View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2007, 07:20 PM

Got a bit of a dilema, need advice please!

Well, the gardener's young helper approached me this morning asking me to give the young lad next door his phone number, which he'd written on a card. We got into conversation about why? as you do when you're nosey like me, and it turns out he's asked him to get some illegal substance for him, i.e. like my turf! He said if I saw his dad, I could give it to him, but just say that his son wanted to get in touch by phone to go out or something

The more I've thought about this, the more I feel uncomfortable doing it. I'm quite chatty with my neighbours but don't know them well coz they've only been there a short while, and I've had long chats and a laugh with them but nothing on a personal basis. I'm now feeling, should I pop in and see his dad whilst he's off work with a broken ankle at the moment, coz he's stuck at home all day and is very approachable and friendly. It's not the fact that I wouldn't know what to say to him coz I would, I'm quite good at public relations, it's merely the fact of whether I should just do nothing, don't give the son this card with the number on it, or do something and approach either the mum or dad, coz in my mind, the kid's only 15 and maybe the parents don't know he does this kind of thing? Maybe they do, but they don't seem that type to me!!!!
Heeeeeelp please, what would you do in my situation then? I don't have kids, so I'm at a bit of a loss here. Would you want me to squeal on your kid in a situation like this or NOT???! Difficult isn't it!
sammerson
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-10-2007, 07:34 PM
Well, I don't have kids but I would think I would like to know. I'm like you though, I'm not sure if I would want to be the one to let them know. At the same time though, if the boy barely knows you, and thinks he can trust you with something like that, that's yet another bad decision he's making. How many more bad decisions is he going to make?

I think I would finally just have to tell the parents, they really need to know what's going on. The question is really, how to go about it. I would just try my best not to come off as "nagging" but more concerned. Let them know that the reason you are telling them is because you genuinely care, not because youre being the "nosey neighbor."
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2007, 07:38 PM
Your in a bit of a sticky wicket there.Could cause you no ends of trouble but then again your neighbours might appreciate your concerns.I'd say nowt and keep myself to myself as i'm a great believer in not getting too involved with my neighbours.Chances are they will find out for their selves what he is up to,xxxxxxx
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Well if it was mine, i would wanna know.
It might start with softer drugs but can soon devlop into harder stuff and a life of crime to pay for it.
From a mum of a 15 yr old lad.
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-10-2007, 08:44 PM
Very tricky.
As the mum of a 12 year old lad I would want to know. But could I bear being told by someone I don't know very well.
Yes, is the answer, I would rather know than not. But I would be mortified afterwards and might be a little distant with that person for a while, out of embarrassment.

Alternatively just "lose" or "forget" about the card. If the son is approaching your gardener's helper does that mean he does not really know anyone else to approach ?? Who knows?

Very cheeky of them both to use you as the go-between too!! and to place you in this position. I definitely would not pass the card on regardless because of their cheek!!

Good luck but don't loose any precious sleep over it!
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2007, 08:47 PM
I cant really comment here helena as i dont have children , sorry but i think its a very tricky situation to deal with good luck hun xxdk
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

10-10-2007, 09:01 PM
This doesn't sound right at all. So a young man working for your gardner asks you to pass on his phone number?? Why can't he just walk up to the door and say "Is X in?" if yes he can tell him his number, if no he would have to come back latter.

You could be implicated and even become an 'accessory' to a crime.

Tear up the card, forget he even spoke to you, and if mentions it tell him to use his own legs and not yours!!
maebme
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2007, 09:16 PM
I don't quite understand why he needed you to be a messenger for him really! It has put you in an awkward position. Maybe you should have a word with the gardener about his assistant
shiba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-10-2007, 09:30 PM
Hi agree with others, i wouldn't get involved personally let them do there own dodgy deals.

If it was a neighbour i knew really well i would tell, but if your not that close i would stay out of it. jmo
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

11-10-2007, 06:29 AM
Are the gardeners finished yet?
If not and they are coming back I would get this young lad on the side and give him the card back and very nicely say sorry I have thought about this am not happy and will not pass it on for you.If you need or want to get in touch you must do it yourself.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >