Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sutty
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 05:35 PM

Poor Sindy, I'm devastated

Sindy, the little Whippet x has been doing really well in the few weeks we've had her, except for an abnormal amount of pinkish thick discharge, the vet gave her antibiotics incase it was a minor womb infection but unfortunately they didnt touch it. We made the decision to have her spayed, womb, ovaries the lot out, so today I took her to the vets, stayed while he put her under and then I left, intending to pick her up in a couple of hours. I hadnt been gone 10 minutes when he rang and said there was something terribly wrong inside, things were adhering to other things and she had lesions so he thought she either had a form of cancer or a massive abscess on her liver and what did I want to do, should he open her up further and explore some more as he didn't want to carry on until he was sure what was the matter, so I said I was on my way back and to open her up a little more to see what he could find.
On getting back, he told me she had massive tumours in both ovaries and on her abdomen wall, and, in his opinion, the cancer is too far gone to do anything about.
He asked what did I want to do, he could pts her there and then. Now she is seemingly very happy and has a good quality of life at the minute, she eats well, plays with the others and doesn't seem to be in any pain. I told him to stitch her up and I would take her home and let her continue until I think she is going down hill or looks to be in pain. Everyone Ive spoken too since thinks I should have had her pts there and then, I think a few more weeks of being loved and being happy is the right thing, or am I being selfish
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Such an awful decision to have to make, and no time to think about it either.

For what it's worth, I would have done the same as you, if she had been in pain then thats a different matter but, as you say, whatever time she has left will be filled with love and happiness.

Thinking of you and praying that Sindy has lots more time with you xx
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 06:04 PM
So sorry to hear this . I agree with Sheree though, I would have done the same as you. You may not have a lot of time left together, but whilst she is happy in herself and carrying out her normal actitivites then why not give you both that extra time together? xx
EgyptGal
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Sorry, this must be a huge shock No one can say how they will react to something like this untill god forbid they are in this position, so don't worry about other peoples opinions and enjoy what time you have left with Sindy HUGS xxx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-02-2011, 06:11 PM
Hi Sue, sorry to hear you news. Sindy is your dog and this is your decision.

If she has 'a quality of life' in other words each day brings her some pleasure, she can eat and move around with easy and is not in pain I wouldn't have a problem with giving her a little longer.

However the moment she shows signs of pain or distress I would let her go xx
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Am so sorry will be thinking of Sindy and all of you whatever happens xx
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 06:15 PM
Its a very individual decision and whilst i would probably have let her go on the table, that isnt to say you made the wrong choice. There is no right or wrong in this situation.

Sorry to hear about her. I hope she enjoys what time she has left. xx
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-02-2011, 06:20 PM
I am so sorry.

If she is happy for now I agree let her be and enjoy her life whether it be days, weeks or months. We made this choice with Ollie and although yesterday we had to let him go I know the few short weeks he had left with us he was happy.

But we were aware over the last week things were getting bad again and made the decision to send on him on his way while he still had a wagging tail and his dignity.

It is very hard but you will know and you will find the strength when the time comes.

Wishing you all the best. X
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 06:24 PM
Oh I'm so sorry to hear this hun I think under the same circumstances, and if she was as well as you say, I would have done the same thing. It's not for anyone else to say. You know your own dog's quality of life.
My thoughts are with you xxxx
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2011, 06:24 PM
I'd have done the same as you I think.

rune
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >