Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Oh dear, whats so strange about the vet telling me to feed him small amounts of food , "when he is ready to eat"! cant see anything odd about that.

I was the one who said, Shall I fast for 24 hrs!

He was the one who said, no dont purposely "fast " your dog, feed them small amounts of bland food......when they are ready to eat, thought that bit might have been obvious.

Obviously you cant "starve " a dog when he is refusing to eat

As Bandit was wanting to eat at the time, while having diarrhea, I cant see anything odd in my vets advice, he made a point that you should NOT purposely starve a dog , but feed small amounts, if you find his advice strange, so be it, but I have 100% complete trust in his experience, and advice , he has served me well for many years
oh dear,why so 'uppity' jb

lots of dogs still want to eat when they have the squits..it comes in waves..thats why you have to be the one that fasts them.
as far as im aware the only pets u shouldnt fast in this situation is rabbits

i wasnt slating your vet or you!
is still strange advise imo
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
oh dear,why so 'uppity' jb

lots of dogs still want to eat when they have the squits..it comes in waves..thats why you have to be the one that fasts them.
as far as im aware the only pets u shouldnt fast in this situation is rabbits

i wasnt slating your vet or you!
is still strange advise imo
Maybe because I am a bit raw at the moment.

As for you thinking my vet gives strange advice or its odd(sounds like a slating to me) that up to you, but I will contue to take his advice in the years to come over other "opinions"
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2011, 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Maybe because I am a bit raw at the moment.

As for you thinking my vet gives strange advice or its odd(sounds like a slating to me) that up to you, but I will contue to take his advice in the years to come over other "opinions"
now that i do understand... and i feel for u xx

as far as your vet goes...i never said to not take his advise...just that i wouldnt if a vet said that to me..and in 19years in the vet industry and a fair few different vets..they wouldnt/havnt of said that thats all.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
now that i do understand... and i feel for u xx

as far as your vet goes...i never said to not take his advise...just that i wouldnt if a vet said that to me..and in 19years in the vet industry and a fair few different vets..they wouldnt/havnt of said that thats all.
Said what to you ?, to feed them small amounts of bland food , when they are ready to eat, becuase thats what he said, he said DONT starve him, he explinaed his reasons, and I have no reason to disagree with them.
Nuttywithit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-03-2011, 12:21 PM
I'm pretty sure that it doesn't matter WHAT a vet says about feeding a dog with an upset stomach, because Mother Nature is pretty good at sorting the problem out for herself. the dog will either eat the food, or it wont!
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by Nuttywithit View Post
I'm pretty sure that it doesn't matter WHAT a vet says about feeding a dog with an upset stomach, because Mother Nature is pretty good at sorting the problem out for herself. the dog will either eat the food, or it wont!
lol.... is it? no need for vets then!

some dogs will still eat! my Tupac being one of them.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2011, 12:25 PM
Not necessarily, my GSD had a bit of a tummy bug over Christmas but still had his appetite - I didn't starve him but he only got very small meals (he's raw fed so he just got a couple of chicken necks, was hoping the bone would firm him up, and some chicken mince), I'm sure he would've eaten more but I wanted his tum to have a rest and the vet agreed. If I'd let him eat as much as he wanted then he probably would've given himself a worse tummyache than he had!
3dognight
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-03-2011, 03:20 PM
Starve?Thats a pretty stong word ,when a dog does not eat for 24 hours!!I starve mine, as i see the need. It cleans them out,and im my opinion,takes alittle of the.FUSSY out of them.Mine will fast on there own sometimes ,there not up for it,usually because of me.I may not have had them out and no exersise that day,bad weather?They dont need to eat because they dont need energy.It happenc naturally in k9, not so bad.IMO
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-03-2011, 07:26 PM
I'm assuming your Grandparents dogs were working dogs too? It does seem the older generations were all for weekly fasting and I would think they would need their dogs to be in good health if they relied on them for working. Maybe we are more soft in this day and age, but our family dogs have also lived to very good ages so perhaps the weekly fast IS a good thing.
Yes my grandparents kept cattle and the dogs were working dogs, of sorts. Not the same as our working sheepdogs, but still required to earn their keep. However, from vague recollection, my grandparents also never used collars/leads on their dogs, never wormed/de-flead them etc (as far as I know, although I was only young) and never took them to the vet. Oh and I am sure they were fed food scraps from the table. So, perhaps the fasting did work for them and perhaps they kept just really, really healthy fit dogs, or perhaps more sadly, they just didn't get the high level of care that our working dogs get
Nuttywithit
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
. Oh and I am sure they were fed food scraps from the table.
My Grandparents always gave the dogs a bit of their fried breakfast and after dinner scraps too! Maybe that IS why they fasted them, between gravy and butter fry-ups they dogs probably needed it in those days!
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >