Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2012, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
I think he is genuine about the JWD issue, genuinely concerned enough to do something about it ie the research. Still ongoing. It's all worth a try. The last PDE programme appears to have opened a can of worms...
I agree it does sound like something that needs looked into right now bwfore things get worse
lol well we knew it would be causing debate, be good if it brings attention to this quickly and something can be done before it is too bad
celli
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-03-2012, 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by DoKhyi View Post
It's a ridiculous state of affairs when you get 'top sires' in any breed producing sometimes tens of litters and several hundred puppies. Even in breeds with high numbers of dogs.
The results of that sort of breeding can be seen in SBT's, it's thought that L2 originated from one popular Stud in Scotland.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-03-2012, 02:19 PM
When the research into the gene came to light it was discovered that more bitches than dogs were affected.

I have sympathy for anyone who has spent their life putting all into a successful show breeding kennel to have something like this knock them back. It must be a devastating shock.

As a whole it needs to be looked at as to what hope is there for future generations, for those unfortunate enough to buy the pups & those pups/dogs who are affected - what can be done.

One consideration perhaps could be looking at importing dogs from other countries, is this something that could be considered - whose dogs do not carry the JKD gene
I agree Helen, this sort of thing can happen to anyone, and for a kennel to be totally devastated by having things placed at their door, BUT I can understand why they have to try and cover it up, people would be more understanding if they made it public and worked to eradicate it.

Not sure if bringing in new blood from abroad is the answer, that can also be temperamental to the breed..look at Cardiomyopathy

I think everyone needs to work together on this for the sake of the breed.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

03-03-2012, 02:21 PM
Did she know at that stage the bitch had JKD? Apparently it can strike some young ones very suddenly - which also comes into question what age was the bitch when she died
I dont know?

From the programme the bitch was diagnosed very early on, well before she would be old enough to whelp a litter, so one would expect the diagnosis came before the mating?

I dont really know, just putting two and two together, it may be making ten not sure.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

03-03-2012, 02:23 PM
Originally Posted by celli View Post
The results of that sort of breeding can be seen in SBT's, it's thought that L2 originated from one popular Stud in Scotland.
Trouble is, its always going to happen, a popular sire will be in demand..you only have to look at Yogi (the HV) to see that , he has completely bottlenecked the breed.

there is a new dog (Boxer) that has just been brought in to the UK, from abroad, people are already queuing up to use him on their bitches, he will be (in the time he is here) , very popular and we will see many litter from him within a few mths.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2012, 03:09 PM
You wouldn't see as many if the owners of the stud were not doing it for the money.

rune
Dobermann
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
You wouldn't see as many if the owners of the stud were not doing it for the money.

rune
that and the glory of 'my ch has sired the most ch's in his pups..'?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Trouble is, its always going to happen, a popular sire will be in demand..you only have to look at Yogi (the HV) to see that , he has completely bottlenecked the breed.

there is a new dog (Boxer) that has just been brought in to the UK, from abroad, people are already queuing up to use him on their bitches, he will be (in the time he is here) , very popular and we will see many litter from him within a few mths.
Where is he from J? I was thinking along the lines of the German dogs, I wonder how they stand regarding JKD & heart disease etc?
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post

rune

Exactly.

IMO there should be a limit to the number of litters a stud can sire
mcrobs
New Member!
Female 

03-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by leadstaffs View Post
What do people think of this bit
I think you ought to be very careful, as my vet said today, she was not diagnosed until the day or her section, and had never shown any signs, and if you care sling any more mud then there may be court action, this is slanderous !!
Page 3 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »