Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 10:59 AM

Nudging

Polo has a habit of nudging things. Anything that he can physically move with his nose he nudges. eg The moving foot rest on a stool, the lid of the kitchen bin, the lid of window seats or anything that is propped up against a wall!

It doesn't bother me, although occasionally it is aggravating, like when he nudged the ironing board and it came crashing to the floor! It can be useful sometimes when clicker training to create new behaviours.

Is it a collie thing?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 11:05 AM
Our Boxers nudge us gently - merest touch if they want something.
Fivedogpam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 03:06 PM
I call my Guy a 'nosey nudger' because he is always pushing things with his nose. Sometimes I think it's to attract my attention eg nudging the remote onto the floor when I'm watching the TV, but he also does it when he doesn't know I'm watching him so I'm not sure. He often nudges his water bowl in his crate in the van when we arrive somewhere for a walk so I guess that's impatience. I find it quite endearing until I have to pick things up!
tiggers mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-03-2011, 03:09 PM
My collie nudges balls under the settee when she wants attention and my V has just nudged me and spilt my cuppa everywhere, bless !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Flynn has a habit of nudging food. If i've got a packet of treats that i'm opening to give the dogs, or the bowl containing their raw food is on the counter, he'll just keep nudging the packet or bowl as if prompting me to go a bit quicker and give him some nosh!

But my collies dont nudge generally (although touching stuff with his nose is Jed's "go to" behaviour. He learnt the touch command in agility years ago and now if he's in doubt about what i'm teaching him, he'll just touch something!)
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Originally Posted by Fivedogpam View Post
I call my Guy a 'nosey nudger' because he is always pushing things with his nose. Sometimes I think it's to attract my attention eg nudging the remote onto the floor when I'm watching the TV, but he also does it when he doesn't know I'm watching him so I'm not sure. He often nudges his water bowl in his crate in the van when we arrive somewhere for a walk so I guess that's impatience. I find it quite endearing until I have to pick things up!
Ahh you have a nudger. I agree it can be attention-seeking sometimes but Polo does it in a different room sometimes so probably just enjoys it.

I do encourage it aswell if Polo is trying to earn a click and treat he will look for things to nudge - it is very cute!
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 09:09 PM
One of my Staffords is a nudger. He can nudge off the lid from the food bin, open the patio doors unless the latch is down, open the dish washer to clean the plates and open the washing machine and empty it. Oh and he nudges for attention
Maisiesmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 09:46 PM
Clever dog!
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2011, 11:58 PM
Dougal has a habit of nudging for attention as I am drinking coffee...shoves his nose under my arm or hand...really disconcerting
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-03-2011, 02:14 PM
Ailsa has always been a very big nudger and now Jake has decided to start doing it too. It's okay until you have a hot cuppa in your hands...........apart from the tea thing I love it. When I stop fussing them they do it more as if saying 'don't stop then.'