Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2010, 12:05 AM

Worst kind of day

Yesterday is a day I wont forget in a hurry.

Tim was due back at the vets for his second vaccs. Got up to find that Katie was much better, had been treating her quite intensively myself for her itchy skin so did not take her.

Tim yowled his indignation at being shut up in his cat box all the way to the vet. We have not got round to changing vets so still going to the one in town - hours drive away.

Vet was delighted he had gained so much weight - he was very underweight when we got him. He got his jab and off we came home again only briefly stopping at the chemist to get some Gaviscon for yours truly - Tim yowling all the way home with greater intensity.

Got into the house and lifted Tim out of his box where upon he yowled, remember it takes an hour to get to or from the vets. Tim moved forward and screamed and I mean screamed. The dogs stopped dead in their tracks, mum reached down to stroke Tim and he screamed again. We looked at each other in horror. Every step the kitten took it appeared to be in acute agony, I lifted him and I have to say I have never in my life heard an animal scream like it. I cradled him while he shook and whimpered - mum and I were distraught and the dogs were too, they were so concerned. Then he wanted down which caused more screaming as he tried to move hunching himself up and he was literally crawling and screaming.

At that point - we had been home less than an hour, I phoned the vet and was told to bring him back. In an effort to try and make him more comfortable in the box, I put my lambswool cardigan on top of his blanket and gently settled him in. Put the box in the back of the car and cushioned it with the duvet [keep in the car for the dogs to lie on]. The whole way back to the vets there was not a sound and at one stage mum said tearfully to me that she thought Tim had "gone".

We didn’t have to wait - vet came and took the box immediately, I bent to get my bag and walked after the vet, mum had come in too. They have a step down into their consulting rooms and next I knew mum was hurtling down towards me. She fell right down onto the hard tiled floor on her new knee replacement. I managed to grab her before she went down onto her face, the vet realising I had not followed her into the consulting room came back out - people appeared from nowhere. I managed to get mum up and onto a seat in the waiting area where she was shaking from head to foot. She insisted that the vet and I went to look after Tim whilst two vet nurses stayed with her.

It turned out that Tim was in acute anaphylactic shock from his vaccination, every muscle in his body had gone into spasm and his temperature was very high. Poor little thing was indeed in acute agony.. She gave him a quick acting injection to relieve the muscle pain and explained to us that the fever would make him feel achy and flu like for the next 24 hours.

Vet sat with mum for a while - she was able to stand and walk albeit painfully. Her knee is swollen and very black but thank god no damage has been done to it but it took me the rest of the evening to bring mum round out of the shock.

What a day. Tim stayed with me all night, went to sleep just under my chin - obviously needed comfort and security. Today despite the fact we had run out of bread, we stayed in and I spoilt both Tim and mum. Both are okay. Tomorrow I will go out and get a few groceries in

It does however make me wonder why, if its known that some kittens can take such severe reactions to vaccs, why don’t the manufactures do something about it. Even one kitten taking such a bad reaction to their vaccine is one kitten too many.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2010, 05:59 AM
Oh Helen, what a ghastly day. I really think an animal crying - never mind screaming - in pain is the worst sound in the world. There's nothing you can do to alleviate it except get them to an expert asap. It's a horrible situation to be in and I really feel for you. Hopefully now Tim will recover and grow into a big strong cat for you to love for many years.

Poor mum and her knee... I have knee problems, so I know how debilitating they can be. She must be in so much pain with it.

Big hugs to you all - you sound like you desperately need them...... x0x0x0x0x
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

07-08-2010, 06:24 AM
Lots of (((hugs))). I hope Tim is much better now and your mum too. Having a mum who is always falling over I feel your stress.

Don't forget too try too take some time out for yourself too. X
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2010, 06:33 AM
OMG what a nightmare day you poor thing. I hope Tim is feeling much better now, I do agree vaccines and thier use needs a good overhaul to stop things like this happenning as it can be quite common.
I hope your mum is not too sore. My mum has blackouts and falls so I know how worrying them crashing down can be.
lots of (((hugs))) to you and try and have some relax time for you today I think you need it.
Cassius
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Hi,

So sorry for the day you've had. I hope Tim feels much better very soon. Such a shame when it's an animal and they can't understand what's hapening to them.

Re your Mom lease ask her to get her knee x-rayed. She may feel just bruised and battered but there may be bone damage, ligament, muscle or tendon tears. Not to mention actually pushing the replacement parts out of completely.

I think to begin with, she shold use RICE, pain kilers, anti-inflammatories and at lweast a phone call to her OS o rhis secretary.

Laura xx
dreamaday
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-08-2010, 04:24 PM
What a nightmare!
I also have a mum who hits the deck from time to time, she has a knee and hip replacement and is terrified of damaging either. Once on the floor she cannot get up without help either.
I was also thinking your mum really should get her new joint checked out, far better to be safe than sorry, she could have damaged it more than you think.

Hope they are both feeling a bit better and you are getting over your traumatic day
xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2010, 05:43 PM
Oh what a terrible day you had So glad the vet managed to diagnose straight away what was happening with poor little Tim, but who would have thought it!!! Poor little guy, you must have been in shreds hearing him screaming like that. Your poor mum, she must have been shaken up too, I know coz whenever my old mum fell over, she ended up a nervous wreck, frightened to stand up sometimes, so good luck with her too. I hope it all settles down for you and your life returns to normality soon.xxxx