Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mikibb66
New Member!
Female 

10-08-2010, 09:02 AM

Chin spots and bleeding

Hi,

Benson is 22 months and is a South African Mastiff, his chin beeds now and again mainly when he is chewing something and his chin is rubbing on the ground. I wipe it when I can after he has had a drink as he dribbles, but need some advise on a cream that I can put on it for him? I have been told that it might be Puppy Acne and to keep it dry and clean, which I do but it flares up every now and then.

Does anyone else have this problem with their dogs chin?

Looking forward to some advice.

Miki
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2010, 09:10 AM
Hi Miki

It does sound very much like puppy acne. Both of our Great Danes had bouts of it when they were younger. If I remember rightly, when they were having an outbreak of spots, we used to bath their muzzles in salt water to reduce the risk of infection. I think my mum did use a cream on them, can't remember what it was though. If no-one on here can suggest a cream, might be worth a quick phone call to your vets, who should be able to advise what to use.

It's not very nice when they are all lumpy and sore but they do grow out of it, probably won't be to long now for Benson.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-08-2010, 09:10 AM
My last Dobe used to get them but touch would my boy I have now doesnt suffer. Think the best is anti bacterial wipes. there are creams you can get from the vet etc but i was never keen to cover them with a cream as i thought it best to let the air get to them. hopefully he should grow out of it, bet hes massive already!! Bet hes rubbish at hide n seek

some people think it is better to not use plastic bowls as they can harbour germs?
hades
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-08-2010, 09:50 AM
My boy had Puppy Acne, it didnt look very nice, but he never had any problems with it.
If it flared up or bleed, I used to clean it a with a mild salt water solution and cotton wool, then gentley pat it dry and rub on a little sudocream. Always seem to do the trick.
Hope this helps
Hevvur
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2010, 09:59 AM
I've always called it 'Bully Boil'......Teagan is 6 and still gets it now and again! (2 weeks ago being last time!)
I just keep her mouth/chin clean and dry
mikibb66
New Member!
Female 

10-08-2010, 11:57 AM
Hi, thanks for your replies.

I think I will give sudocream a try and just carry on and make sure it is dry and clean.

Regards,

Miki
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Boxers get it too as a matter of course. Our vet advised rubbing Canesten into the affected areas - quite effective it is too. You can buy it in a chemist over the counter.

At the minute both ours look like they have acne - its allergy - grass. Constant struggle in this weather with allergies
mikibb66
New Member!
Female 

10-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Mmmmm now I am wondering if perhaps it is Grass that is making it worst?

I will keep an eye on when it flares up.
Crichton
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-08-2010, 02:23 PM
My flatcoat suffered from acne as a teenager and I used aloe vera gel. If they lick it off it doesn't matter as its natural and works from the outside in and also the inside out.

June