Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
NickyW
New Member!
Female 

18-03-2011, 09:00 AM

Where to start when studding dog?

I have a 4 year old Bobtail Boxer that I may be interested in studding but I have absolutely no idea where to get information on this, can anyone offer any advice?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 09:59 AM
Have you had all the relevant health tests carried out on your Boxer?

Your dog must be healthy (not just because you think so) & be a good example of his breed before you even consider breeding.

Do you show - a dog being shown & winning well will draw interest & maybe other exhibitors with bitches "may" be interested.

Have a look at the numerous BOxers in rescues all over the UK before you even consider breeding.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 10:15 AM
Your first port of call would be the relevant Breed Club if you do not already belong to it.
They have information on membership, relevant health tests for the breed etc etc.

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/se...t.aspx?id=5116

You could then get in touch with breeders of Boxers to discuss the merits of your dog.

Generally speaking it is bitch owners who determine what dog they use and approach stud dog owners for information.

You could advertise your dog at stud for years and nobody touch it because it

a) does not meet the KC breed standard
b) has done no winning in any field
c) does not come from lines that would compliment/add to the bitch line
d) does not have the right temperament etc

Boxers must be heart tested prior to breeding

Then there is your responsibility to aid in rehoming any puppies that bounce.

Also, you must consider what if any changes this will have on your Boxer's outlook on life
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2011, 12:35 PM
On top of all said above, contact his breeder - I am guessing he is a pedigree, with no endorsments.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-03-2011, 11:36 AM
Can you KC register bobtails? Why i think i recall something i dont know but wasnt sure you could in this country (assuming thats where you are?) Not many bobtails here I wouldnt have thought (do you need 2 bobtails to make more bobtails? or just one and the dam would throw a 'mixed' litter?)
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

Thalice
Dogsey Senior
Female 

25-03-2011, 03:59 PM
I would do all the appropriate health tests and keep them up to date as if your dog is any good you will get enquiries without having to advertise providing you get him out there in the show ring to prove himself.

Aged 4 is a bit old for a maiden dog. Stud dogs maintain their fertility by being used at stud so perhaps you should have his fertility tested just in case he is infertile now.

I must point out that when mating dogs you dont just put the dog and bitch together and hope for the best, you must manage the mating so that neither parties get injured and the stud dog owner is usually the person involved in guiding the stud dog to penetrate the bitch and the person who holds them together for the length of the 'tie' - so if you are squeamish, dont bother !!!

I currently have a young dog which I bred and have had several tentative stud enquiries for him, as he is winning in the ring and has the breed lines people are looking for. This is the first time this has happened to me in 15 years of breeding.

As a serious breeder - I wouldnt come to you as it is unlikely a pet has the qualities I am looking for - sorry.

THalice's Mum