View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 05:26 PM
Sounds to me as if the other dog kicked off at yours, and that he (yours) reacted quite normally in the circumstances ...

I may be wrong, but that's what I think on the basis of your post

Wys
x
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 05:29 PM
Strangely Benjie is better with dogs in the vets, Sadie would be impatient - she hates waiting and Louie has had special comments made on how well behaved he is for such a young dog - the vet was certain I'd given him a sedative

I have easy dogs sometimes - if only they'd behave all the time.

I can only echo what has already been said..
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 06:24 PM
Some dogs "shut down" when they are stressed giving the impression that they are very well trained................ so just be aware of that possibility.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2011, 06:38 PM
As Max is DA, once we come out of the treatment room, I go and put him back in the car, then bring in my handbag and pay!
I can't do that if I'm on my own as I can't drive. If I've got someone with me it's not an issue but most times I've had to take him alone.

Trying to manage a DA dog, handbag, bank card etc in a room smaller than a normal lounge filled with dogs/cats/small furries, people and kids is a nightmare!
Tell me about it, that's why I try to get the last appointment of the day, that way the rooms usually empty when we're paying.
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 10:06 AM
I resort to having dog treats in my pocket - meaning the dog is so much more focused on the contents of the pocket that he's blissfully ignorant of anything else going on... cheap tactic I'll admit - but I've got a dog that would sell me for a biscuit.

The cat, however... gawd... she will pee, puke, yowl, caterwaul and basically start screaming the feline equivalent of "CALL THE RSPCA EVIL HUMAN IS ABUSING ME MAKING ME COME HERE HELP HELP HELP!" It's flipping embarassing!
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Some dogs "shut down" when they are stressed giving the impression that they are very well trained................ so just be aware of that possibility.
Ahh, but I know that Louie for one wasn't, he was wagging his tail - wanting to greet everyone. And I regularly do a vet like check over him so he isn't feeling anything he hasn't before.

However I am very aware of the possibility.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2011, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Holding the collar will make the dog more reactive! Ever seen protection work being done? The dogs are often revved up by being restrained by the collar!

It gives a dog support (hence why some police dogs that look like man killers on the lead are somewhat less so when unleased)!

As I always say, it is not the BARKING dogs you have to worry about.............

The dogs are in each others space, so create some, space that is by leaving dog in car until required.
Just wanted to point out that this isn't always the case, if I hold my dogs collar he becomes much calmer than when he's restrained by the lead. It's almost as if he feels reassured.

I remember being in the vets with my two last time and there was a lady with a Collie that was clearly fear aggressive. It was all going fine as those of us in the waiting room were sat apart from each other, until a bloke came out with his Lurcher. He went and stood right by the Collie with his dog while his partner paid at reception. You could clearly see the Collie was having a hard time dealing with the Lurcher in it's space but the bloke was either totally oblivious or a complete ar$e as he just stood there while the Collie freaked out. If that'd been me I would've asked him to move away I'm afraid.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3