View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 01:13 PM
Well I reckon we would see the end of certain breeds and byb puppy farmers would continue to sell inferior dogs black market. I know I certainly couldnt afford to mate a bitch and sell the pups at £150.00 I'd be in for a loss of about £2000 to £3000 a litter depending on vets bills and there's no way on earth we could afford it.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 01:15 PM
It would certainlly put a stop to breeders going abroad to use top class stud dogs and widening the gene pool in the UK, surely far more important?!
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
It would certainlly put a stop to breeders going abroad to use top class stud dogs and widening the gene pool in the UK, surely far more important?!
Yep you'd find the unscrupulous ones will mate family members again to save money and the health will suffer.
wilbar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 01:31 PM
The laws on taxation and where it applies to dog breeders are already extant.

Whether or not people abide by them or not of course is another matter..........
Yes of course it is a matter of conscience (or fear of being caught!) that informs someone's decision as to whether they declare profits or claim losses from dog breeding. Perhaps something that HM Revenue & Customs are already aware of?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Loving the reasons given but still not convinced.

Can you give a breakdown of how you'd loose £2,000 on a litter? Vets bills I can understand but really shouldn't be a given for most breeds.

I know how much (roughly) Tassle 'lost' on health tests, vets bills etc However that is part of the hobby of keeping, competing with and breeding dogs IMO.

I dread to think how much I have spent on vets bills, petrol, entry fees and feeding what I consider to be decent food over the years. It is my hobby and it is what I choose to spend my money on. Others may choose fags and booze or sailing, or golf or collecting items.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Stud fees would be forced down as well I expect.

After all if you have the good of the breed at heart you don't need to charge huge stud fees for a good dog----you don't incur any real expense as the dogs owner.

rune
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 01:39 PM
So stud dogs are not:

hip scored
elbow scored
eye tested (annually for some tests)
DNA profiled
Other tests where relevant
Herpes tested

or charged for entry into dog shows, temperament tests, breed surveys, Field Trials, GWT, Obedience, Working Trials etc?

Cost of Kennel name and maintenance?:

I could go on.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
I know how much (roughly) Tassle 'lost' on health tests, vets bills etc However that is part of the hobby of keeping, competing with and breeding dogs IMO.

But she then didnt get to the traveling and paying for a stud, paying for one or more scans, paying for vet checks while carrying, caring for her correctly while in pup ie upping foods, vet checks after litter is born on dam and the litter - pay any medical treatment needed. She would have also had to buy all her whelping equipement, whelping boxes, play pens, heat pads.. Equipment for hand rearing ect..
Raising a litter is not cheap ect ect ect... You could spend every last penny on your litter there is always something.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 01:42 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Stud fees would be forced down as well I expect.

After all if you have the good of the breed at heart you don't need to charge huge stud fees for a good dog----you don't incur any real expense as the dogs owner.

rune
I dont know anyone that charges huge amount for stud fees. Its normal for price of a pup or a pup. I know for sure if I was to stud one of our boys out it would only be to a bitch/mating I wanted a pup from - but then again our dogs have never been used at public stud.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2011, 01:42 PM
So stud dogs are not:

hip scored
elbow scored
eye tested (annually for some tests)
DNA profiled
Other tests where relevant
Herpes tested

or charged for entry into dog shows, temperament tests, breed surveys, Field Trials, GWT, Obedience, Working Trials etc?

Cost of Kennel name and maintenance?:

I could go on.
That is ALL part and parcel of the HOBBY of showing/working/having fun with dogs----apart from the herpes----I didn't know about that---I'll have to look it up.

rune
Page 4 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »