Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2012, 07:33 AM
Originally Posted by Littlepony View Post
My GSD was health tested. Good hips an elbow scores.

10 years on hips are fab but spine is riddled with spondylosis.

I will rescue from now on and take my chances!
hMMM THAT sounds logical.

So YOUR dog was hip and elbow scored with good scores.

Was his dam and sire?

At 10 years of age, MOST dogs have skeletal changes, it is called "wear and tear".

I am struggling to understand why you would rescue than get a puppy SOLELY on health grounds?

Cannot see the connection?

But good luck with your lottery ticket.

It is a bit like saying

"I bought an (insert relevant make) vacuum cleaner. It kept breaking down so next time I am going to buy one from a car boot sale"

Rather than saying:

"I bought an (insert relevant make) vacuum cleaner. It kept breaking down so next time I am going to consult "Which?" magazine to research which vacuum cleaners have the best record of longevity and reliability and select one of those models"

Of course such selection does not ELIMINATE problems, but it MINIMISES the odds of them.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2012, 07:39 AM
Wendy Beasley recently imported a GSD bitch from the Czech republic.

She spent a great deal of time researching the lines etc etc The bitch she brought in have siblings with no issues, and the parents and grandparents have good hip scores.

However.

When she put this bitch under for scoring, she was called in by the vet so she could see the plates.

TGHe pelvis was assymmetrical and in addition to this her ball joints were of different sizes and as such the plates would not be accepted for scoring.

She was naturally devastated as she was hoping to use this as her foundation bitch.

Now she cannot work her or breed from her.

Does this ergo mean that hip scoring is irrelevant?

I do not think so.

Do you think she would be interested in a pup from a sire who had a hip score of 20/2?

I do not think so.

The fact that healthy dogs can produce dogs with issues is what is called "nature", we can try our best, but nothing is perfect.

IT is no different from healthy parents asking themselves why they have children with disabilities etc.

It happens.

That is life.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2012, 07:42 AM
Originally Posted by crestnut View Post
Seems the breeder never always thought breeding from an uneven hipscore was good infact she thought it was trouble!! Wonder what changed her mind Mmmm
Taken from a gsd forum

I can only tell you of my personal experience. Back in 1990 ish, a friend had a bitch called Arhaus Flick of Greywing who had a score of 8/9 and mated her to a dog with a score, as best I remember, of 4/2. The pup I bought from this litter ended up with a score of 6/31. I kidded myself that it was due to a serious accident he had when he was 3 months old and bred a litter from him, from which a couple of the pups were severely dysplastic so I never used him again. Later, I bought Flick and when I got her original pedigree, found her mother had a score of 5/32. I would consider a very lopsided hip score as an indication of trouble, though you can get a bit of varience of the xray is tilted.
Interesting. I will forward this post to the breeder herself.

However, I have reported this post as crossposting from other forums without the poster's permission is extremely bad manners and I would imagine is also very much against forum rules!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2012, 07:57 AM
Seems the breeder never always thought breeding from an uneven hipscore was good infact she thought it was trouble!! Wonder what changed her mind Mmmm
Taken from a gsd forum

I can only tell you of my personal experience. Back in 1990 ish, a friend had a bitch called Arhaus Flick of Greywing who had a score of 8/9 and mated her to a dog with a score, as best I remember, of 4/2. The pup I bought from this litter ended up with a score of 6/31. I kidded myself that it was due to a serious accident he had when he was 3 months old and bred a litter from him, from which a couple of the pups were severely dysplastic so I never used him again. Later, I bought Flick and when I got her original pedigree, found her mother had a score of 5/32. I would consider a very lopsided hip score as an indication of trouble, though you can get a bit of varience of the xray is tilted.
yes people's words do tend to come back to haunt them.

there are also several similar examples that I could quote from MNJ on this and related health subjects from other forums which I have refrained from cross posting.

For those who are interested in results of tested progeny from sires (not all of whom have been tested themselves) here is a UK list for ED

Also demonstrates those breeders who have used males WITHOUT scoring them!

http://www.jaquenetta.com/GSD%20Elbo...s%20League.htm
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2012, 08:34 AM
Just to add my tuppenceworth---if I was looking for a specific dog for a specific purpose I would go for a health tested one---however I would also know that that is not the be all and end all of it. I might well avoid breeders who I thought were breeding from what I considered to be high scores.

Having said that I don't think I'd ever again look for a specific dog for a specific purpose---even just to be a pet! So I'll just continue to take what comes along and deal with it!

I do know GSD breeders I wouldn't ever go to. Health testing being the least of the reasons!

rune
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
What about a breeder that fully health tests and to eliminate conditions breeds the same sire many many times?
Anyone that breeds from a dog ,knowing they have bad health results, is as bad as one that does not bother and crosses their fingers all is going to be well.

Re-reading your post, do you mean, a breeder who health tests , gets good results and breeds from a dog (with good results) many times?
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2012, 08:46 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
What about a breeder that fully health tests and to eliminate conditions breeds the same sire many many times?
What about them? There's not really enough information there for me to give an informed opinion.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-04-2012, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Interesting. I will forward this post to the breeder herself.

However, I have reported this post as crossposting from other forums without the poster's permission is extremely bad manners and I would imagine is also very much against forum rules!
Why, as she will know what it entails, as she wrote it

The old saying .never put it to paper if you don`t want it to come back on you , is a lesson here
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2012, 08:51 AM
It's a case of 'playing the odds' for a puppy buyer. Buying a pup from health tested stock lessens the odds of the pup going on to develop the specific problem it's parents were tested for.

For the breeders, it's much more important than playing the odds. The more testing that is carried out and the more they breed from clear stock, the more chance there is of eradicating diseases from the breed.

Nature will continue to throw up the unexpected, but sensible breeding will hopefully help nature to be a little more predictable as time goes on
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2012, 11:45 AM
Taken from a gsd forum

So there we go: a dog with a high hip score has been bred from and dogs have suffered as a result. All that could've been prevented had the health tests been listened to. And it would seem she has not learnt her lesson either as she continues to breed with dogs with poor health test results??? How incredibly sad for the dogs.
Page 6 of 14 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »