Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
StoxmeadGSD
New Member!
Male 

22-12-2008, 02:14 PM

Ear Problems with my GSD who's taking Rilexine and now appears to be lethargic

My 3 and half year old GSD has been suffering from ear Problems for awhile and has been to the vets to have them cleaned. He had to be sedated in order to do this (and a little gas to keep him still) and has been on an antibiotic called Rilexine at a dose of 600mg once a day.

Prior to going to the vets (3 weeks ago) he was a lively and energetic dog always asking to play and barking at the slightest noise outside the house! Now he now appears to be lethargic and not interested in eating his own type of food but will sometimes "greed" for ours!

He sometimes asks to play but generally just wants to lie down and sleep but also now has trouble standing up after he has been lying down for a time could this be a temporary side effect?

Has anyone had a similar experience with this drug?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Yes, I had a terrible ear infection a few months back with my white gsd, but he also suffered pyoderma, and the two go together apparently. He had to go through the very same thing, and be knocked out to have them completely flushed out, and my vet told me that there COULD be the possibility that he would have to have the bones "scraped" inside his ears because the infection might have gone that deep! Luckily though, the flushing was adequate. He did have to stay on those ab's that you mention for 3 months in total to completely get rid of the infection, so don't be surprised if your vet wants to continue again with them when you're nearing the end of your current batch. If there is even the smallest amount of infection still present, then of course, it can spread rife yet again and cause problems. The balance would be affected to, with a deep ear infection, just like it would in us humans when we have an inner ear infection. No matter what your vet wants to do, i.e. continuing for even 3 months with those ab's, then you must stick rigidly to the prescribed dose, otherwise, as I said earlier, it will just spread yet again and your poor dog will forever be in pain. Haven't they prescribed you some Rimadyl (painkillers) or suchlike because these can be very, very painful for the dog, same as us humans, and I would imagine that is why your poor dog is lethargic etc. because it's in pain. Can't you ask for some painkillers for him? Even if you ring them up, when they see on his records that he has a deep ear infection, then of course they would prescribe some and you could just go and pick them up without having to take your dog again? Good luck, I hope some of this helps.
StoxmeadGSD
New Member!
Male 

22-12-2008, 08:22 PM
Thank You Helena54 for your rapid reply.

I will ask my vet about the painkillers tomorrow.

You have'nt said whether your dog is O.K. now......but I'd like think that he is.

Watch this space future up dates.

And have a Merry Christmas all the best for 2009.

StoxmeadGSD.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-12-2008, 08:51 PM
You're very welcome, and the same to you I do hope the ab's will do their job. I am always prescribed Rilexine for my dog's skin problems, and I feel sure they will clear up your dog's problems. If you're not happy when you nearing the end of the course, then please, phone your vet and tell him/her and I would have thought they will prescribe some more for you, just to make sure they get everything cleared.

I am sure you will have your bouncing, happy chappy back soon enough! All the best
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-12-2008, 10:26 PM
I will not let any of my GSDs have Rilexine, this causes ulceration of the stomache in the majority of GSDs, even other brands containing Cephalexin, other side effects are nausea, weakness and excessive salvation.
I pay more and purchase Antirobe.
Pam
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-12-2008, 11:22 AM
Blimey, that's very interesting Wildmoor!!! Georgie used to have Cephelexine because as you know it's specifically for skin problems and ear infections. When they changed mine over to Rilexine, I did question it, and my vet assured me that they were a much safer option and that's why they stopped issuing Cephelexine, so are you sure you've got that right???
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-12-2008, 06:24 PM
I am positive Helena
go to the Virbac website and look up the ingredients Rilexine is just the brand name for a palatable tablet form of Cephalexin.
My dogs have a Warning Indicator at the vets not to give, the last time one of mine had this he defeacated fresh blood and had to be put on Cimetidine for the stomache ulceration. Antirobe is extremely effective for skin complaints.