Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
It's really hard though, when they start mixing with other kids and going to pre-schools/nurseries/toddler groups/schools, etc. because they want to be like their friends. Would you, for example, refuse to sign the form that allows the school to take your child to the local postbox to post a letter to Santa when all their friends will be doing it? You may want to refuse on principle but that makes the child miss out on an activity. To coin a phrase - it's tough being a parent.
And can you imagine all the other parents ganging up on you if your child has been telling their children that Santa is not real!!
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 07:41 PM
I don`t really understand why Father Christmas is singled out for `outing` though. I mean, people don`t stand up in Pantos bellowing that there`s no such person as Cinderella. And if adults can maintain the fiction of fairies and magic and all sorts of amazing possibilities for children, why not Santa as well?
My children never felt I had hoodwinked them because I told them stories of wizards and goblins, and they never became traumatised when they realised that Superman was just a comic book.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 07:52 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
And can you imagine all the other parents ganging up on you if your child has been telling their children that Santa is not real!!
OMG yes!

One little girl at school told my daughter that Santa isn't bringing her any presents! I said the little girl is wrong and that I rang Santa and told him how kind and helpful she's been with her new baby brother, so Santa is definitely coming to our house.She felt upset because she thought Santa wasn't giving her a present, yet he was giving one to everyone else.
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-12-2010, 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
It's really hard though, when they start mixing with other kids and going to pre-schools/nurseries/toddler groups/schools, etc. because they want to be like their friends. Would you, for example, refuse to sign the form that allows the school to take your child to the local postbox to post a letter to Santa when all their friends will be doing it? You may want to refuse on principle but that makes the child miss out on an activity. To coin a phrase - it's tough being a parent.
If they wanted to I'd let them Santa wouldn't be banned at my house we would just appreciate what is truth and what is fiction. I have a little brother and sister and they didn't believe in Santa but still enjoyed the story if him.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 07:59 PM
Originally Posted by AshMan View Post
If they wanted to I'd let them Santa wouldn't be banned at my house we would just appreciate what is truth and what is fiction. I have a little brother and sister and they didn't believe in Santa but still enjoyed the story if him.
In that case, maybe your child(ren) would put the little girl I mentioned above (the one who told my daugher she'd get no presents) in her place by telling her there's no such thing as Santa anyway!
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I don`t really understand why Father Christmas is singled out for `outing` though. I mean, people don`t stand up in Pantos bellowing that there`s no such person as Cinderella. And if adults can maintain the fiction of fairies and magic and all sorts of amazing possibilities for children, why not Santa as well?
My children never felt I had hoodwinked them because I told them stories of wizards and goblins, and they never became traumatised when they realised that Superman was just a comic book.
Santa is being singled out because unlike superman etc, it is apparently wrong to tell kids that he isn't real.

Which is my point, if they're not bothered that other fantasy/fictional characters aren't real, than whats the big deal about santa.

Originally Posted by AshMan View Post
Exactly.

Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Wouldn't give a stuff if they did, I know how to stand up for myself, and my job as a parent wouldn't include impressing them.

Though I can understand that not everyone is the same as me, so it may be an issue for others.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 10:44 PM
Originally Posted by jols View Post
I do believe we are all a product of our upbringing sometimes for the good and sometimes for the bad.

So what do you do at christmastime?
The day of christmas eve, is normally visit the mothers side of the family day, boxing day is visit the dad's side of the family day.

Christmas day is alternate between my immediate family, and my closest friend/s day.

When we were younger, I used to go with my brother to his dad's on christmas morning for a couple of hours, so he could see his dad and that part of his family, his other half sister/brother etc. I went cos he wanted me to.

This year, I'll have christmas dinner at home with the mother, brother, mother's partner, and maybe his son, depends if he decides to spend christmas with his mother or nan, or us.

After that,we just tend to spend the rest of the day doing our own thing, we may watch a movie together, if we can find one we all agree on...or play some dusty old boardgame someone found in the attic whilst hunting out the decorations previously.

When all other business has been taken care of, the usual routine resumes, each person returns to their own space, and occupies themselves within it, when they aren't being walked or played with etc, the dogs wander between us, until communication between the humans is required.

I'm going to assume yor family doesn't opperate like this.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-12-2010, 07:47 AM
My christmas is as below...[from another thread]

I absolutely love everything about Christmas. I have been buying pressies all through November and wrapped them all on Friday. The Christmas cards are written although I don't send that many. Only to my near and dear.

The tree will go up on Sunday after a visit to see the big fella himself in the red suit.

The miracle on 34th street will be watched in the evening.

Ten day before Christmas the Christmas food will be bought and Christmas eve the veg will be purchased.

Christmas eve we shall attend church for the crib service and sing carols by candlelight,usually get there early as its standing room outside if your late.

Everybody comes to me for christmas day as always and i have a houseful from about 10am til 10pm.

Afre lunch its top of the pops and the queen, a walk on the beach then this year its my turn to pick the ''only fools and horses'' episode.

Season greetings to you all ...................... and I work in retail.

I feel sorry for people who don't enjoy Christmas.

When I was a child much the same but everyone came to our house [mum and dads].

So I really think it is just santa you have a beef with lol.

But the tone in your post makes me thinks you dont enjoy any of the christmassy stuff which makes me sad for you.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2010, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by jols;2111175When I was a child much the same but everyone came to our house [mum and dads

So I really think it is just santa you have a beef with lol.

But the tone in your post makes me thinks you dont enjoy any of the christmassy stuff which makes me sad for you.
Its not really santa as such, it just seems illogical to lie to kids about one fictional character, when they aren't bothered others aren't real. I'd rather they understood and appreciated the sentament, and yes that would include explaining that it has a religious meaning to some people, as apposed to them just focusing on the fantasy elements.

I think the fact I now see christmas stuff for sale in september has had an adverse affect on my christmas spirit levels. When it was the end of november and december it was an interesting change to the routine of the rest of the year, but as advertizing etc has got earlier and earlier, my opinion now is, oh for god sake, its not for another 3 months.

My birthday's near christmas the 13th to be exact, so who knows if that has had an effect as well.

Though tbh this year I just want this month and january out of the way as quick as possible. Feb is the month of animex and the time I get to meet a few interesting people from the US, I find that more exciting a prospect than christmas.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-12-2010, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
Santa is being singled out because unlike superman etc, it is apparently wrong to tell kids that he isn't real.

No tooth fairy in your house then?
Page 7 of 17 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 > Last »