Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by Azz
I hate electric shock collars as much as the next person - but don't think censorship is the answer, what happened to good ol fashioned ignoring something you don't like? And the way blogs work - newer blogs push down older ones... so it doesn't take long for them to vanish of the front page.
I think the problem comes when someone starts a thread and declines to answer awkward questions , the thread is subsequently locked so the person moves on to another thread where more awkward questions are asked and go unanswered. The person then leaves that thread and starts a Blog which is merely an extension of the locked thread.

I would guess the members who asked questions in the original thread feel they didn't receive an adequate response and are not prepared to let the matter rest just because the Original Thread Starter having avoided them moves on and also appears to be stating something which they feel can adversely affect other dogs/ owners.

I don't think Blogs were intended to be used this way, I see them as on going diaries not a place to retreat to in order to carry on a discussion which has already stirred up ill feeling on the main site.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 06:52 PM
But it's a false premise that blogs here can operate like 'normal' blogs. They cannot - purely because they are affiliated to this website. Thus the blogs here become subject to the policies and attitudes of the site organisers and members.

Since it seems to be the e-collars that are the real cause of problems, why not just ban any more posts or blogs on e-collars?

And no that does not mean that you are damaging free speech. All online communities and sites tend to have policies.
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 06:55 PM
I didn't even know we had blogs on dogsey Plus I am still unsure exactly what a blog is

So don't know what on earth has been going on, but having seen an apologetic post in general chat, I can guess what has gone on.

Personally I think an outright ban on mentioning e-collars in any shape or form should exist.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 07:00 PM
Blogs should stay but there should be rules about the content in them, i.e. if the topic has previously been banned it cannot then become a blog etc.

I personally cannot think of a better way to stop this specific topic than to just not reply, totally and utterly ignore from now on. Job done.

Having said that I don't know why I'm replying, this and all the other stuff in the past, now has me seriously considering remaining a Dogsey member, which is a real shame.
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 07:05 PM
I think blogs are good and I don't see why the majority who use them well should lose them.
I do think blogging about how to use items of torture on a dog or any animal should be banned.
I don't think the majority of us support animal torture.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 07:18 PM
I think the blogs should stay I personally have seen nothing untoward in the ones I have read except the last one. I think the subject of abusing a dog to get control is disgusting. Azz, Let's for a moment substitute e-collar for a kick. Would you have allowed a blog about a person saying they can train their dog by just kicking it, and sugar coating it all as if it is the best thing since sliced bread. Because that is exactly what was happening in that blog. Most on here are passionate about their dogs and will not just sit by and not say anything, if they think an animal is being abused. As you know in our neck of the woods Azz e-collars have already been banned and that says it all for me.
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 07:32 PM
I think you ought to keep the blogs and ban e collar mentions.

rune
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 07:34 PM
Blogs are useful to share progress, litters ect..ect.. They are a big part of the forum for some people. What I think is wrong is that someone is allowed to 'promote' the use of such a dusgusting piece of equipment..Someone that is abusing her dog...For me it would be different if the member was asking for opinions, taking the advice, doing research ect..But thats not happening, the member feels they are right, are taking no advice from experienced dog trainers and is singing a high amount of praises to the collars. Thats not only sad to read on a 'dog loving' forum.. It angers me, its one thing using the collar your self, but to 'put it' out there are some wonderful dog training piece of equipment is a step to far.
Of course this is your forum Azz, and you have the final say. You said the blog could be created, and thats fine..But looking at the bigger picture do you want your forum tarred with such things? Even have a guest, or new in experienced dog owner read the blog and give it ago, causing harm to a dog..Which could result in the dog having more 'issues'.

Using an e-collar is bad enough, but using one without any knowledge is even worse..If it can get any worse..

I feel sick reading the blog, you may say members have a choice to not read it, but it doesnt work like that when animals are involved - members cant help but read.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 07:37 PM
I'm going to be the odd one out here I think because I personally would scrap them.
They are not much more than an extension of the forum and as is being shown at the moment open to abuse.
I have just had a quick flip through and many of them haven't been up dated or replied to for sometime.
Far more information is given and received on the forum than amongst the blogs

If they are kept then I suggest they are governed by the same rules as the forum. As TabithaJ has pointed out as they are part of Dogsey then they should be subject to the same rules. Otherwise people are going to use them to abuse the whole system.
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 07:39 PM
Blogs should stay they make a really good read and are perfect for sharing stories , the blog in question is not a blog it is a continuation of the thread and has only moved to a different place.
Page 2 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 12 > Last »