Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 08:03 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Nope - don't have an issue with either. But nor does anyone else that I have seen
well people clearly do have a problem with breeders making money or we would not be discussing how prices should be dropped `
People want to get rid of the bad breeders, so want to do something else that will only affect the good ... again.
Like I said yesterday regarding the licence for 9 litters a year, pups at 4 an avarge..£150 a pup. Thats still a big income. and we all know NO decent breeder would EVER dream of having 9 litters a year.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
well people clearly do have a problem with breeders making money or we would not be discussing how prices should be dropped `

Nope - I am surprised you have got that from this thread. NO-one (that I have seen) has been anti decent breeders making a profit, but there seems to be no fail-safe way to sort the good from the bad, the ABS was an attempt and has done the same - penalised the decent breeders.

People want to get rid of the bad breeders, so want to do something else that will only affect the good ... again.
Like I said yesterday regarding the licence for 9 litters a year, pups at 4 an avarge..£150 a pup. Thats still a big income. and we all know NO decent breeder would EVER dream of having 9 litters a year.
5k is not a big income. (and that is without taking into account ANY costs)
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
5k is not a big income. (and that is without taking into account ANY costs)
It is for a breeder spending little out, who also have family members bringing in incomes from work. Also I didnt think we were talking about breeders, breeding to live off the profit. Just making a profit altogether.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-02-2011, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
It is for a breeder spending little out, who also have family members bringing in incomes from work. Also I didnt think we were talking about breeders, breeding to live off the profit. Just making a profit altogether.
With that many dogs - you would have to take into account all sorts of general maintenance bills, so 5k would be dropped to at least 3 over the year. 9 dogs - feeding/vets/stud fees (unless thy have studs as well) in which case food would be higher)...

So no - I do not think 5k as a gross would be worthwhile at all.
(I have done a lot of budgeting in recent times!)
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-02-2011, 10:32 AM
That could only be considered a big income if it were undeclared and on top of benefits you can get more than that working 2 hours a day at a little cleaning job.
Motley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-02-2011, 11:07 AM
the problem is a lot of these people are not paying bills because they are not giving their animals adequate care. no health / vet checks and often only enough food to keep the dogs alive.

My dog was taken as a very young pup with his 10 brothers and sisters from such a situation. The mum was so uderfed how she was able to continue with the pregnancy at all is unknown, she looked like a skeleton with cling film over her bones obviously we have no idea how this will afect his future health but currently (he is 12 months now) he is very very healthy but always eats like its going to be his last meal!
Kanie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-02-2011, 01:41 PM
I can see the logic behind the OP - although like most other people here, it has too many pitfalls in practice.

I was interested recently in a breed and did some research - only to find it wasn't quite right for me (I see this as a positive result though: I've made an informed decision and had fun learning in the process) One of the factors that would have put them out of my reach anyway was the price - sily money considering that many are not bred from working and I specifically wanted a dog that I could work.

I suggest (repsectfully - ducking for cover ) that very high prices for dogs encourage the money-makers on one end the the people who see their dog as some kind of lifestyle statment on the other.

Just speaking for myself (I was raised in a slightly different culture than a lot of people, but anyway..) I am on a limited income and have commitments to family too. I would find it actually unethical to spend a bean on a pet dog and say £150 on a working dog from tried and tested parents.

That is not to say I would not be prepared to care for it properly, or that I do not have the experience and ability to be a very good owner - but I am not going to fuel a market that has gone crazy and I do not subscribe to the views that being able to shell out more than what is left of the monthly paycheque once the big bills have been paid is a sign of 'commitment'.

I know some breeders spend a long time researching bloodlines and travelling to shows for the right reasons (i.e. to assess the other dogs in relation to what they are trying to produce) but that is their hobby and their choice. If they couldn't find homes for their litters, what would they do? I'd be prepared perhaps to pay a bit more for a dog that had all the recommended health checks etc., but I'm not prepared to subsidise what is essentially somebody's hobby.

Each to their own of course, but I've always found if you are in the right place at the right time, the right dog will find you
Page 14 of 14 « First < 4 11 12 13 14