View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 05:51 PM

Rewarding an already trained dog with treats....

As the title describes, I would like some advice on giving treats as a reward during training an already trained dog.

Obviously by now, both my dogs are trained. Sit, down, stay, stand, wait etc, the usual.

During training at and outwith training classes, I reward and praise my dogs using voice, pats and treats, but I think I 'treat' to much.

How often do you/would you treat (as in the food sense) an already trained dog during training sessions?

Thanks!
Tillymint
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 06:09 PM
I have no idea but I'm sure someone else will!! but I just go with the flow, when training something new I initally give treats, then I give them intermittently. I always give one after the first task & after the last though.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 06:15 PM
It really depends - I try and extend all the exercises we do so that gradually the dog will work for longer at the same thing - but sometimes I will still reward for simple stuff.

I try and keep them guessing
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Lots!!!! Training is on Going & You Have to keep the Rewards up, Although try to Delay the reward & Reward Dont Bribe!!! Try to switch to Play if you Can, Mid Exercises & treat at the end!

I Never give up on my Treats!
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 07:10 PM
I still use treats at training classes, just to try and keep it interesting for Tilly. Being a terrier, her attention span can wander!! i find that if she is expecting a treat, when we compete, she is more likely to do what i ask of her. Although once she realises I've tricked her in a class, her heelwork tends to wander! But without a potential treat, she'd be staring at trees or the hotdog stand much sooner!!
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 08:06 PM
Originally Posted by Tillymint View Post
I have no idea but I'm sure someone else will!! but I just go with the flow, when training something new I initally give treats, then I give them intermittently. I always give one after the first task & after the last though.
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
It really depends - I try and extend all the exercises we do so that gradually the dog will work for longer at the same thing - but sometimes I will still reward for simple stuff.

I try and keep them guessing
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Lots!!!! Training is on Going & You Have to keep the Rewards up, Although try to Delay the reward & Reward Dont Bribe!!! Try to switch to Play if you Can, Mid Exercises & treat at the end!

I Never give up on my Treats!
Originally Posted by tillytheterrier View Post
I still use treats at training classes, just to try and keep it interesting for Tilly. Being a terrier, her attention span can wander!! i find that if she is expecting a treat, when we compete, she is more likely to do what i ask of her. Although once she realises I've tricked her in a class, her heelwork tends to wander! But without a potential treat, she'd be staring at trees or the hotdog stand much sooner!!
Thanks very much, everyone. Good to hear what you all think and that I'm not doing the wrong thing afterall!

I don't tend to treat after EVERY behaviour whilst training. It depends on how they're behaving and if they do it really well, but sometimes I can go overboard as I like to keep them keen but also focus on me at the same time. I quite often make sure they're looking at me first before treating as well.

It's not so much overfeeding them, as it I don't do that, they only get small pieces. I just wondered if I was treating too much on the behaviour side of things.

Like you say as well, Mish, training is ongoing and it's important to keep it fun and enjoyable! I want them to enjoy it and see it as a good thing.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 08:08 PM
I never give up the praise / treats, if its not broken dont fix it sort of thing,

if your dogs are working well, then I would just continue as you are
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 08:54 PM
I always give treats sometimes
For eg, in a training sesh I start with high rate of treats, go onto something new where they get lots of treats then string together tricks they know and randomly treat

Out and about I treat for extra good ehaviour and randomly

dont think anything is 100% trained tho
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 10:22 PM
If they are working for you then they should get paid

Nothing wrong with using treats.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
I always give treats sometimes
For eg, in a training sesh I start with high rate of treats, go onto something new where they get lots of treats then string together tricks they know and randomly treat

Out and about I treat for extra good ehaviour and randomly

dont think anything is 100% trained tho
Originally Posted by Loki's mum View Post
If they are working for you then they should get paid

Nothing wrong with using treats.
Thanks both.

No, absolutely nothing wrong with using treats for training, I agree. I was just wondering if I was over-treating as such, but if it's working for my dogs then it obviously isn't wrong, and they enjoy it, so I shall continue rewarding with the treats the way I do just now.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >