Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 12:45 PM

Wish I'd had my camera with me just now

Popped out from the office to get some lunch. As I crossed one of the side lanes, looked down checking for cars...no traffic, but a fox is just trotting casually along.

I stood still and it came right up to me...must admit, as it got to within 2 foot I started to think 'don't really want to get bitten!', but by then it would've been too late. His nose was within 6 inches of my leg before he decided to go round me and then trotted off up the road, completely unconcerned.

I know there have been some recent posts about just how bold urban foxes have become, but it was a very surreal experience!
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 12:51 PM

how strange it was that unbothered!!!!!!

id have been nervous too tbh!!!!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 01:18 PM
That's surprised me!! I don't know about urban foxes, but of course I had loads and loads up on the farm where I kept the horse over the road, and believe me, our ones are more scared of us than we are of them! I used to have a regular in the mornings who would be there with her cubs, pinching my brushes from outside my stable or even the bucket! As soon as she saw us arrive though, she'd take them off, only stopping to turn round and stare a bit at Cassie. I was always worried she might attack her, but I got to know that they were far more scared of her and she wouldn't dream of chasing them, she was so used to them up there.

Pity you didn't have that camera though Hali, and thank goodness the hunt wasn't charging through!!!!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 01:24 PM
As much as I love foxes, I really don't like hearing about how unbothered by the average human the urban fox is becoming

We have foxes up here in the hills, but you very very rarely see them - as they are well used to being persecuted, and so stay well away from people.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by suze View Post

how strange it was that unbothered!!!!!!

id have been nervous too tbh!!!!
Well, I must admit I didn't think of being frightened at first - you don't really hear of attacks on people by foxes do you. Even when he came so close, I didn't really feel threatened, just wondered briefly what germs/diseas he might be carrying if he did have a nip/bite!

Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
That's surprised me!! I
Pity you didn't have that camera though Hali, and thank goodness the hunt wasn't charging through!!!!
I had seen him (assuming it is the same fox) several times a few months ago, but he was much more timid then.

Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
As much as I love foxes, I really don't like hearing about how unbothered by the average human the urban fox is becoming

We have foxes up here in the hills, but you very very rarely see them - as they are well used to being persecuted, and so stay well away from people.
I know there are foxes round where I live, but I've only seen one once in the 7 years of living there - and that was very early in the morning and some distance off. I've actually seen more foxes in the centre of Edinburgh than at home.

But I do agree, it made me uncomfortable - you can't help wandering what the next evolutionary step will be when the get so confident. I suppose that is how domestic dogs came into our lives....but I really hope people don't try to domesticate the fox.