Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2012, 06:14 PM

Great places to walk dogs in Essex

I'm after suggestions really.

I'm in Mid Essex and always up for visiting new places to walk. I don't mind travelling too far, I love walking at St Peters on the Wall & the river in SWF.

Any other fab places we are missing out on?
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Depends on where exactly you are, but along Benfleet creek and around the fields is lovely particularly in the summer, and there are several footpaths around the River Chelmer in Chelmsford too, almost always really quiet people wise and lots of room to run!

Langdon Hills is also lovely but does get really busy in the summertime.
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-04-2012, 06:36 PM
Originally Posted by Mummy2Max View Post
Depends on where exactly you are, but along Benfleet creek and around the fields is lovely particularly in the summer, and there are several footpaths around the River Chelmer in Chelmsford too, almost always really quiet people wise and lots of room to run!

Langdon Hills is also lovely but does get really busy in the summertime.
I'm in Chelmsford and one of our walks is along the Chelmer (Baddow Meads). Haven't been to Benfleet though & I don't think that's too far away. Langdon Hills is Basildon? That's not far either. thanks
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2012, 07:58 AM
Thorndon Park (there are two `halves`) is nice.
Jfk
Dogsey Junior
Female 

30-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Avoid the south section of thorndon on Saturday's during the summer as the BBQ area is crazy and you can't get parked.

Hylands Park is lovely
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2012, 08:09 PM
Originally Posted by Jfk View Post
Avoid the south section of thorndon on Saturday's during the summer as the BBQ area is crazy and you can't get parked.

Hylands Park is lovely
Thanks, the quieter the better as one of mine is FA.

I live 1.5 miles from Hylands, lovely place & walked there daily for the last 25 years til my pup was killed there in October . Never been back and can't say I ever will now.....
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2012, 08:13 PM
I used to live by the river chelmer! Nearer the Army and Navy rather than Baddow way. When we walked along that way (well loop) we used to stop off at the pub, or Miller and Carter steak house. You go along fields and a canal...Just be aware that there are a small herd of horses grazing (incl. a stallion), but they never cause a issue.

Hylands house is nice too.

Thordon is another nice one.

National Trust at Hatfield Forest is a favourite of mine too.
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by spockky boy View Post
I used to live by the river chelmer! Nearer the Army and Navy rather than Baddow way. When we walked along that way (well loop) we used to stop off at the pub, or Miller and Carter steak house. You go along fields and a canal...Just be aware that there are a small herd of horses grazing (incl. a stallion), but they never cause a issue.

Hylands house is nice too.

Thordon is another nice one.

National Trust at Hatfield Forest is a favourite of mine too.
You must have lived right near me then!

We avoid the field with the horses in, my goldie would chase them! Do you remember the tiny bridge (plank of wood) that goes over the lock? He nearly fell in there

The chelmer has completely flooded this week, as you drive towards miller & carter it looks like you are driving over the sea!
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2012, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by ljru1970 View Post
You must have lived right near me then!

We avoid the field with the horses in, my goldie would chase them! Do you remember the tiny bridge (plank of wood) that goes over the lock? He nearly fell in there

The chelmer has completely flooded this week, as you drive towards miller & carter it looks like you are driving over the sea!
haha! I used to live behind the retail park! I remember back in early 2010 when it flooded, we attempted to walk along the houses that back onto the fields where the canal is.... wish I had wellies. Town was like a massive pond and Writtle was severely flooded too.

Up towards Boreham there are a few nice walks near Mc'ds, but without driving it myself I couldn't tell you how to get there

In writtle there is a wonderful track near Writtle college cow watering campus which is about 1-2 miles long, which then goes onto more fields etc which is a lovely walk (only ever done part of it on my horse).... You can also connect it to the fields that the college own and walk along the footpaths there too. Newney green has a great pub too if your going that way!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >