Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Collie Convert
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2011, 09:44 PM
In general, i do disagree.

If a gate was left open then my collies would go for a wander definately, but they would never try to escape and if i opened the gate and they managed to run through then they wouldnt bog off (well, maybe to the nearest person for some fuss )
My gsd would not go far at all, and the basset...she would probably do one.

I guess if you have a breed that isnt bred to run and scent, and if you have had said dog from a pup, then i would be certainly asking questions as to why this dog continually wants to get away.
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2011, 09:46 PM
I disagree too! Bruce is well looked after and has plenty of walks but still given half a chance he legs it over the back wall, through neighbours garden and trots off in to the field!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2011, 09:51 PM
hmmm I dunno - maybe dogs that just wanna get out are bored?
I can open my gate & be there, put the rubbish out etc.. & Tilly won't bolt. But I wouldn't just leave the gate open.
I think yesterday when she escaped through the gap at the back that I was clearing she was just being inquisitive, thankfully she didn't get far, but she didn't exactly come when I called her as she was stood watching a man eating a sandwich on his front lawn round the corner!
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2011, 10:02 PM
I disagree too...

My terrier Tilly takes much pleasure in trying to get into the neighbours gardens (and has looked VERY pleased with herself when successful -- not that the neighbours were too happy with a little terror zooming around their garden ) and she certainly isn't bored or ignored!
Laura-Anne
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-04-2011, 10:52 PM
Agree and disagree. On one hand the dog is obviously more interested in getting out than saying where it is so believe it will receive somethings its not getting in the home. But that doesnt mean to say the dog isnt happy in the home or receiving everything it should do.

Totts has started to run away when she gets the chance. She just loves being outside and will try get out any opportunity she gets. Ive recently introduced her back to farm life (was an outside working dog on a farm before i rehomed her) and ever since she just wants to be outside. She comes back but she just wants to be out. Its dangerous because it keeps happening while im at work, my family arent vigilant enough, plus I'm always aware of my dogs whereabouts at all times. I had a phone call at work from someone who found her and phoned my mob from her id tag only two weeks ago. We have now installed a baby gate at the door to try and limit opportunity of escape but somehow she got out again while I was at work in the last few days. Worried to death every time I leave her.

TBH im feeling very bad about the whole thing at the moment. I know I have dramatically improved her life, she is no longer the nervous dog she was when she came to us, she is very well trained (if i say so myself lol) but i dont feel im for filling her every need, and dont know if she would be happier being back on another farm...one day
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-04-2011, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by Leanne_W View Post
Just read something which kind of backed up my thoughts on dogs which escape from the garden and do runners.

My thought is that if a dog digs or jumps or persistently finds a way to escape from it's home then it is unhappy in some way. I've never had dogs who have wanted to run away. I've even put my dogs in the back garden, left them unattended and then discovered one of the gates is open yet my dogs have stayed in the yard. My ex's dog on the other hand couldnt be let out unless there was somebody with her as she would persistently jump fences and clear off and I believe that was because she had a rubbish life.

I think that if a dog is well loved, treated with respect, given adequate exercise, given adequate food and generally lives a happy, fulfilled life then there is no reason why it would want to escape...?

What are peoples thoughts? Anybody ever owned a dog who escaped regularly and disagrees with the above?
....but some dogs are just plain stupid!

Pickles was a stray picked up from the streets, it was obvious when I got him he'd never had a bed to sleep on, a bowl to eat from or a ball to play with. He was very happy with me and my family, but there is no escaping his severe stupidity.

Pickles was a serious Houdini, but he escaped only when he couldn't find me, if I was in earshot/view he'd stick to me like glue. As soon as he thought I was gone he'd do his best to get out of the garden. In essence he got out to go and find me, inspite of the fact that 9 times out of 10 I was already in the house. When I went into the village to find him he'd quite happily follow me home off lead, happy that he'd accomplished his mission!

I do think that some dogs just aren't preconditioned to "home life" due to a possible bad start in life and then there are those that are just a bit quirky. Unfortunately Pickles was both.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-04-2011, 01:18 AM
I think that if a dog is well loved, treated with respect, given adequate exercise, given adequate food and generally lives a happy, fulfilled life then there is no reason why it would want to escape...?
Completely disagree, especially with the above. Just because a dog has a lovely life doesn't mean they won't see/smell/hear something that takes their fancy and be off after it.

Molly gets walked twice a day, has lots of toys which are rotated regularly, does lots of training and is with me all day everyday but I know if I left my front door open or there was a hole in my fence, she has in the past and would in the future, be off like a shot. Why? Because there are children and dogs next door who are SUPER exciting and simply must be played with

I think unless you've owned a dog that likes to escape or is prone to bolting, it's difficult to understand.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-04-2011, 07:31 AM
I think that if a dog is well loved, treated with respect, given adequate exercise, given adequate food and generally lives a happy, fulfilled life then there is no reason why it would want to escape...?What are peoples thoughts? Anybody ever owned a dog who escaped regularly and disagrees with the above?
Have to disagree, I feel that thinking is putting to much human emotion onto a dogs shoulders.

Its not about it being unhappy, its simple the fact some dogs dont do boundaries, and the urge to go smell/investigate whats outside them is stronger than some other dogs.

I dont think a dog has the ability to think "I dont like you so I will escape" given the oppertunity, otherwise all the neglected/ mistreated dogs out there would not still be devoted to their owners!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2011, 07:41 AM
I think it depends on the dog - and on what there is on offer outside. Most of mine would never attempt to leave - I could have the front door open and they would be happy to stay indoors.
But Bran and Shamus would wander off to do the bins and explore if allowed. They were both previously strays, so they know there is life beyond the garden gate.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2011, 09:56 AM
I disagree. Mine has attempted to escape several times but has never been out unsupervised and 99% of the time is on a long line so he's never succeeded.

It's not that he's unhappy and has a bad life with me, it's that there are sheep so close and he wants to chase them more than he wants anything else. Until we moved here he never tried to escape.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >