Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TJCeeJay
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-02-2014, 02:32 AM

Buds First Real Canoe Trip.

Hi all! Bud's only been out in the canoe for a few minutes at a time before this little trip. He's a silly dog! He has webbed paws, and if he needs to can swim like all get-go; but he hates the water. (Won't get wet past his belly.) Anyhoo, any time I went out into the canoe I had to put him on his leash and coax him into the boat, and he spent the entire trips in-between my legs. Finally, a couple days ago, it was sunny and just gorgeous out; so I decided that I needed to go play on the water, and get myself some vitamin D. (Sun on water, but mountains hide the sun in Butedale proper at this time of year.)

We went down to the dock, and without me having to do or say anything; he hopped right into the canoe. Yippee! He was still a little anxious on the water at first, but watching all the ducks and mergansers floating nearby seemed to relax him enough that he was able to extricate himself from between my legs and wander about the canoe to check things out on his own. (Having a large water bird of unknown type circle the canoe for 5 minutes certainly helped!) Thank you birdy!

Anyways, we paddle around the harbor for a while; then I brought us as close to the falls as I could to try and get some pictures. Strong current coming from those falls! Stop paddling for 15 seconds and you're suddenly 100 feet further away. (Makes for a pain in the butt to get a picture!)

Well, I managed to get some pictures of Bud and the falls. And I tried to get some shots of our birdy friend, but none of those shots turned out.

Annnywaaays, we had a great time, the sun was awesome to feel and Bud is a canoe dog now! Woo-hoo!

Anyhoo, here's a couple shots of Bud in the canoe.

Hiding between my legs at first.

And all chilled out and happy!

What a monkey! He's 1/3 standing, 1/3 sitting, and 1/3 laying on the seat. Didn't look the most comfy thing in the world, but it's probably warmer than laying or sitting on the floor of the canoe. I'll have to bring down my camping ground pad for the floor of the canoe for him next time.

Righty then, that was Bud's first real canoe outing, and with the weather supposed to be crystal clear, (but cool) for the next 4 days; I'm sure we'll be headed out again shortly. Maybe we'll head out to Work Island 1.3 miles (2.2 km) away, and do a day trip with a lunch and try and find the clump of Old Growth trees growing on the highest hill on the island.

Cheers!
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

02-02-2014, 09:20 AM
Good stuff !

Bud ounds like my Breagh - she hates going up to her belly too.
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-02-2014, 09:25 AM
Good boy bud, he sounds like he's getting there'
what happened to the other dog you were thinking of getting as a pal for bud?
I love reading about your life and looking at your pictures, a real live robinson crusoe lol.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
Female 

02-02-2014, 09:56 AM
Lovely photos.
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2014, 11:50 AM
Brilliant. I love reading about your adventures. Keep them coming.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2014, 11:55 AM
Happy and relaxed as always, he knows you'd never put him to any harm no matter how weird it seems to him that he can float on water. I love your life, your pics and especially your Bud

Please remember the camera when you take that day trip up to Work Island won'tcha, we are in awe of your surroundings just as you must be.
Blonderosie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2014, 12:26 PM
What a great life you have there. I love reading about it all and seeing all the photos
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-02-2014, 01:24 PM
Oh great more news from Butedale! Now that is a major advancement with you getting Bud to enjoy being in the canoe. And, as usual - GREAT PHOTOS!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-02-2014, 02:58 PM
Fantastic piccies as always of Bud, I've got 3 girls that adore the water and one like Bud that will paddle in it, but end of, if her tummy gets wet then she is out of there so fast.
The others swim and get totally soaked.
Looking forward to piccies of the Island and all the area.
You are so very priviliged to be where you are, I do envy you your life.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-02-2014, 04:20 PM
Bud looks as though he was 'born to it' and what lovely scenery
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >