Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Beanie's Dad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-05-2008, 03:35 PM

Dog Rocks, Green-UM, Lawn Rescue etc

Anybody tried these products? Do any of them work?

Our new lawn is acquiring dead, brown patches where Beanie pees. We'd like to save it as it was only returfed a couple of months or so ago. On the other hand I'd rather have a dead lawn than give Beanie anything that could interfere with her health...
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2008, 03:59 PM
sorry, not used any of them. I would have thought if they claim to be safe for use with pets, they would be.

Our girls' pee seems to have the opposite effect - the grass grows thicker and longer where they pee (though much of our lawn is weed)

I wonder if its something to do with what the dogs are fed on?

The only other thing is to try to encourage her to go in just one corner of your lawn - then at least the whole of it isn't ruined.
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2008, 05:15 PM
I have used the dog rocks and I'm not convinced.

1. They have to drink ONLY the dog rock water, and to be honest I ca't imagine as soon as the water touches the dog rocks it is safe so I'm assuming that part of the reason they didn't work is that I'm always filling the water bowl as....

2. You can't use them in a huge bowl and are limited as to how much water is on them.

My OH is always trying to save our lawn and it's not looking too bad after the winter. He is always seeding dead patches and waters anywhere the dogs pee. He also gives it a go with the spinkler last thing at night.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Fudge wees on the lawn and yes we do get the occasional burnt patch but the tussocks of lush green grass are where she normally pees. Just need to get her to do it sprinkler style. We would have a lawn to be proud of.

I will await the other answers eagerly as I had considered buying something too.
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2008, 06:33 PM
Is it just bitches that turn the lawn brown or can a dog do it as well? Just wondered because sometimes Dingo is lazy and will just stand a pee instead.

Heidi
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-05-2008, 08:15 PM
Oh the dogs definitely kill off the lawn (or any poo unsuspecting plants!) so its not just the bitches. Our Murf has killed loads of plants and lawn with his 'toxic pee' lol. We just wash it down with water as much as possible
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2008, 07:50 AM
I wouldnt like to add anything to their insides just in case
I guess the lawn is being killed because of the pH of the pee and so the stuff will change the pH of the dogs insides
To me that sounds like it could cause problems

Although when I was a kid I rem people said it was bitches pee that killed the lawn and dog pee didnt
wondered if what we are now feeding the dogs has already changed the pH?? kibble having more carbs are supposed to need a more alkaline insides to digest and protine needs more acid??
I dunno yet cos Bens kibble pee was burning the grass - but I havent noticed if there are more or less patches now

I would say if you wanna keep the lawn there is products you can get to spray ontop of the pee that does the same job as the dog rocks without playing around with the dogs insides

But yup my peed on lawn does grow much faster and lusher than next doors
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-05-2008, 08:17 PM
I've tried Dog Rocks in Barney's water and I'm afraid they don't work. He doesn't pee directly onto the lawn but against bushes which then drip onto the lawn. The bushes are brown where the pee gets the leaves and the grass under is also brown.

The active herbicide in dog pee is concentrated urea solution, which if well watered down is a good nitrogenous fertiliser. The only real solution is to watch them pee and water it well straight away.

Bitches tend to dump a whole consignment of urine in one go and if they use the same part of the lawn I guess that it would be hard work keeping the lawn green.

I've heard that you can minimise the damage by using 10 litres of water to dilute one peeing session - easier to do this with bitches
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-05-2008, 08:38 PM
I tried Apple Cider Vinegar first as I heard that worked. It doesn't unfortunately, but when a small amount is put into Isla's water it prevents her from getting a horrible mouth fungus so we continue to give that.

I've been giving Isla Green-Ums for what must be over a year now and while they appeared to work over the winter, in actual fact the grass just wasn't growing so wasn't being killed so to speak. Now that Spring has begun the lawn is covered in dead brown patches.

I was considering Dog Rocks, but after reading this won't bother.

I now feel I have two options open to me:

1. Try using a Pee Post and get the dog to pee in one place saving the rest of the lawn.

2. Going out with the dog and washing down the area where she pees.

TBH I think the second option would probably be the only way to prevent the dog from burning the lawn as the Pee Post doesn't get rave reviews!

I find it very strange cos my friend has a Golden Retriever bitch who peed on the lawn and never burnt it. What makes it worse is the dog is fed on Pedigree complete!
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-05-2008, 10:21 AM
apparently a dollop of tomato ketchup/juice added to their food is the way to prevent this as the tomato neutralises their pee - am gonna give it a go, Murphy likes tomato's.