Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 03:41 PM

Picking up dogs

I find this a very strange thing to do, not to your own dog if you wish to, but someone picking up your dog!!!

A couple of weeks ago at dog school, when we were at the end of the lesson and having a bit of a play on the agility equipment one of the guys who goes occasionally said to me "is she heavy" looking at Culotte, before I had time to say anything he had picked her up . Now Culotte isnt a huge dog but not tiny either she is about 16kg and she looked as shocked as I was.
Today he did it again this time I did say to him I found it a very strange thing to do and most dogs really dont like it and its trying to dominate the dog, the guy looked at me as if I was mad. I also said to him that if he had done it to Ted when he was alive (and he was a very friendly dog) he would have bitten him. Has anyone else had a stranger pick up their dog?
Helen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 03:47 PM
No, and I wouldn't dream of doing it to a dog I didn't know, and can't see a reason to do it to one that you do know!

Helen
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 03:50 PM
Gosh that's very starange behaviour?

We had someone grab Parker's harness once on the park and aim him at his friend shouting "KILL, KILL"! To put it mildly I was not amused and glared at him. Jamie said there was something wrong with him mentally though.

If anyone suddenly picked up Izzy I think she would bite, she would certainly growl and be very stressed and do one of her wide open mouth theatrical yawns she does when she is not happy with what you are doing!

If anyone picked up Parker he wouldn't bother though as he is nearly the same weight as your Cullotte I doubt they would want to carry him for long! Actually as he is quite lazy I think he would quite enjoy a little carry!

The "dog-collector" lady round the corner said to me when I was fussing her year old JRT x Shih Ztu pup that I could pick him up if I wanted but I didn't as Parker would jump up at him as he thinks it's a game if people pick their dogs up and poor little thing probably wouldn't like being picked up by relative strangers anyway.
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 07:43 PM
I had a stranger try and lift up one of the TM's feet last week. The dog looked as shocked as I was and it's a good job he has a nice temperament as that kind of behaviour could get you badly bitten.

The bloke admitted he had learning difficulties and he meant no harm. Lucky for him, the TM is very good a sensing people's intentions.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Many people don't know HOW to lift a dog.

They will just go for picking it up under the armpits.
Very painful for some dogs.

I don't get total strangers trying to pick up any dogs I've owned. For people who aren't strangers I will quickly tell them DON'T PICK HER UP - SHE DOESN'T LIKE IT.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by DoKhyi View Post
I had a stranger try and lift up one of the TM's feet last week. The dog looked as shocked as I was and it's a good job he has a nice temperament as that kind of behaviour could get you badly bitten.

The bloke admitted he had learning difficulties and he meant no harm. Lucky for him, the TM is very good a sensing people's intentions.
Ah-you've reminded me of when I had our lovely Cherry and I was walking her through the city to meet my husband from work. A man with a toddler asked if she could pet her and I said yes, Cherry was very good with children/people.

The little girl then went around Cherry, picking each foot up gently, held her tail and looked in her ears
I would have stopped her if she had been at all rough or if Cherry was bothered but Cherry wasn't at all fussed and just stood still wagging her tail bless her. I had a funny feeling this little girl would grow up to be a jusge or a vet
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by Milk maid View Post
I find this a very strange thing to do, not to your own dog if you wish to, but someone picking up your dog!!!

A couple of weeks ago at dog school, when we were at the end of the lesson and having a bit of a play on the agility equipment one of the guys who goes occasionally said to me "is she heavy" looking at Culotte, before I had time to say anything he had picked her up . Now Culotte isnt a huge dog but not tiny either she is about 16kg and she looked as shocked as I was.
Today he did it again this time I did say to him I found it a very strange thing to do and most dogs really dont like it and its trying to dominate the dog, the guy looked at me as if I was mad. I also said to him that if he had done it to Ted when he was alive (and he was a very friendly dog) he would have bitten him. Has anyone else had a stranger pick up their dog?
No, but when I was at a car wash the other week (I was sitting on the side whilst the interior was done) A random man just came up and started stroking my pup who was in my arms .
No is it ok or anything. And he was talking to the guy that owns the car wash whist doing it and not me . He then asked if he could hold him and was he a doberman . I said no he is a sausage dog look at his legs
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

02-05-2012, 08:45 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
Ah-you've reminded me of when I had our lovely Cherry and I was walking her through the city to meet my husband from work. A man with a toddler asked if she could pet her and I said yes, Cherry was very good with children/people.

The little girl then went around Cherry, picking each foot up gently, held her tail and looked in her ears
I would have stopped her if she had been at all rough or if Cherry was bothered but Cherry wasn't at all fussed and just stood still wagging her tail bless her. I had a funny feeling this little girl would grow up to be a jusge or a vet
Awww - that's lovely.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-05-2012, 07:13 AM
Buy him a large Teddy Bear? Maybe he just needs a cuddle.
theo&milly
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-05-2012, 10:50 AM
I started a thread on this a while back called "Stop picking up my dog" or something like that. People always want and do pick up my dog and it's annoying. I tell people now please don't pick him up it frightens him. Theo is growing at a rate of knots so I doubt they'll be wanting to pick him up now. He also likes getting the muddiest he can be. That puts peeps off now too. I would never even think of picking up someone's dog any more than I'd pick up their child!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >