View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 06:55 PM
It's not so bad now I live with my parents again and I finish work before it gets dark so my dogs can still go for a decent walk. The mud and muck isnt so much of a problem as mine stay in the kitchen only so it's only the ceramic floor which gets dirty.

When I had my own house it could be a struggle. I used to be up at 4:30am for work back then so my bedtime was 10pm sharp. I finished work after dark, took the dogs the best walk I could then came home and started on the house. The ex wasnt any help and sometimes I never sat down all day.

I suppose it's just establishing a routine but it is a pain in the rear.

Look on the bright side...On December 22nd, the days start getting longer!
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 06:56 PM
OMG!!! where do i start?

I'm up about 6am every morning, do breakfast for Mia and all the animals, then i have to take both dogs on the school run to school, then bring them back before going to work.

Then off to work until 1.30pm, home by 2ish, just time to take both dogs out again for a run before picking Mia up from school, (not to mention taking her to her various after school activities) once home its, help with homework, dinner for humans and animals, then take the dogs out for their evening walk.

by now its about 8pm, bath for Mia and the whole bedtime routine, might get to sit down by 9pm (if i'm lucky) dogs out in the garden about 10pm for their last wee, then collapse to do it all again the next day!!

Occasionally i get some help with the dogs from Mia's dad but thats only if he's here. Apart from that i do it all on my own, I dont really think about the weather, the only respite i get is if its raining, then both dogs refuse to go out!

So i'm afraid, you said it yourself......suck it up!!!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
my lot are hibernating

when I do drag them out they avoid mud like the plague if they can, but on the odd day its unavoidable, but hey ho thats life,

lol pidge there was me thinking your were the queen of organised as well.

when you think about it, you should really have more time for yourself in the evening? I tend to think we spend more time out and about with the dogs in the summer when the nights are lighter?

or maybe thats just me, when my lot come out of hibernation lol.
I think that's it! I am an organised person (control freak maybe ;o) so because I haven't quite found a routine that works (being our first winter with him) I'm swimming!!

Our routine would never be the same in winter as it is in summer either as Woody adores his off lead walks (as do we) and summer allows us more hours in the day to do this. In winter they have to be done between 2 and 4pm or he doesn't get one.

Originally Posted by Vodka Vixen View Post
OMG!!! where do i start?

I'm up about 6am every morning, do breakfast for Mia and all the animals, then i have to take both dogs on the school run to school, then bring them back before going to work.

Then off to work until 1.30pm, home by 2ish, just time to take both dogs out again for a run before picking Mia up from school, (not to mention taking her to her various after school activities) once home its, help with homework, dinner for humans and animals, then take the dogs out for their evening walk.

by now its about 8pm, bath for Mia and the whole bedtime routine, might get to sit down by 9pm (if i'm lucky) dogs out in the garden about 10pm for their last wee, then collapse to do it all again the next day!!

Occasionally i get some help with the dogs from Mia's dad but thats only if he's here. Apart from that i do it all on my own, I dont really think about the weather, the only respite i get is if its raining, then both dogs refuse to go out!

So i'm afraid, you said it yourself......suck it up!!!
Sucked!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 07:41 PM
At least you've got Neil home to help out mate.

Try getting up at 6:00am to walk dog, get home and dry dog, get showered and ready for work. Dog-proof the kitchen, let him out for a wee and give him his breakfast before leaving for work.

Come home at lunch and spend my hour hour grabbing a quick bite and then entertaining Monty, Go back to work.

Get home from work, get changed and straight out the door for a boring road walk with Monty which he hates and is a PITA for the whole way round. Do this for 45 minutes and get increasingly wound up. Get home, dry the dog off and get changed.

By this time it's about half 6 and i've still got to shower, change, do last nights dishes, cook tonights tea, do any housework that needs doing, feed the dog, play with him as he's not fulfilled from his road walk and then finally get about an hour or two to myself.

Roll on Friday when Rich is home for Xmas - oh wait, no nothing will change except for not having to do the morning walk.

Sorry, wasn't having a dig but I'm finding in incredibly hard at this time of year but ironically the one thing that keeps me sane is the one thing that occupies most my time - MONTY!
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by esmed View Post
At least you've got Neil home to help out mate.

Try getting up at 6:00am to walk dog, get home and dry dog, get showered and ready for work. Dog-proof the kitchen, let him out for a wee and give him his breakfast before leaving for work.

Come home at lunch and spend my hour hour grabbing a quick bite and then entertaining Monty, Go back to work.

Get home from work, get changed and straight out the door for a boring road walk with Monty which he hates and is a PITA for the whole way round. Do this for 45 minutes and get increasingly wound up. Get home, dry the dog off and get changed.

By this time it's about half 6 and i've still got to shower, change, do last nights dishes, cook tonights tea, do any housework that needs doing, feed the dog, play with him as he's not fulfilled from his road walk and then finally get about an hour or two to myself.

Roll on Friday when Rich is home for Xmas - oh wait, no nothing will change except for not having to do the morning walk.

Sorry, wasn't having a dig but I'm finding in incredibly hard at this time of year but ironically the one thing that keeps me sane is the one thing that occupies most my time - MONTY!
Ahhh maaan, now I feel like a right whinger!! Thanks mate!!

Nah, seriously, I know you're struggling but I have to say you are spot on with your last paragraph. Absolutely spot on, bless you xx
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by Pidge View Post
Ahhh maaan, now I feel like a right whinger!! Thanks mate!!

Nah, seriously, I know you're struggling but I have to say you are spot on with your last paragraph. Absolutely spot on, bless you xx
Cheers mate, I soldier on and try not to moan too much but definitely know how you feel.
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 08:47 PM
I take my boys out in the dark evenings for an hour and a half with my friend and her Briard, whatever the weather. Sometimes when I come home from work it's the very last thing I want to do, but I am soooooo glad I have once I get out in the fresh air. The mud gets hosed off when we get back and after a quick rub with a towel, they lie on their beds on a towel eating a pigs ear. Then they crash in front of the fire to dry off properly. It's not so bad and the alternative is life without them which is certainly not an option.

Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 08:54 PM
For me its the dark mornings and nights that make it difficult as in my area i dont feel happy walking the dogs on my own in the dark so it means they have a shorter walk. The damp weather plays havoc on my back so something i normally enjoy is now a chore and off lead time is reduced as we just cant keep an eye on them.

The constant mud and damp is driving me nuts as well, why cant we have a proper winter?
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Ben still gets off lead in the dark, he gets off in the park and always stays close by he's more worried about the dark than we are!! must be the jedi mind control from Shona's lot!! But seriously, some might frown upon it but the park is enclosed and he never strays further than a flashing collar can be seen and we still throw kongs for him at night usually with a pirece of cold ham slapped round the inside (very hard to get out but creates a smell he'll chase) And same in morning though the ball goes out then as strangely I feel happier in morning darkness than evening darkness - mad? yes just a little!!
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Benzmum View Post
Ben still gets off lead in the dark, he gets off in the park and always stays close by he's more worried about the dark than we are!! must be the jedi mind control from Shona's lot!! But seriously, some might frown upon it but the park is enclosed and he never strays further than a flashing collar can be seen and we still throw kongs for him at night usually with a pirece of cold ham slapped round the inside (very hard to get out but creates a smell he'll chase) And same in morning though the ball goes out then as strangely I feel happier in morning darkness than evening darkness - mad? yes just a little!!
I let mine off in the dark and they charge around the same as they do in the light, they don't seem to notice the difference. We even play "wang" in the dark, it just takes Ollie a bit longer to find the ball!
Page 4 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »