Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Originally Posted by sasha26 View Post
thanks everyone (btw i was sasha my dog) sasha now sleeps all night in her cage without whining or barking and even goes in it when we are in with out been asked to go in
Fantastic news.

Which method did you go with in the end?
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-01-2010, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by jesterjenn View Post
I would ignore her... She will only last a certain amount of time and you will find it hard, but you can outlast her.

We are going through it with our pup at the mo. If he doesn't want to be in it, he will squeel like someone is throttling him, but he settles in a couple of minutes, once he realises he isn't going to win.

The more you give in (it come down and let her out), then the more she will manipulate you to do it.
daphni was like this when we first trained her to sleep in her cage. she made a noise that sounded like a squealing pig
rob6852
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-01-2010, 04:39 PM
We had the same problem, our westie is 5 months old, very very good except the crate, we got some advice from som nice westie folk on here and hey it alls works.

2nd night was fine, my partner stayed down for 20 mins and as soon as she fell alseep all was well till 5.30. and she had a good walk.

Now we have to work on peeing lol
sasha26
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-01-2010, 06:16 PM
we just ignored her to our best abilities lol we put her in her cage abt an hour b4 we go to bed after she has been in the garden to do her business now shes a dream and our alarm clock lol 7 am every morn shes barking to be let out (btw i was my dog sasha now sasha26 )
rob6852
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-01-2010, 07:13 PM
Hi.

Well she is getting much better, also today we had to go out and left her in the cage, we let her in the garden on our return and she went in the garden no problem, .

Now the barking, it can be constant sometimes, so how do we train her not to bark so much.

I have to say this is her first 5 days with us, she is so loving and settled in so well.

she loves her yoys and is a keen footballer
sasha26
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-01-2010, 08:32 PM
all i can say to you it will lessen in time as long as you ignore her barking another tip is to put some treats in her cage as a distraction we do tht with sasha and we also put her in her cage an hour b4 we go to bed and tht seems to have helped also...
do u feed her in her cage we do and now she sees tht it is where she can go for peace aswell
also leave the door open so she can go in and out as she pleases so she sees it as her special place
most of all perserve it does get better i didnt believe tht wed get her to stay there quietly but she does
rob6852
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Yes I think already it has lessened a bit, it is worse at night when in her crate and we lock it, but now it is only for a few mins at most and she sleeps.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2010, 09:09 PM
It's really hard getting them used to a cage isn't it? We got a cage for our 2 lurchers who are thieves!! Jenny fretted terribly but the way we got around it was to put her in there during the day when we were in for 5-10 min periods. she was able to see us at all time and I gave her a treat every time she went in there. Then we would put her in for up to an hour and go to a different room always giving her a treat. She became relaxed in there very quickly. The most important thing is not to give in to her whining/barking. If you do she will associate barking with attention.
Jenny now goes into her crate out of choice to sleep. happy days!!
Good luck xx
rob6852
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-01-2010, 11:15 PM
well tilly is happy to go in the cage and when we are there we dont lock it, we only lock it at night at bed time and when we go out and cant take her with us.

are we doing the right thing.

we are learning so much from all of you
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-01-2010, 08:44 PM
You need to lock it when you are there too. She will associate locking the cage with being left and will be anxious before you've left her. Carry on putting her in there for short periods in the day giving her a treat each time but lock the door too. Try not to make a fuss of her when you let her out. Ignore her too when you come down in the morning and when you come in from being out. Make a cuppa first and then let her out without a fuss. Very often they think they own you and fret because they don't know where you are. Make it clear you are the boss. Firm but gentle. It'll soon sink in and she will be a lot happier for it!
Please let us know how she gets on.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2