Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2012, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
If i'm brutally honest, if a dog I was looking at buying didnt come from health tested parents then i'm not sure if it would put me off.

I know both of Flynn's parents were hip scored and that's as far as it went. Dont know about Jessie as she's a rescue and Jed was from a BYB so I know nothing about his family history at all.

I am a believer that all dogs who are to be bred from should have a full compliment of health tests and the results should be satisfactory before they are allowed to reproduce. But as a puppy buyer and knowing that in the real world it's not going to happen, health tests wouldnt be at the top of my priority list.

Yes, I know, it's hypocritical.
I think I might be with you on this one - my thoughts are a bit of a jumble at the moment, with more questions than answers!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2012, 02:57 PM
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
I personally think it's important as it gives us an idea of the health of a breed and certain lines - however, it's taken too far in some cases, and a hip scored dog will be used despite having a poor temperament, sticking out elbows, untypical head, terrible movement etc. because on paper he looks like a good dog.

In my breed hip scoring is done by some and not by others. I'd like to see it done routinely, but I do think the scores should be looked at as part of the picture, not the be all and end all. I used an unscored male on my bitch because I couldn't find a hip scored male that fit the bill. The boy I used is sound and comes from a line of sound dogs that are fit into old age. I could have used a hip scored dog but would have been compromising on temperament and type.

A hip scored male won't necessarily produce sound or low scoring progeny. I think you need to look at several generations of one line before you have a true representation of the hip status of that line. This is something I hope to accomplish within my own line - dogs which throw low scoring progeny. These things take time however, and many people in the breed would like to see only very low scoring dogs used. I think an above average scoring dog could be used on a low scoring bitch, provided he was a very good example of the breed.

ETA: I've only ever had ONE person ask about hip scoring when enquiring about puppies, out of maybe 20 ish. Most people have never heard of it.
Excellent post (although I am surprised you haven't yet been jumped on by the holier than thou brigade ). The points you have made are the same queries I now have.

A dog can look healthy on paper with all health tests done but in reality that dog might have skin issues, might be completely unsound, or be reactive or have an aggressive temperament or genetically predisposed to torsion etc etc. This is what leads me to wonder whether certain dogs shouldn't be ruled out of the gene pool on their health results alone.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2012, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
it seems like u guys are only thinking hips and elbows...

theres dm. pituitary dwarfism haemophillia and many many eye conditions amongst others.... so u guys think its ok to breed dogs that could suffer from these and could be eliminated by testing?
I did mention DM and Haemophilia However, I agree there are certain tests in various breeds that should be done in order to eliminate (where possible) the condition. I suppose hips and elbows are controversial because no-one knows what causes HD and ED.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2012, 03:09 PM
The only time I would think of having a dog from non health tested parents would be if the dog was a rescue.

There is no excuse for not fully health testing any dog for any of the genetic/clinical conditions the dog could have.

I do think that all breeding animals should be hip & elbow scored as a minimum.(the only exception would be a racing bred Greyhound-as no case of HD has ever been found in the Greyhounds that are pure racing bred.

I would expect all the smaller breeds to be check for Patella luxation(slipping patella) as this is quite common amoungst all small dogs regardless of breed

I would also expect all the DNA tests available to be done on breeding dogs that were not normal by parentage. Their is no excuse for breeding from dogs for which there is a DNA test available & that isn't normal by parentage.

Designer crossbreeds/mongrels should also have all the tests that would be done on the breeds they come from or may contain.

Health testing has certainly worked for ISDS registered dogs, when the eye screening scheme was brought in around 30% of all registered ISDS dogs had PRA or CEA. By simply clinically screening all dogs that are to be bred from, breeding from only unaffected dogs & removing from the gene pool any dog that had sired 2 or more affected puppies & any bitch that had produced 1 or more affected puppies, the incidence was reduced down to 0.01 % affceted dogs being found. The DNA results to date show that the reduction is correct & also that the numbers of carriers is also now much lower than before the clinical tests started.

The same cannot be said for Rough/Smooth collies & Shetland Sheepdogs as only a relatively few dogs are tested & even less DNA tested so the incidence has probably increased
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2012, 03:15 PM
I'll repeat what I said in the other thread. The problem is some health testing is black & white ie haemophilia testing & some is really complicated like hips which are part heredity, part environment & even two dogs with equal scores do not produce the same results in their litters. When hip scoring & using the results first started it made a big difference & the breed average improved but now it is not as useful in Germany & they are adding a component to a dogs results dependent on whether he/she improves their progeny or not. I know when looking for a sire I look at his progeny results & his litter mates results just as much as his.
As for DM it is a start, as it has been found to be an auto immune problem. The marker may not tell the whole story but it definitely helps.
I think a lot of the problem is back in the 50's when we started breeding many puppies died in the nest or young but the ones who lived were healthy & even in pets itwas survival of the fittest producing the right dogs to breed from. Now vets can do so much more but this can mean less healthy dogs entering the gene pool & skewing the statistics.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2012, 03:19 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
The only time I would think of having a dog from non health tested parents would be if the dog was a rescue.

There is no excuse for not fully health testing any dog for any of the genetic/clinical conditions the dog could have.

I do think that all breeding animals should be hip & elbow scored as a minimum.(the only exception would be a racing bred Greyhound-as no case of HD has ever been found in the Greyhounds that are pure racing bred.

I would expect all the smaller breeds to be check for Patella luxation(slipping patella) as this is quite common amoungst all small dogs regardless of breed

I would also expect all the DNA tests available to be done on breeding dogs that were not normal by parentage. Their is no excuse for breeding from dogs for which there is a DNA test available & that isn't normal by parentage.

Designer crossbreeds/mongrels should also have all the tests that would be done on the breeds they come from or may contain.

Health testing has certainly worked for ISDS registered dogs, when the eye screening scheme was brought in around 30% of all registered ISDS dogs had PRA or CEA. By simply clinically screening all dogs that are to be bred from, breeding from only unaffected dogs & removing from the gene pool any dog that had sired 2 or more affected puppies & any bitch that had produced 1 or more affected puppies, the incidence was reduced down to 0.01 % affceted dogs being found. The DNA results to date show that the reduction is correct & also that the numbers of carriers is also now much lower than before the clinical tests started.

The same cannot be said for Rough/Smooth collies & Shetland Sheepdogs as only a relatively few dogs are tested & even less DNA tested so the incidence has probably increased
Do you think the ISDS should do more though? Do you think they should bring in compulsory testing for HD and other conditions that affect the BC?

When you say that you would only buy from tested parents, are your ISDS collies tested for the whole range of tests, or just the ISDS stipulated eye test?
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2012, 03:20 PM
There used to be a set of lists of hip scored dogs that had been used at stud & whose offspring had be also hipscored & this showed which dogs were improvers for the breed. Our Echo(German import as a 13 week old puppy & hip scored 0:0=0)was a hip improver as all his scored puppies had lower scores than their mothers(obviously could not be lower than his ) One litter produced 4 x 0:0=0 & the bitches score was around 12 I think & all the others were well under 12.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-04-2012, 04:15 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
You are on the wrong thread Jackbox
Nope, I am on the right thread Moobli.

Health testing - How important is it?
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-04-2012, 04:17 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I agree, and I would do all health tests required if I were to ever consider breeding.
Why, when you dont consider them important
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Nope, I am on the right thread Moobli.
"So do you think its ethical to breed from a dog with poor hip results, a dog from a very large genetic pool??"

This thread is a GENERAL thread. If you want to discuss a PARTICULAR dog or mating, please speak to the breeder concerned.

Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Why, when you dont consider them important
Can you please point out where I said I didn't consider health tests important.
Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »