Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2005, 03:38 PM

How do I clip my dogs nails?

Can anyone help me please with clipping nails, as I have decided I want to do it myself this time after my last experience with the veterinary nurse plus two helpers and myself holding one of my dogs, whilst she howled the place down and wriggled like we were trying to chop her head off! I bought some clippers to do it myself last time, but they were cheap and horrible and I ended up with split ends, but I intend to search for some good expensive ones this time. Now, she has black nails, which isn't a good start, but do I hold the clippers underneath her foot and cut straight across, so that the finished end will be flat to the ground, or can I take hold of her foot and cut the nail with the clippers above the claw? Sorry if it sounds complicated, but because she is such a wuz at having this done I don't want to traumatise her any more than is necessary, so I need to know what I'm doing from the very onset so that I don't have to stop and think about it if you see what I mean. Lol! Poor Cassie! I am only going to do a small bit at a time to get her used to me doing it quietly and slowly with no manhandling her.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2005, 03:48 PM
We followed this guide http://www.planet-pets.com/clip_nails.htm hope it helps.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2005, 03:52 PM
Thanks Julie, I'm printing it out and will have a good old read so that I know what I'm doing - I hope!
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

03-05-2005, 04:13 PM
Just remember - too little rather than too much!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2005, 05:14 PM
yes rich, most definitely! Don't want to scare her off completely over this, but it has to be done they've got far too long!
iwlass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-05-2005, 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54
yes rich, most definitely! Don't want to scare her off completely over this, but it has to be done they've got far too long!
Definitely! I did Molo's at the weekend, and nicked the vein, poor little boy (I'm a very bad mummy ) - I'm going to clicker train him to tolerate his paws being handled before I do them again

Great link, Julie - I might even get OH to do them with such clear instructions
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2005, 06:57 PM
Funnily enough I can do anything with her paws, apart from get the clippers near them - she goes into panic mode. So my plan is to do it when she's having a nice lie down, I will give her a nice brush and tidy her paws up as they're getting quite tatty, and then I will slowly introduce the clippers ...... and I just know that all hell will break lose! Lol! Wish me luck!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-05-2005, 01:48 PM
Hi Helena we have talked about this before on DW If you have a dog with black nails you are in a difficult position because you are unable to see the quick. Apparently if you cut the quick it really hurts The safest option is to cut just the tinyest bit off the nails at a time ...and buy a metal nail file and some emery boards (human) and file the nails down..it is a much safer option and you can put a towel on your knee and do it while watching TV and Cassie may not even notice you are doing it
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2005, 02:26 PM
Hi Helena,

I'd panic as well if I saw you approaching with the clippers

Fortunately our dog gets his done when he is groomed and the hairs pulled out of his ears too I did cut the guinea pigs nails a couple of months ago and one of them bled like mad (and they were white too, so I don't know how on earth I managed to do it!)
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2005, 02:43 PM
I cut Kingsley and Teagans nails.
Kingsley is scared, but lets me do them, but not all at once.

Teagan is very good, and just lays down whilst I clip them!

Both dogs have black nails, so I take a tiny bit off at a time
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >