View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2010, 01:12 PM
How does a Dog that is clicked as a cue to return, ie abit like a whistle, Then expected to learn from the clicker in other aspects as to lengthening & developing a behaviour?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
How does a Dog that is clicked as a cue to return, ie abit like a whistle, Then expected to learn from the clicker in other aspects as to lengthening & developing a behaviour?
It doesn't---but then most people don't want them to.They have gone out and got a clicker as a magic cure and it has worked.

So as far as I can see it isn't a problem. They just wanted the dog to come back and it does!

rune
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
LOL---I seem to manage to reinforce some interesting behaviours using it properly ----possibilities are endless!

rune
LOL tell me about it, Mia is getting up quite an interesting behaviour chain of sitting, drum paws, sneeze, air snap, lie down, bob head. Now if I could only figure out how to zoom in on some of these

Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
We dont 1/2 make it confusing for dogs to learn

It doesn't---but then most people don't want them to.They have gone out and got a clicker as a magic cure and it has worked.

So as far as I can see it isn't a problem. They just wanted the dog to come back and it does!

rune
true - fair nuff if that all you want it for then it works pretty well
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2010, 06:20 PM
Question:

How do I get him to stop pawing at my hand as well? I only click when he touches it with his nose but sometimes he puts his paw up to.

He is also doing a whole host of random things to try and get a treat, including singing at me. Basically, anything I've previously taught him he is trying even though I haven't given a command for it.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Question:

How do I get him to stop pawing at my hand as well? I only click when he touches it with his nose but sometimes he puts his paw up to.

He is also doing a whole host of random things to try and get a treat, including singing at me. Basically, anything I've previously taught him he is trying even though I haven't given a command for it.
Welcome to the joys of Clicker training - a dog that will throw anything at you - just to get that click!

You have to decide what you are looking for in the behaviour - and only click that. If you click when he is touching your hand, but there paw is in the air as well he will think thet the aim is for the hand touch with the paw up...you have 2 options...
1)He is confused as you are making it too har for him (go back a stage or 2 and make sure he knows what he is doing and be aware that you can 'build in' extra behaviours if you do not notice what else the dog is doing at the time)
2) Wait for him to offer you the right behaviour and ignore all the wrong ones....with this you risk him getting frustrated and bored and switching off....

I would be inclined to go with option one as you have not been doing this for too long.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Welcome to the joys of Clicker training - a dog that will throw anything at you - just to get that click!

You have to decide what you are looking for in the behaviour - and only click that. If you click when he is touching your hand, but there paw is in the air as well he will think thet the aim is for the hand touch with the paw up...you have 2 options...
1)He is confused as you are making it too har for him (go back a stage or 2 and make sure he knows what he is doing and be aware that you can 'build in' extra behaviours if you do not notice what else the dog is doing at the time)
2) Wait for him to offer you the right behaviour and ignore all the wrong ones....with this you risk him getting frustrated and bored and switching off....

I would be inclined to go with option one as you have not been doing this for too long.
Did that ;o)
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2010, 07:20 PM
I spent a while today trying to get just a nose touch on an object, she has always wanted to open her mouth round things.

It takes time sometimes.

I find with her she is so quick (compared to my collie, LOL) I get ahead of myself sometimes.

rune
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2010, 07:24 PM
I spent a while today trying to get just a nose touch on an object, she has always wanted to open her mouth round things.

It takes time sometimes.

I find with her she is so quick (compared to my collie, LOL) I get ahead of myself sometimes.

rune
LOL, that sounds familiar ;o)

It's only day two so all I'm doing is the hand touch. He does it and knows what to do but when I distract him by lobbing the treat for him to find it he forgets, then he does paw (as this is his main trick) and when I don't click he sits there looking at my and singing, then he lies down, then something clicks and he remembers and does it.

I am really enjoying this, it's fascinating!!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Oh the singing-----I clicked it then put it on cue and she is still doing it, Tassle thinks I am daft to encourage it so I am on a mission to prove her wrong (G)!

She is really paw orientated as well.

rune
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-01-2010, 09:05 PM
It sounds like he is really smart and trying to figure out what gets the click
It took me ages to get Ben to offer anything - I had to click just for his ear moving or a slight head bob - now he does offer things, although his default is to sit, stair at the treats and slooooowly lift his paw
I would deff recomend looking into 101 things to do with a box, its great for smart dogs - and lazy owners (in my case) you can sit on the sofa and let the dog run about and figure what you want
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >