Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2007, 03:08 PM

Which Parrot would you recommend?

Calling all bird experts lol

We have owned a hand-reared cockatiel in the past and he was a super pet. We are thinking of perhaps buying a hand-reared parrot (one of the smaller types not like an African Grey or Macaw - something like a Senegal, Quaker etc)

I've heard Sennies can become particularly attached to one person is this true? I'd really want a bird that was more gregarious and go to anyone more or less. Are males more nippy than females on maturity (I know it is best to get hand-reared and ensure they are used to being handled as they mature)

I would like a bird that could speak, but want to avoid a constant Screecher if possible - any tips?

I would love some recommendations on species please and also any other useful tips would be much appreciated!:smt002

Thanks
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2007, 03:15 PM
Ian Taylor has a Maroon Bellied Conure (I think its called) he is fantastic. Such an amazing personality. Ive never been a big birdy type person but he has transformed my opinion of pet birds. Could definately recommend one of him!

Here is Fred with Tikaani:

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=63326
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2007, 03:22 PM
I can only comment on sennies as i,ve never had quakers

sennies are adorable
they are macaws in little bodies
we have 2 handreared ones and a breeding pair

the handreared ones are adorable and love everyone
they both speak but they can also scream quite loud when they want too

we have to males so couldn,t comment if females are better

some types of conures are lovely too
like the one Luz just mentioned
most types of conures are fine but the ones to avoid are the sun conures they are very beautiful to look at (bright yellow and orange) but the scream from them is ear piercing and they are very known for this

have you considered a eclectus?

the males make better pets and they are very loving and friendly if handreared
they are a tiny bit smaller than a grey but very bright in colour

all birds have the capability of speaking but you can never tell which ones will

hope this has helped and if you have any more questions please ask and i will try to answer them

there are quite a few birdie people on here to help
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2007, 10:51 AM
Oh thanks both, that Conure is gorgeous! I didn't know Ian had one!

Haven't thought of Eclectus, think they may be a bit bigger than what we were considering, they are stunning though. There is a guy in the next town advertising Hand Reared Quakers but aren't sure about the fact a lot of websites saying they can get too attached to just one person and then defend them by attacking other people!
jackiew
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2007, 12:56 PM
i dont know enough about quakers to comment sorry

and eclectus are not that big, bit smaller than a african grey :smt002

and yes Ians conure is a sweetheart
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-07-2007, 06:34 PM
As you know i have a grey, we have never had it sexed but the breeder seems to think female.
She was hand raised by him , so tends to be more male if she had her way.Although if a strange male was here she would come to me and avoid him.
She talks, she's always learning new things, without really teaching her.
She makes a reasonable amount of noise but not a lot of screaming.
She is my 1st parrot, be she has a mind of her own, and will challenge if she think's she can esp going in.

If i was to get another i would go for a smaller 1 simply because 1 like her is enough.
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-07-2007, 09:26 PM
I would recommend conures everytime!! The pyrhurra (eg Green cheeked, marroon bellied) would be the best idea as they are much quieter. They have a LOT of personality and like a larger parrot, they need to be out of the cage and with your for several hours of the day. I have always had green cheeked conures and just love them, at the moment i have a yellowsided mutation green cheek and a blue throated conure. Both are very quiet, i hardly hear a sound from either!!

I'd always recommend a hand reared one. If you're interested in green cheeks i can give you the details of the breeder i got Skye, my mutation from. I think he has cinnamons, pineapples and blues in the nests at the moment, though obviously they are a little more expensive than the normal ones which you can get for about £120. Theres lots of breeders of normal green cheeks. I only know of 1 breeder of blue throats that has chicks at the moment and she's in Norfolk.

Anyway, hope that helped a bit.. Here's a pic of my two so you can get some idea of what they look. Kai the Blue throated (behind ) if very endangered in the wild so you need all the CITES documentation to own one of those. Green cheeks need no paperwork. Skye is nearest the camera.

And to show how trainable they can be, have a look at the video in the link below! It's a baby sun conure (the noisy ones!!) who the man had only bought 2 eeks previously - smart little birds!!

http://www.parrotalk.net/showthread.php?tid=652