View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
FluffHippo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-08-2013, 10:49 AM
My dogs are allowed everywhere apart from bedrooms which means no sleeping with us. It's been the same since I was little. Malamutes are known for separation anxiety so if I had them in the bedrooms with us they would be even worse when I went out.

Pinch, punch first day of the month.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
not sure that was called for, it kind of suggest to those who don`t allow their dog to sleep with them are lesser than those who do.

Puppies sleep in a crate in the laundry and when we go out until they are old enough to be trusted.

Adult dog have free run of the down stairs while we are in, when I am out they are confined to the laundry /kitchen, usually on the sofa, in the evenings they they have a choice of sofa in kitchen or bed in living room.

My dogs will always be family members first and foremost, but that does not mean restricting them to parts of the house makes them less of a loved pet.
Agree with all of that. I've owned dogs that were not allowed on beds or furniture (not even allowed to go upstairs) and dogs that were allowed. I loved them all the same - just breed/size/moulting habits/who else formed part of the family - ages etc, came into the decisions.

I did think my Cavvy (who'd never slept anywhere other than on my bed since she was housetrained) would die of sadness if disallowed from sleeping on the bed or couches. However, once I moved to a hot country, she didn't want to - had the sense to lie on the cool tiles instead.

Where your dog sleeps in your dwelling does not define you as a good or bad or caring or non caring dog owner.

My current mini menace can sleep wherever she wants to - I think her thermostat is wired wrong - she will often sunbathe in temps around 40deg. or hide under a cushion for warmth when the aircon kicks in. And, though she likes to get on the bed at some stage - before or after I retire - she does NOT like any part of you touching her - not even through bedclothes. I've got visitors at the mo so she is sharing her night out between 3 rooms - trying to make sure she is welcome in all of them! Fortunately, being v. short haired and smaller than a cat and no trouble at all - she gets away with murder really!

I don't think she'd be too perturbed if not allowed in the bedrooms. She will put herself to bed well before I go or remain in the living room well after I've gone to bed.
Maiseymoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-08-2013, 01:22 PM
My two are allowed upstairs in the bedrooms during the day but not at night when I'm sleeping. Alfie snores like a little pig and I'm such a light sleeper I'd be forever getting woken up. Tia has her moments too but whistles out her nose rather than snoring.
They are shut in the lounge/dining room at night but have plenty of places to sleep, a lovely warm, wooden, faux fur lined bed if they get cold, a cool, smooth bed if they are warm, one of those settee thingies with the padding round the edge which is big enough to really sprawl out on if they are too warm and a dog blanket on the armchair.

One thing I can guarantee though, they are never in the same bed in the morning as they went to sleep in the night before. I think they play musical beds once I've gone upstairs. I always wonder what all the thudding is. At bedtime I just say to them "Bedtime" and they choose which bed they want to sleep in.

They never share a bed either, except during the day when I put one of their beds on the windowsill so they can watch the world go by when I'm at work.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Maiseymoo - my old Cavvy snoring like a train all night was one of the things I missed the most when she went. And one of the things it took me the longest to get used to - silence in the bedroom.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2013, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
not sure that was called for, it kind of suggest to those who don`t allow their dog to sleep with them are lesser than those who do.

Puppies sleep in a crate in the laundry and when we go out until they are old enough to be trusted.

Adult dog have free run of the down stairs while we are in, when I am out they are confined to the laundry /kitchen, usually on the sofa, in the evenings they they have a choice of sofa in kitchen or bed in living room.

My dogs will always be family members first and foremost, but that does not mean restricting them to parts of the house makes them less of a loved pet.
I really am going to stop joking or trying to on this forum, the smiley indicated it was a joke and not a serious comment.
Maiseymoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-08-2013, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
Maiseymoo - my old Cavvy snoring like a train all night was one of the things I missed the most when she went. And one of the things it took me the longest to get used to - silence in the bedroom.
The thing is it takes me ages to get to sleep as it is, sometimes hours and even then I wake 2 or 3 times during the night and then usually half an hour before my alarm goes off at 5.30. I can't remember when I last had more than 3 hours of sleep in a row, at least 6 years I would guess, so Alfie and Tia, as much as I love them, need to sleep somewhere else

It's bad enough when I can hear them playing downstairs for a while once I've gone to bed, like naughty children they get up and get their toys out of their toy box but forget to put them away again so the evidence is always there in the morning

Also the amount of hair that they shed is ridiculous and I'd be itching all night.

I'm sorry about your old cavvy though. I still miss mine and he was pts in October 2002. He didn't snore though, bless him
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Originally Posted by Maiseymoo View Post
The thing is it takes me ages to get to sleep as it is, sometimes hours and even then I wake 2 or 3 times during the night and then usually half an hour before my alarm goes off at 5.30. I can't remember when I last had more than 3 hours of sleep in a row, at least 6 years I would guess, so Alfie and Tia, as much as I love them, need to sleep somewhere else

It's bad enough when I can hear them playing downstairs for a while once I've gone to bed, like naughty children they get up and get their toys out of their toy box but forget to put them away again so the evidence is always there in the morning

Also the amount of hair that they shed is ridiculous and I'd be itching all night.

I'm sorry about your old cavvy though. I still miss mine and he was pts in October 2002. He didn't snore though, bless him
A non snoring Cavvy! What a rarity you had there! Vet told me it's because they have such long soft palettes. I'd chuck a soft toy at her or nudge her if she was close enough, when it reached a crescendo and she'd stop and start quietly again, gradually building up.

I lost Charlie Girl in 2008 won't ever get over her being gone. My pal and constant companion (velcro dog) for ten years - she'd only been away from me twice in all that time. Mind you I still tear up thinking of my beautiful GSD Sally and she died more than 20 yrs ago

And now I've got the little Ayatollah Minpin - just like my kids they are all SO different from one another but I love them all just as much.

I sympathise with your sleep problem. I don't need more than 6hrs and never have since my early teens and can survive on 4 or 5. However, if I don't even get that much or I keep waking (like I didn't get much sleep on Monday or Tuesday) I do not feel good at all. I slept OK last night and Bella must have known I really needed it because she didn't even ask to go out today until about 9.30am - she came to bed with me for a lie-in!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2013, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
If its snoring you miss,more than welcome to take my OH
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-08-2013, 03:24 PM
I wish my parents had crate trained Millie but they gave up and let her sleep in their bed (i was 10 when we got her), now every night i have to put up with her big ginger bum in my bed -_- (she's great in winter!)

It is preference though - my idea would be to have her sleep in her own bed in my bedroom especially for the security side of things (i'm a wimp)
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by HollyG1 View Post
I wish my parents had crate trained Millie but they gave up and let her sleep in their bed (i was 10 when we got her), now every night i have to put up with her big ginger bum in my bed -_- (she's great in winter!)

It is preference though - my idea would be to have her sleep in her own bed in my bedroom especially for the security side of things (i'm a wimp)
Hold on tight to that " big ginger bum", someday it may be number 1 on the list of things you miss Understand what you mean though,hard to break the sleeping in the bed habit
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >