Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2008, 03:48 PM

Tongue Piercing

Has anyone had this done on here?
My 16yr old daughter Charly is having hers done as I type and I can't help but feel worried.
Does it swell much? I am worried she will go to sleep tonight and it will swell and she will die in her sleep.
What can she expect over the next week and is there anything she can do to get it to settle quickly?
I have got her some Ibuprofin, some alchohol free mouthwash and a very soft toothbrush
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2008, 03:52 PM
My nephew had his done a few years ago , And it swoll quite badly and was quite sore for quite a few days , Sucking ice cubes helps xxdk
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2008, 04:00 PM
I had mine done when I was at Uni. TBH I've never been in so much pain (not even when I've had brain surgery). It doesn't hurt to have it done but for about 7 days after you can hardly talk.

I had to eat yoghurt, soup and ready brek for a week. My tongue the next morning was massive - it swelled to the capacity of the bar. My breath also really smelled bad for over a week.

Once it stopped hurting though I loved it. I don't have it anymore because I had to take it out when I had surgery and the hole closed up (it was a 6 and a half hour op!).
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2008, 04:06 PM
I've just put some Ice cube trays in the freezer to freeze. Thanks.
She has just rung to say its done
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2008, 04:07 PM
I had mine done over 10 years ago and it hurt when they pierced it, hurt for a about 12 hours afterwards, yes it was tender, but nothing i could not handle, as long as she has a good mouthwash, plenty of icecubes to suck on, it really does help the healing process
dalmatian lover
New Member!
Female 

02-05-2008, 04:09 PM
i had mine done and couldn't eat for a week!!! it swelled up too...i lost a stone in weight though!lol!mine went through a vein though and it bled for around 4weeks after.i kept it in though and i loved it.but i recently had an absess behind my bottom two teeth and had to take it out...i would never have it done again! but in saying that,my friend had hers done at the same time and had no problems!!she was eating a big mac 2 hours after having it pierced!
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Yeowch!!!!!

Hope she is fine and that she isn't in too much pain.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2008, 04:28 PM
I think I'll go and buy her a big tub of Chocolate ice cream, its her favourite and will probably help with the tongue swelling as well.
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-05-2008, 04:41 PM
for mouth soreness I recommend Corsodyl mouthwash and Rinstead pastilles.
Hope she is OK
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2008, 05:00 PM
Everyone is different and not everyone's tongue swells, but that is why they do it first with the longest tongue bar to allow for the room in case it does swell.

I had mine done over 12 years ago and apart from the initial pain, mine was fine. It didn't swell and I was eating (a pasty) within a couple of hours.

The reason you can't talk properly is because the long tongue bar sits in the roof of your mouth and in the pit of your mouth, restricting your tongue's movement. It's exactly the same as holding your tongue whilst trying to speak !! Also your tongue being a muscle has to 'learn' to manipulate letters differently with something sat on the top of it (the ball) (The same goes for when/if you change the shape of the ball to something different - it makes you lisp all over again )

As soon as you replace the bar with a shorter one (mine's the really short one) and your tongue 'learns' to manipulate your speech to accommodate the ball, it's fine

If it is painful/swollen, Ice cubes or Ice-cream are good, and soup for a few days
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >