Our sister sites
Our sister sites
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by Hali View Post
Here are some of the options I have thought of so far:

Blackness - a wood walk with a fresh water burn at the beginning/end and a bit of a shingle beach. Nowhere to get a drink.

Vogrie Park - open areas and woods with a burn - bit of a slope down to/up from the burn. Has a wee coffee shop. Can be busy with families - particularly the open areas and round the cafe. have to pay (£1, I think) for the car park.

Beech at Queenserry - long track to a sandy, fairly quiet beach. There are coffee shops etc but this would add quite a bit of road walking to the walk. Parking can also be a problem if the weather is good.

Pentland Hills. Dog friendly pub called the flotison (sp) with walks from the pub. The big drawback is that I think that most of the walk from the pub is through cows/sheep so dogs would have to be on lead. A long walk (probably about 5 miles each way) from there would take you up to Harlaw reservoir which is a great place for dog walking. Unfortunately from the pub to the reservoir by road is a long way as there is no road route over the hills.

Peebles. Walk along the river - some open areas (can be busy if the weather is nice) and then quieter paths by the river. Dog friendly pub in peebles, but no outside area which, if lots of us go, might be a problem. Plus quite a way for most to travel.

John Muir Country Park Dunbar - woodland and beach. Not sure if there is anywhere to get refreshments + quite a way for most to travel.

John Clark Estate Penicuik-woodland & fields. Some sheep (though fenced off) nowhere for refrehsments.

Roslyn Glen. Walk along an old railway track to the river. Not sure about refreshments; there are one or 2 pubs in Roswell/Roslin, but don't know if they are dog friendly

Anyone else with any ideas please?
I'm being lazy and leaving where we're going with you Hun.....pubs sound good sure they will like our growd of doglets wherever....
elaineb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Am jealous Can I sneak myself into your suitcase Steph

Elaine xx
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by Misty-Pup View Post
I know near me, on the B6362, inbetween Lauder and Stow, there is, what I describe as a moor, that I have seen people walk dogs, also seen some sort of doggy event held on it!
Not sure what the area is called, will ask around and find out!!
Not sure if it will be too much of an awkward place for people to meet though!!
The Scottish Working Trials Society hold their WT stakes up there, but as it also a grazed moor (ie lots of sheep), I am not sure it would be suitable for this type of a walk.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 04:27 PM
Some good suggestions so far Hali.

I am not sure where all of the walks are but am sure I could find them on the map. I only really know of walks in my local area, which would probably be a bit far for Steph to travel.

Is there a walk by the River Tweed near St Boswells? There is a very nice pub in St Boswells I believe (Buccleugh Arms) - Dani?
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-06-2009, 04:42 PM

Pentland Hills. Dog friendly pub called the flotison (sp) no outside area which, if lots of us go, might be a problem. Plus quite a way for most to travel.
Do you mean the Flotterstone? If so, it's great!

Unfortunately, I can't get there, because there's a nasty geographical feature called "the Pentland Firth" in the way. Also, there is no way I can predict my lads' behaviour Kali is getting a bit old for hordes of new friends, and Thorgeir is still an ill-disciplined little thug!

If you ever make it to Orkney, though............

Snorri
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

14-06-2009, 04:57 PM
Roslyn Glen. Walk along an old railway track to the river. Not sure about refreshments; there are one or 2 pubs in Roswell/Roslin, but don't know if they are dog friendly
Think "Da Vinci Code"

Snorri
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 05:07 PM
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
Do you mean the Flotterstone? That's the fella If so, it's great! I know the pub has a good reputation - just not sure about the walks round there - from the pentland hills website it sounds like that part is full of sheep Unfortunately, I can't get there, because there's a nasty geographical feature called "the Pentland Firth" in the way. Also, there is no way I can predict my lads' behaviour Kali is getting a bit old for hordes of new friends, and Thorgeir is still an ill-disciplined little thug!

If you ever make it to Orkney, though............

one day I'd love to do a tour of the Britain (with the dogs) stopping off to meet as many Dogsey members as possible. I'd make sure Orkne was on the list - its somewhere I've never been

Snorri
Originally Posted by Snorri the Priest View Post
Think "Da Vinci Code"

Snorri

I know - it was really weird reading the book
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 05:22 PM
The Flotterstone is nice but as you say, the walks are through fields with sheep.
What about Gullane, is there any dog friendly pubs there?

I think East Linton has a dog friendly pub and there is a walk along the River Tweed.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 06:29 PM
Of the ones Hali mentioned I think that either Vogrie or the John Muir park would be the best. Vogrie has a very dog friendly outside seating area next to the cafe. The wilder areas of the park are often deserted even at the weekends. The families tend to congregate around the play areas and cafe. I think that there is more walking to be found at Vogrie than John Muir too.

I think that John Clarke and Flotterstone would have too many sheep to be enjoyable.
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Some good suggestions so far Hali.

I am not sure where all of the walks are but am sure I could find them on the map. I only really know of walks in my local area, which would probably be a bit far for Steph to travel.

Is there a walk by the River Tweed near St Boswells? There is a very nice pub in St Boswells I believe (Buccleugh Arms) - Dani?
hello - yes the Buccleugh was nice and if it was a good day sitting outside in the garden is an option, and i think its totally enclosed too.

NOt sure about the walks in that area - will have a wee look on google !!

flotterstone and harlaw walks are full of sheep and very busy at the weekends too....
Page 4 of 14 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »