Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 07:49 AM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
As sad as it sounds that is why they are choosing them dogs, the rescuers have to be kind of heartless, the phrase cruel to be kind springs to mind, as when they are looking at dogs to rescue they do have to look for the ones that can be rehomed over the ones that need help, but wouldn't be so rehomeable, the reason I'm afraid is simple, if they take the dogs that would take longer to find homes they wouldn't be able to rescue so many dogs so regulary, so by rescueing the more desirable dogs they can save more lives, which in the long run is a better thing for the masses, but not so much the individuals, but they can only do what they can, and they are doing a great thing for the dogs they can help.
Yes i can see the reasoning behind it
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-04-2010, 07:56 AM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
It's very possible a black mutt died because you and everyone else goes for the pretty ones, does anyone ever think about that?

It was not the point of topic though was it, the point was you said Rips was talking nonsense because she said that rescues leave behind the hard to own dogs (mostly black), but you have gone on to admit that is is true.

Why people go for the pretty one is simple, choice and for some reasons the little black mongrel is the one thats the least appealing to the eye in those who go to rescue...

Does anyone think about that, yes, but then to work that out you world have to then work out why people prefer one thing over another

Also it was this rather sweeping statement from Rips (who it appears rescues can do not a thing right) and are the root of all evil.
You know Spot you can really let your self down sometimes, anyone would think you where personally under attack, from some of the reactions you give , you put a completely different take on what someone has said to feed your own sense of injustice towards the canine world.

She did not say that, you have read it , tossed it around in your head , and spit it out to suit your argument..

you are not under attack, rescue is not under attack the flipping dogs are not under attack.

Its a simply observation that rescue and breeding can and is often two sides of a coin.

If we did nto have irresponsible breeder churning pups out at will , with no comeback, we would have no need to have rescues on the scale we have now.

If one was regulated the other would not be needed.

So you can twist my meanings once again.. here goes, one is the support system for the other.

Go ahead and toss it around to fit your argument , its always interesting to see how you make the omelette out of the eggs
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 08:34 AM
....erm i know a hellava lot of people who choose 'the ugly' animal or the 'misfit' to rescue

i think there should be a ban on breeding fullstop for a couple of years..but it aint gonna happen.
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2010, 08:55 AM
think there should be a ban on breeding fullstop for a couple of years..but it aint gonna happen

A ban on breeding ?- why should I as an ethical, responsible breeder of a rare breed put a halt to my breeding plans ? - those who are on my puppy list are there because they want a Groenendael - they do NOT want a Staff cross or a lurcher or one of the myriad cross breeds currently in rescue - why should they not have that choice ? it's like saying that we should not 'breed' more children until every unwanted child is adopted !

Yvonne
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-04-2010, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
....erm i know a hellava lot of people who choose 'the ugly' animal or the 'misfit' to rescue

And sadly there seems to be more who dont, otherwise they would not be sitting in rescue for longer than most..

i think there should be a ban on breeding fullstop for a couple of years..but it aint gonna happen.
Dont agree , it only takes a couple of yrs to lose good breeding stock, if you break that cycle then you will have to resort to breeding from inferior stock.
Dont really see why reputable breeders who have been bleeding for yrs and breeding responsibly should be penalised for those who simply dont give a dam.

I think tighter legalisation should be brought into play
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2010, 09:19 AM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post

That is exactly what I think too. There are so many dogs in rescue and shelters of all breeds that breeding is just adding to their struggles. Another alternative would be that some sort of strict legislation was brought into play ie: controlling the breeders so that they have less litters or have to prove they have sufficient homes ready - difficult to legislate I would have thought but somethink certainly needs doing.
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2010, 09:45 AM
There are so many dogs in rescue and shelters of all breeds that breeding is just adding to their struggles.
well no there are not - I am the co-ordinator for BSD rescue and because of the overwhelmingly responsible attitudes of most Belgian Shepherd Dog breeders we have no Groenendael and Tervueren available on rescue - and 9 people on our waiting list wanting to rehome .

I have never seen a Japanese Chin/Australian Cattle Dog/ Keeshond or Bouvier etc etc on any general rescue site does this mean that these and other breeds should not be bred simply because shelters are full of a narrow representation of the over 200 breeds currently available ?
AllyLambell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2010, 10:02 AM
OK if you want to be pedantic I will correct myself - there are dogs of the most common/wanted breeds in shelters and rescues with some of the more unusual breeds either unavailable or to a lesser degree... do I satisfy you now? As there are 1000's of breeds of dogs then I perhaps should have explained that I meant the more common or wanted dogs as the larger percentage of people probably haven't heard of even half of the breeds around. Does this then mean that as I am being pulled up for not being exact all posters should be more careful what they write or how they explain themselves because I think that you were a bit bullish there and a nicer approach would get a better reaction.
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2010, 10:07 AM
your post did not say a ban on the most 'common' breeds but on all - hence my 'bullish' reply
Emma
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2010, 10:07 AM
It is the weirdest thing, I have no doubt we all love dogs but it seems to be a choice of either ethical breeding or rescuing, and a side must be chosen.
I get both sides, I think both are right, and are valid and are not harming the dogs.
Some are passionate for rescues, some are passionate for a certain breed and ethically do so.
Not sure why anyone is wrong in this and should be seen as harming dogs.
Not every dog can be rescued, but furthering breeds isn't wrong.
Maybe it is the BYB's and puppy farmers that are the wrong ones and the laws don't address these issues enough and put enough resources into it.
I wonder how much of choice rather than right or wrong are upsetting people
Closed Thread
Page 47 of 50 « First < 37 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 >