Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 06:40 PM

Clicker training

I can't do it! *stomps feet*

Ramble gave me some exercises to start me off and I've been trying it on and off for months now. I've also tried a few methods recommended by our Head of Behaviour but I can't do it.

I think it's because I have no co-ordination and keep clicking at the wrong time (I'm very easily confused).

I've also been trying to get him to touch the nose but everytime I put a scarf on his snout he shakes his head to get it off rather than pushes it off with his paw!

Shall I just accept that he's more of a sniffer dog than a trick dog?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 06:47 PM
NoI think you need to go back to basics with it and not try to teach a 'trick' you need to practise something fairly fool proof in oder for Woody to understand what it is all about.
You are doing too much too soon.
Try practising a sit, then a down..then a spin. With a spin it is easy to hape the behaviour and they really can't go far wrong.

Try to think of the clicker as a camera. You are taking a photo of the instant he does what you want...
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 06:55 PM
I haven't tried any tricks I've just tried clicking to get his attention but he just keeps staring at the treat!!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
I haven't tried any tricks I've just tried clicking to get his attention but he just keeps staring at the treat!!
You said you were trying to get him to knock a scarf off his nose...

Why are you clicking to get his attention and letting him stare at the treat?
Click ...reward...
Click...reward...
throw the treat down on the floor and let him eat it..he doesn't have to do anything initially.
Does he not link the sound to the reward yet?
Have you not been throwing it down for him instantly?

In order for them to understand what the clicker is about they need to relate the sound to the reward...not YOU to the reward so he shouldn't have a chance to stare at it.

When he relates the click to a treat, then you need to teach him that he has to actually DO something to get the sound (and thus the reward) to happen.

Perhaps it is a training method that doesn't suit you rather than Woody? Not all methods suit all people.
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
You said you were trying to get him to knock a scarf off his nose... I said 'also'. I'm not using the clicker for that but I think eventually it will help.

Why are you clicking to get his attention and letting him stare at the treat?
Click ...reward...
Click...reward...
throw the treat down on the floor and let him eat it..he doesn't have to do anything initially.
Does he not link the sound to the reward yet? No
Have you not been throwing it down for him instantly? erm

In order for them to understand what the clicker is about they need to relate the sound to the reward...not YOU to the reward so he shouldn't have a chance to stare at it. Oh

When he relates the click to a treat, then you need to teach him that he has to actually DO something to get the sound (and thus the reward) to happen.

Perhaps it is a training method that doesn't suit you rather than Woody? Not all methods suit all people.
Honestly, I think you're right. We've done so well on lots of things I wanted to try something different but I do believe it's not working (due to me of course).

I wonder if it's worth persevering though or admit defeat. Hard to follow advice online.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Honestly, I think you're right. We've done so well on lots of things I wanted to try something different but I do believe it's not working (due to me of course).

I wonder if it's worth persevering though or admit defeat. Hard to follow advice online.
http://www.traininglines.co.uk/click...ogs-408-0.html
Try this book...or check out youtube footage for ideas there must be heaps on there.
It is hard to follow stuff on the net, it's easier to see it and chat to someone about it as you do it.The joy of the clicker is the worst that can happen is your dog gets a treat though
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 07:11 PM
OK, will have a look at some sites and have another go on Friday and see how I get on. LOL at your last sentence.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 07:15 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAb3KJyxq0o

This looks like a good one...she does feed her from her hand when she clicks but it doesn't matter,look at the dog drool! She also uses a voice marker instead of the clicker, if that's what people want to do...although the clicker can be much more clear for the dog and doesn't sound frustrated when we are!

ETA she isn't luring her either...but perhaps she will later...
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 07:16 PM
You are not alone Pidge, I have no co-ordination either and could never get on with clickers
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2010, 07:20 PM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAb3KJyxq0o

This looks like a good one...she does feed her from her hand when she clicks but it doesn't matter,look at the dog drool! She also uses a voice marker instead of the clicker, if that's what people want to do...although the clicker can be much more clear for the dog and doesn't sound frustrated when we are!
OK, 2.29 in and that is exactly how I've been doing it. Woody was also reacting the same as her dog.

I'll report back when I've watched more.

Originally Posted by Nippy View Post
You are not alone Pidge, I have no co-ordination either and could never get on with clickers
SOOOOO good to know I'm not alone. I was wondering ;o) xx
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »