View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 09:33 AM
I am not saying there MAY not be a place for such things (although I can think of plenty of ways of getting dogs to do or not to do stuff without the need to resort to positive punishment), however that place, if it exists, is NOT a class situation where the use may affect other dogs.

I also think it is ESSENTIAL that those who run classes have a pre course session with the trainer(s) who explain what is and is not permitted at class and why.

Of course what people choose to do away from class is entirely their own affair; I always try to explain the pros and cons.

The same is true for shouting, I once witnessed a class entirely communicated a la Sergeant Major and yet another where a dog was lifted off the floor by its scruff; entirely unacceptable.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Over here we only have one CGC test.

http://www.akc.org/events/cgc/training_testing.cfm

Dahlia passed it a couple years ago. I wish we had the different levels of it! And I wish it MEANT something, like those dogs who passed X can then go to Y places where other dogs cannot go, etc.

I mostly did it just so I had the certificate in case we ever have to move to someplace that wants proof that our dog is well-behaved.
lisa01uk87
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 11:47 AM
ty got a not ready last year when doing bronze at a companion dog show because of his stay, he had been lying down for around 5-10 mins while the judge was dealing with other people in the class, then said to everyone, to do the stay, looked straight at me and ty and said, he'll sail through this so i told him to stay moved away from him, we were at 45 seconds and it started to rain, he sat up which was rubbish, but we will give it a go again this year and just keep my fingers crossed that the weather stays dry
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 11:50 AM
I mostly did it just so I had the certificate in case we ever have to move to someplace that wants proof that our dog is well-behaved

I think that is a good reason, I have done these and the Temperament Tests and the BH for this and other reasons.

It demonstrates, should the need arise, that you have taken the trouble to ensure your dog is a model citizen!
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 11:52 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I mostly did it just so I had the certificate in case we ever have to move to someplace that wants proof that our dog is well-behaved

I think that is a good reason, I have done these and the Temperament Tests and the BH for this and other reasons.

It demonstrates, should the need arise, that you have taken the trouble to ensure your dog is a model citizen!
Yep that's the goal. I have a whole "pet resume" thing going with letters of reference from current landlord, vet, trainer, and groomer, plus the CGC and other certificates of classes passed. I'm not leaving ANYTHING out. I know we'll have to move in the next couple years probably and I want the best possible chance to find a good place to live with our girl!
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

21-04-2011, 11:58 AM
What is the smallest dog you have seen pass these tests ???
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-04-2011, 12:04 PM
I had a pom yesterday and I have had a Chi pass under me, the youngest I have had in Bronze is 5 months.
Greenfae
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-04-2011, 12:04 PM
We had a mini-poodle in our bronze, it passed
MXG
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-04-2011, 02:30 PM
Ted passed his Gold just last week.
Although I knew he could do it all, it was a big ask for him to do it all in the same night!! He rose to the challenge and didn't falter, I am so proud of him! Now I can relax whilst the rest of the class go for their next level!!
SarahJade
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-04-2011, 04:43 PM
My lad has recently passed his bronze and silver, just having to work on the gold, don't think he will stay when I leave the room. Have problems with his SA, even when I leave the house he runs upstairs, is straight on the bed and looking out of the window.
I would shut the door but he spends most of his day asleep on my bed, and will stress if he can't get in. Just paces back and forth to my door according to my mum.
Any tips? lol
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >