Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-12-2010, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
You tell them Santa had to sign the sex offenders register,Rudolfs crack habit had gotten out of hand and the sleigh was towed to a Police compound.

I think they would believe this too if allowed to watch Hollyoaks.
I almost spat out my hot chocolate at that!!! Oh the images in my head!

I meet Santa every year! Last year santa told me he lived in Essex and he had a full time job!
AshMan
Dogsey Senior
Male 

05-12-2010, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I understand.

Out of interest, what do you tell them if they ask why Santa didn't bring them a present? I'm thinking if their friends tell them etc. For instance, when my daughter was at pre-school they all posted their lists to Santa.
I guess ill cross that hurdle when i reach it. I dont remember a time when i expectedanythingfrom him to be honest. I handed my christmas listto my dad with catologue number and all
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 09:08 PM
Was having this discussion with someone yesterday.

I don't have kids, and I don't want any however, if I ever ended up with any, I wouldn't be lying to them. I'd be teaching them that they can/should appreciate the sentaments, but not the supernatural elements.

Not believing in magic didn't do me any harm, knowing fairy tales were made up storries never inpacted on my creativity, I'm of the opinion that deluding young minds can cause more problems than explaining the truth, from day one.

I'd rather kids were taught to appreciate the beauty of the world they live in, not believe in the magic of a world they don't, and never can.
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-12-2010, 10:59 PM
Santa in this house will exist in some form or other.

I think we all need a little magic in our lives. Even if it doesn't REALLY exist, the thought that it MIGHT exist makes life wonderful in a small way.

Christmas is one of those times where it all comes to the fore and for a small time we can all be children again, and go to sleep hoping that we have been good enough the rest of the year for Santa to come and deliver pressies to us too. Even a cynical nearly 40 year old like me can hope...surely...surely that is allowed for a short time?

For a little while let us believe in the myth, the legend and the magic.

Davie loves it, all of it and I for one will not spoil it for him

Everyone, I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and Santa comes to you and is generous.
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 12:04 AM
*Shrugs*

If kids want to ride on the backs of dragons, they can do it in their imaginations, that is what it is therefore. I wouldn't go round telling them for a few years of their lives that dragons are real though. Santa is the same imo.

I haven't and hopefuly never will need some external source to shove me into any kind of fantasy rhelm. If I want to get lost in one, I can make one up on the spot, my imagination runs 24/7 365 days a year. The difference is, I've got no desire to pretend I believe any of it could be real, even for a few moments.

You guys can keep your fairydust and fat men in red suits me, I'll stick with watching how the sun dances across the surface of the water, how it sets the sky alight as it approaches dusk, how the moon illuminates the night...A lie can't hold a candle to that.
wickerman
Dogsey Junior
Male 

06-12-2010, 12:23 AM
very poetic but the images you suggest are just natural images you interpret them as you like but they are not magical they are factual they exist every day of the year belief in santa comes from the heart and soul not from the weather forecast a pretty sunset is one thing a childs face on christmas morning is something else
Will
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 09:31 AM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
*Shrugs*

If kids want to ride on the backs of dragons, they can do it in their imaginations, that is what it is therefore. I wouldn't go round telling them for a few years of their lives that dragons are real though. Santa is the same imo.

I haven't and hopefuly never will need some external source to shove me into any kind of fantasy rhelm. If I want to get lost in one, I can make one up on the spot, my imagination runs 24/7 365 days a year. The difference is, I've got no desire to pretend I believe any of it could be real, even for a few moments.

You guys can keep your fairydust and fat men in red suits me, I'll stick with watching how the sun dances across the surface of the water, how it sets the sky alight as it approaches dusk, how the moon illuminates the night...A lie can't hold a candle to that.
Nature is certainly wonderful and the two are not mutually exclusive in our house. My little girl was fascinated by the frost needles on our fence and the lacy spider webs this morning.
jols
Dogsey Junior
Female 

06-12-2010, 10:14 AM
Was having this discussion with someone yesterday.

I don't have kids, and I don't want any however, if I ever ended up with any, I wouldn't be lying to them. I'd be teaching them that they can/should appreciate the sentaments, but not the supernatural elements.

Not believing in magic didn't do me any harm, knowing fairy tales were made up storries never inpacted on my creativity, I'm of the opinion that deluding young minds can cause more problems than explaining the truth, from day one.

I'd rather kids were taught to appreciate the beauty of the world they live in, not believe in the magic of a world they don't, and never can.
Spoken like a true person with no kids, your whole outlook on life changes when you have kids and you can never argue this point until you have the experience of having a child.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 11:49 AM
*Shrugs*

If kids want to ride on the backs of dragons, they can do it in their imaginations, that is what it is therefore. I wouldn't go round telling them for a few years of their lives that dragons are real though.
We used to drive across the Welsh border frequently when the boys were small - there`s a huge sign which says welcome to Wales (in Welsh) with a large image of a red dragon. The kids asked what it said and I told them it was
BEWARE OF DRAGONS
Well, we got a lot of quiet travelling while they stared out, eyes like saucers, looking for dragons.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
We used to drive across the Welsh border frequently when the boys were small - there`s a huge sign which says welcome to Wales (in Welsh) with a large image of a red dragon. The kids asked what it said and I told them it was
BEWARE OF DRAGONS
Well, we got a lot of quiet travelling while they stared out, eyes like saucers, looking for dragons.
HAHAAAA!!! CAD - that made my day I can actually imagine your boys staring out the windows looking for them - did they ever see one?
Page 4 of 17 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »