Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
stanfan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-01-2010, 04:36 PM

Dog car travel

Now Stanley is bigger we are wanting him to travel in the car boot rather than on the seat with a harness and its a minefield!!!! We thought a crate is safest and have been looking at the sloping ones as we thought this would give him more space.
I wondered what you all use? Stanley is going to be on the large side (he's a boxer) and we have a Vauxhall Zafira. The ones that will fit don't seem to be that big but hard to tell when only looking at pics on computer, so can anybody give me some advice? What do you all use??
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Probably not a lot of help.....this is my lot.....

I actually went to a guy who fits out the vehicle as you want, but there are several places you could have a look - Barjo and Lintrain are the most common I think - and then have a look and see if you want a crate that is removable or a Tail gate?
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2010, 04:51 PM
I have a VW Sharan and I use a dog guard and tailgate guard.

If you go to agility net (.co.uk) they sell second hand guards and crates.

Also, cages direct (.co.uk) do some really good quality, well priced crates.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2010, 04:53 PM
Just had a look here...
http://www.dogguardsrus.co.uk/products.php?cat=671 (this is the 2005 model - not sure how old yours is?)
http://www.dogguardsrus.co.uk/products.php?cat=621
(this is the 1999-2005)

Barjo crates (1999-2005)
http://www.barjo.co.uk/custom-search-wizard
(2005 +)
http://www.barjo.co.uk/custom-search-wizard...
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by stanfan View Post
Now Stanley is bigger we are wanting him to travel in the car boot rather than on the seat with a harness and its a minefield!!!! We thought a crate is safest and have been looking at the sloping ones as we thought this would give him more space.
I wondered what you all use? Stanley is going to be on the large side (he's a boxer) and we have a Vauxhall Zafira. The ones that will fit don't seem to be that big but hard to tell when only looking at pics on computer, so can anybody give me some advice? What do you all use??
Hamster Baskets make "Dog Pods"for just about every car. Not overly expensive & they fold flat too !
stanfan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Wow Tassle that is some set up!!! Love it. The other suggestions are fab but a little out of our price range at the moment.
Will keep an eye on agility net though.
Do you think a crate is any safer than a tailgate? Was going to get a square crate to use as a travel crate and bed for when we're camping but the shape of the Zaf boot makes it necessary to get a smaller crate and can't really shove seats forwards because of leg room for kids. Ooooh for that lottery win lol
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2010, 06:24 PM
THere is a list of people who supply and fit cages on agility net as well (thats where I found the guy who did mine for me )
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-01-2010, 07:15 PM
I have a Renault Scenic (I should've gone for the Grand Scenic!) and used to have a double plastic crate in the back for the 2 boys and I removed all rear seats and had a wire cage for Jessie.

I got fed up with my car not looking like a car and not being able to take passengers so I removed all crates, put the seats back and refitted my dog guard. Annoyingly, Barjo dont do tailgate guards for my car.
stanfan
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-01-2010, 09:23 AM
Have just ordered a Savic sloping crate. The cheapest I had found was £80 on Pets at home but after a hunt round found the size we needed on sale for £40!!! I love a good deal!!!! Should come mid week so fingers crossed!!!
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by stanfan View Post
Have just ordered a Savic sloping crate. The cheapest I had found was £80 on Pets at home but after a hunt round found the size we needed on sale for £40!!! I love a good deal!!!! Should come mid week so fingers crossed!!!
Sadly cheap bargains are not always bargains in the ling run. I've had cheap crates in the past & that's exactly what they were cheap & not as good as the slightly more expensive ones.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >