all ways happen and the dobermann would not have been here if it hadnt been for rescue kennels or dog pound
That was years ago,when dogs were first crossed,in my opinion,i don't think there is a need to do it now,certainly not deliberatly so they don't have tails.I will disagree with your explanation of outcrossing.If i was mating my bitch to a dog that wasn't related to her,i would say i'm going out of my lines,which i and alot of other breeders call outcrossing.
Breeders that want to improve on there stock will usually line breed,to try and eliminate structual and health problems and to aim for a more consistent litter.
staffer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-12-2006, 10:11 PM
That was years ago,when dogs were first crossed,in my opinion,i don't think there is a need to do it now,certainly not deliberatly so they don't have tails.I will disagree with your explanation of outcrossing.If i was mating my bitch to a dog that wasn't related to her,i would say i'm going out of my lines,which i and alot of other breeders call outcrossing.
Breeders that want to improve on there stock will usually line breed,to try and eliminate structual and health problems and to aim for a more consistent litter.
no they line breed because they have there perfect breed standard and dont want to add anything back into it they out cross to get rid of ceratin traits and bring in new traits

but we are going around and around in circles here i respect your opinion
but i have my own opinion thanks
Page 5 of 14 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »