Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

25-09-2011, 06:10 PM
Originally Posted by WhichPets View Post
Great, I have started it and posted in the section.. I haven't finished the links yet but got to get to the parents for Sunday Roast

Glad I have been of a little help, will be back to work on the links later, and add some more information about why the items are appropriate if it would possibly be posted as an article.
It looks great thanks! I am sure we can work it into an article with the help of fellow Dogsey members

If anyone wants the link to it here it is: http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=154954 please do chime in

Enjoy your Sunday Roast WP! Making my hungry now lol
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

25-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Anyway - what do you think? Have a I gone mad or is this a good idea? The fact is soo many people are using those sites, and they go to them way before they come to us (which is usually after they've got a dog) so I can't think of any better way to reach out to them, or to have more of an impact on things.
I think it's a good idea Azz, it can only help to educate all those people who think getting a dog is like buying a telly.

Would you want Dogsey people to post on there with advice or whatever, we might need some 'guidelines' for doing that else there might be fights develop
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2011, 08:52 PM
I completely agree with you Tabitha... it will make my blood boil. But I am stronger now - I'm back on my detox and feel a lot more like my old self. I think we can do it so long as we keep the end goal in mind, and the impact we will and might be able to have.

Plus it will be nice knowing we helped kill-off those sites run by unethical people, or at least put a big dent in them

I think I'm trying to look at it like this: what would I prefer?

A 'free-ad' type site owned and run by a person who doesn't give a toss about dogs, or one by one that does - and who has plans to help educate people and make a difference.

I just think we will be able to do a lot more good than them - and getting 'new' owners from the outset will not only help Dogsey (which in turn is good for ethical social attitudes) but will also help that site where we raise money for charity.

We can rest assured that we didn't create the problem - but are merely taking it on from others but importantly, trying to fix it as well.

As far as I know, nobody has ever tried to tackle the problem like this - that's kinda scary, but sortof gives us some hope too?
Far few of us are prepared to stand up and try to put right what we believe to be wrong, you've got my respect that's for sure.....And to think I've posted that publicly, I must be going soft.

Btw, does anyone want my cold virus, its free to a good home lol.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

25-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
I think it's a good idea Azz, it can only help to educate all those people who think getting a dog is like buying a telly.

Would you want Dogsey people to post on there with advice or whatever, we might need some 'guidelines' for doing that else there might be fights develop
Glad you like the idea Harvey

Re Dogsey people posting there - it's not actually going to be a discussion site (we'll keep that here) but merely a 'classifieds' site where people post dogs for sale/adoption.

I will need you guys to help in getting the advice and articles tho, WhichPets has already started on one (see my post above).

It will have to be a carefully planned out strategy - we have to balance it so we're very subtle to begin with, as our main goal at the start will be to replace the other sites

Miranda, has already passed on some details of an RSPCA contact and is going to mention the idea to her when she sees her later this week - so hopefully we'll get some good tips and advice from her, and maybe even their support
Azz
Administrator
Male 

25-09-2011, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
Far few of us are prepared to stand up and try to put right what we believe to be wrong, you've got my respect that's for sure.....And to think I've posted that publicly, I must be going soft.

Btw, does anyone want my cold virus, its free to a good home lol.
Aww thanks Taz

I'll have your cold if you want - I seem to be fighting them off pretty well these days (I'm back on detox lol).
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-09-2011, 09:04 PM
Just copied this from one of the main puppy sites ..
A good reason at the start too,,

Aims

Our aim at ----- is to create the safest place on the web to assist in puppies finding owners. You may think it strange that we say puppies finding owners instead of people finding puppies, the reason for that is puppies come first at -----
In our aim to serve the puppies to their fullest we also list services, breeders and also serve information and help.

How

We run reports every day to ensure that ----stays a safe place for above all the puppies. As ---- is a family site we also try our hardest to make it a safe place for families. If you wish for more information on the reports we run or the other safe guards we have in place please contact us by clicking here.

Why

----- all started when I was looking for two puppies and I couldn't find any web sites that looked like they cared about the puppies. In the end I got Itchy and Scratchy from a classifieds site where my pups were being sold with second hand washing machines and old cots. This sickened me so I then decided to build a site that would help puppies and new owners connect. The site has been built so that all puppies can be added, from breeders and rescue centres to accidental litters from non breeders.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-09-2011, 11:16 PM
Aww thanks Taz

I'll have your cold if you want - I seem to be fighting them off pretty well these days (I'm back on detox lol).
Your welcome

You can have it lol. Tbh, I don't think it'll take long for my imune system to sort it out, its usually pretty fast at dealing with stuff.
kammi_sparky123
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-09-2011, 01:51 AM
I apologise if this has been said or been worked out already, but I only read a couple of posts as I am really tired and just wanted to post my thoughts quick..

I think if it worked it would be a good idea.

Would there be different sections for different dogs? Even just their group? If so, for all the "designer" crosses, you could have them all under "cross breeds", and it may then put people off spending a fortune on a daft name and false information?
GirondeDeb
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-09-2011, 09:39 AM
I'd vote for giving this a go. I don't think it will make things worse, as long as it's not giving a false impression of respectability to the unethical breeders...and if it can educate some of the ignorant breeders and buyers then the world will be a better place.

How about some sort of star rating like they do for sellers on eBay and Amazon? To get a good rating you have to score well on the checklist posted earlier, get voted for by previous buyers, and maybe get rated by Dogsey folk. This would help the better breeders and rescues stand out, and give ignorant breeders an incentive to improve. Sadly I doubt anything will make any difference to the scussy breeders....but that's not a reason not to try.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

26-09-2011, 10:30 AM
Personally I think if you get into bed with the devil you will get burned ...........

Am I understanding this right, you want to set up a site where anyone can advertise a litter/stud dog and so on...regardless of the type of breeder they are, but with a side note or disclaimer that...we (the site) only promotes good ethical breeding?

Yet you hope the message that gets across will be one that says dont buy from that advert, but from this one, because although we allow that type of breeder to advertise on our site, we recommend you buy from this type of breeder

We have knowledgeable people here who will help you find the right breeder,but we don't mind allowing the wrong type to advertise, but lets face it Azz, whats the right type of breeder, what is the right type of breeder for one person, is not the same for another, we already have members here who disagree on that million dollar question,

Lets look at it from the prospective members view point one who is searching fro a new pup/rescue dog , they find this new site and across the top says we support ethical breeding ....yet you open a page and find adverts for dogs that clearly are not from ethical breeders........confusing to say the least.

My opening sentence will tarnish any good intentions you may have , you cant lay down with the scum and not be smothered with the dirt...no matter the message you are trying to portray.........

Well that my view anyway, find another way to get the message across, why not put a header on top of every section on this site... and I would not link it to Dogsey, otherwise you may give the wrong idea. that we support any type of breeder and their adverts.........
Page 5 of 14 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »