View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 04:41 PM
Of course Gill, i see your point but for eg not all white boxers are deaf, so why are they so much descrimintad against in the show world, providing they are healthy, and the only thing which makes them different is their colour why arent they allowed, same with white GSD, i find it very sad
willowish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 04:45 PM
If dogs weren't bred to some sort of blueprint they wouldn't work either The standards don't just cover size or physical apperance. Also to colour some colours will also carry the chance of associated health problems e.g. deafness is more common in white animals, dilute colours can also carry associated skin and coat problems. As someone has said there is already enough room in all the standards for peoples interpretations to be vastly different, relaxing them will achieve ??
Just my tuppence worth

Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by willowish
relaxing them will achieve ??
....Dogs being bred not so much for how they look, but their minds/temp and health, instead of those just listed so many times taking a back seat to dogs looking the show part , again JMHO
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 04:49 PM
A 'good' example of a 'breed standard' I think, is the Yorkshire Terrier.
You see adverts for 'Toy' Yorkshire Terrier dogs. Whilst the Yorkie is a toy breed, it is not ment to fit inside a tea cup!

Height
Dog & Bitch
Minimum 7"
Maximum 8"

Weight
Dog & Bitch
Minimum 4lbs
Maximum 7lbs

Kingsley stands at 9" tall, and is way over 7lbs in weight! But i've seen some other pure-bred Yorkies who are even bigger than Kingsley!
willowish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 04:53 PM
Dogs should be bred for all those things within the breed standards.

Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 05:06 PM
Should be yes, but unfortunatly many arent
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 05:18 PM
And I would like to see dogs in show and who are winning/rewarded actually able to work what they were bred for.And before i get slaughtered here, I have only my own breed in mind with that comment

A dog should imo be about more than looks and the tendense seen here is "the bigger the better". Not suitable when working and not healthy for the dog (or so I think).

I do belive in standards for the reasons allready mentioned here, so maybe its better (or atleast diff) judges I´m asking for? :smt102
willowish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 05:55 PM
Yep but relaxing the standard wouldn't solve that problem though either Gems it would just give the less scrupulus more leeway

mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 06:24 PM
IMO many breed standards are in fact too loose not to strict, if the breed standards say a dog must be such a such a height in stead of preferred height then there is no argument. the breed standard is a blueprint to a breed, same as a builder would use a building plan to build a building, if he does not stick to the correct measurments, then he ends up with a badly built building. same thing applies to breeds, the standard is there to ensure breeders try to breed the best, not only for looks, but temperment, ability to complete the task it was originally bred for, and for health reasons. too many standards are so laxed that eventually some breeds will no longer look correct,behave the way they should,or be capable of their jobs, its happened before and it will continue happening til the standards are actually tightend up.

Mo
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

12-08-2005, 06:33 PM
[QUOTE=Gems]I brought a Border Collie because i wanted to compeate professionally in agility,

And as already someone pointed out, if he grows too high he`ll not be able to compete, where does the line get drawn.....There has to be a standard
Page 4 of 24 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »